Harvest Caye/Snorkeling

Finnrox

I am trying to start the planning process for excursions for our trip on the Getaway in July, and have noticed that none of the NCL excursions include snorkeling in Harvest Caye. I have heard that a shuttle will run you from Harvest Caye over to Placencia, and it looks like we can pick up a snorkel trip there. Has anyone done this yet, and if so, do you have any advice to make sure it goes smoothly?

I am also interested in responses. The best i can figure is that you need to take the NCL ferry ($20 RT) to Placencia. I cannot get to the dive shop for the early boat and would need to set up a private boat dive. Hoping to find others on my ship who want to dive. The "ferry" is not listed as an shore excursion on the NCL website.

No snorkeling worth trying on Harvest Caye. I tried. Saw almost nothing but did get stung by a jellyfish.:rolleyes:

This time we did the ferry ride to Placencia; did not try to snorkel and it might be difficult to do because of timing. We did not see anyone at the dock there offering tours, except renting golf carts.

I’m at a loss as to why NCL wouldn’t set up snorkeling trips in Harvest Caye, as this part of Belize has some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean. Sounds like I will have to ferry over and set up a private trip ahead of time.

I am heading there at the end of February and was wondering the same about snorkeling. I did come across this excursion...although it does seem like with the travel time on the ferry plus to the snorkeling location there is only an hour to snorkel. I will update the post if I see or hear of any snorkeling excursions while I am there.

https://www.shoretrips.com/excursion/country-belize-hvc-147224/harvest-caye-belize/snorkel-laughing-bird-caye

From my research — we sail in the next couple of weeks — the ferry runs 9:00-3:30, is $20-25, and you are assigned times to come and go, usually a four-hour block (such as 9:30-1:30); I’ve read that you can take a last ferry (3:ish) at your own risk (there is limited seating).

I’ve read that, once in Placencia, you can rent golf carts and use the public beaches. I’ve contacted Splash Dive Belize, who offer a private two-stop snorkling tours ($95pp)

• 4 months later...

Simple reason, there's not an abundance of sea life there. It's a man made island (yes, they dug and loaded in sand and dirt and added to a small piece of land). As such, there just has not been enough time for a legitimate ecosystem to develop. I'd say in 10+ years, maybe... Just about the time they're selling the island ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
What did you end up doing for a snorkeling excursion? I'm going there in February and would like to see more than the island.:):)

We ended up doing a snorkel trip from Harvest Caye that bluntly put was not worth the money, especially considering that we are experienced snorkelers. If you have never snorkeled before, the trip would probably be great, but I would recommend taking the ferry over to Placencia and go with a more experienced crew.

Hello! Wha did you end up figuring out? I'm going upcoming February and want to snorkel or dive.

Thanks!

I am also interested in responses. The best i can figure is that you need to take the NCL ferry ($20 RT) to Placencia. I cannot get to the dive shop for the early boat and would need to set up a private boat dive. Hoping to find others on my ship who want to dive. The "ferry" is not listed as an shore excursion on the NCL website.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure willing to figure out a nice area for snorkeling or diving if time permits.

It would be nice if NCL had something set up, but it might be more if they do..

I'll be checking into it again . There are many options for guides

I will be on the ship the last week in February...Willing to work on sharing any way away from Harvest Caye?

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on the ship the last week of February...maybe there's a place to post request on the ship?

I am trying to start the planning process for excursions for our trip on the Getaway in July, and have noticed that none of the NCL excursions include snorkeling in Harvest Caye. I have heard that a shuttle will run you from Harvest Caye over to Placencia, and it looks like we can pick up a snorkel trip there. Has anyone done this yet, and if so, do you have any advice to make sure it goes smoothly?

How did this workout? Any recommendations? Thank you