Fiji to Papeete cruise

jennyjayfl

We are looking at booking the 13 night Fiji to Papeete cruise being offered next year and was wondering if anyone on this board may have done this itinerary (or the reverse). We would likely stay a few nights pre cruise in Fiji and a few nights post cruise in Moorea as well, but are taking advantage of the free air being offered from LAX via the cruise line. Can any one offer suggestions as to arranging flights, what time we board the ship in Fiji, places to stay in Fiji ( I am not sure where in Fiji we board the ship from), and any other tidbits of info?

Thanks,

Jenny:)

I did the itinerary in 2009 November. I had heard from staff that the Fall one was smoother than the spring one . We had really calm seas.

Let me know if there is anything particular you are interested in. We didnt stay either end. Had been a few times to Moorea and I believe that one has to go to the outlying islands for the true Fiji experience.

We are booked on that cruise for Oct 27, next year for our anniversary. I have the itinerary, if you are interested. We have been on the PG twice, and loved it.

The stories and pictures are on our website www.stevekathytravels.com

Do you think you could post the itinerary for me to view? Nothing is listed on PG's website yet, and the only info I received was from a brief conversation with their agent today. We are looking at the reverse itinerary 11/20. Any feedback as to traveling here this time of year? I read your blogs on your previous two trips and it looks absolutely wonderful!

Thanks,

Jenny

We did this cruise in June, 2007. We enjoyed the cruise very much, but we like the Society and Cook Islands much better. We went through the cruise line, Regent at the time, and the hotel is Fiji left a lot to be desired. Still, it was a wonderful cruise. :)

Do you think you could post the itinerary for me to view? Nothing is listed on PG's website yet, and the only info I received was from a brief conversation with their agent today. We are looking at the reverse itinerary 11/20. Any feedback as to traveling here this time of year? I read your blogs on your previous two trips and it looks absolutely wonderful!

Thanks,

Jenny

If you go to http://www.pgcruises.com/destinations/itineraries/20-night/default.aspx

and take off the Sydney and New Caledonia legs that will be the itinerary

We did this cruise in June, 2007. We enjoyed the cruise very much, but we like the Society and Cook Islands much better. We went through the cruise line, Regent at the time, and the hotel is Fiji left a lot to be desired. Still, it was a wonderful cruise. :)

Texed,

Thanks for your opinion about the cruise itinerary. We are deciding between the shorter 11 night cook and society islands cruise that you mentioned versus this 13 night version which travels to Fiji. We enjoy diving so that was part of the reason for wanting to also go to Fiji. Which hotel in Fiji did you stay at in Fiji? What other aspects of Fiji did you not like as compared to what you enjoy about the society and cook islands?

I appreciate all the responses and opinions.. Thanks!

We were in Fiji last summer. One typically flies into Nadi. The port city is Suva and I believe this is where the PG docks for the beginning/end of its Fiji trips. There are flights between Nadi and Suva, but I have no idea how PG gets its customers to Suva.

On the south coast there is a delightful small resort that we stayed at for two nights to recover from jet lag. http://www.surfingfiji.com/ Though they can arrange diving, they are not a dive resort. They are also not your typical surfer's hangout. They will arrange transport to/from either Suva or Nadi.

BUT if you are keen divers, I suggest you consider adding a short week onto your trip and go to Mai Dive on Kadavu Island. This involves a short flight from Nadi ( or possibly Suva, but I don't know about that) and a boat ride ( I think at least an hour) to get to. We didn't go there, but good friends whom we dive and travel with did and they said it was an amazing experience. They are five star travellers, so if they were impressed, it was impressive. Very remote and simple accommodations but so well done and great diving.

We went to Beqa Lagoon Resort, which I would not recommend as it takes too many guests at one time. We enjoyed the diving but others had disappointing experiences. But it is pretty convenient to Suva and Nadi, so you could consider it. If you do go, I suggest you take your own equipment and remember that the water is likely cooler than that you will experience in FP.

If you find yourselves needing an overnight in Nadi, we used the Radisson Resort Fiji Denarau Island which is convenient to Nadi (a cab ride from the airport) and the room was very nicely appointed. It is a big hotel, not intimate at all, but great for one night.

I suggest that you read the trip advisor reviews which we found very useful.

Oh yes, and remember that PG will likely try and charge you a deviation fee if you make your own arrangements outside of their package add-ons.

We did the 11 night Tahiti and Cook Island this past July and you can look at my in depth trip review on this site. We stayed 5 nights precruise on Moorea at the Hilton and the snorkeling was spectacular. I also did a number of dives that were great.

We are booked on the 20 night trip from Australia back to Tahiti in Janualy 2012. This cruise stops at two ports in Fiji, each for one day.

We are going to Fiji in 5 weeks staying 8 nights on Matangi Island and then a 6 night Blue Lagoon Cruise. From what I have been told the main island where Nadi is located does not have white sandy beaches and is not the best place to stay. The Coral Coast or the Yasawa Islands have some of the excellent diving and snorkeling that Fiji is renowned for. I would think that if you want to dive in Fiji you would want to come in at least 4 nights early and head out from Nadi to another area.

I appreciate all the feedack on Fiji, and we are evaluating whether or not it may just be better to do Fiji all by iteslf on a seperate trip (perhaps doing one of those dive cruises) and now to confuse things even more, they are doing 2 different 11 night itineraries next year...

All the ports of call are the same except for on one sailing they go to Aitutaki and Rarotonga in the Cook Islands, while the other itinerary goes to Rurutu (Astral Island for whale watching) and Raiatea (Society Island).

Anyone been to either of these places that can provide some thoughts or feedback? Decisions, decisions...

Texed,

Thanks for your opinion about the cruise itinerary. We are deciding between the shorter 11 night cook and society islands cruise that you mentioned versus this 13 night version which travels to Fiji. We enjoy diving so that was part of the reason for wanting to also go to Fiji. Which hotel in Fiji did you stay at in Fiji? What other aspects of Fiji did you not like as compared to what you enjoy about the society and cook islands?

I appreciate all the responses and opinions.. Thanks!

Honestly, I do not remember the hotel. It wasn't "bad", it just wasn't "nice".

I do know what you mean about diving, but we didn't have time before the cruise.

It wasn't that we didn't like the itinerary, but we felt we didn't get the time on the Society Islands that we love.

Don't worry, you will love ANY of the itineraries. :)

The Nov 2012 Fiji to Papeete itinerary sounds exciting! However, is it still worth to go to Fiji if one doesn't dive? Are there good snorkeling for beginners?

Yes and yes. We are divers but only snorkeled in Figi as the all the vibrant colors are in less than 10' of water. We snorkeled with a gal from Australia who was a marine biologist. She said there was more different varities of coral and sea life in the outer island reefs of Figi than on the Great Barrier Reef. Your TA should be able to offer you a bunch of resorts to choose from that cater to snorkelers on some of these outer islands.:)

• 9 months later...

I have a question re leaving from Fiji on the Nov 2012, 12 night sailing from Fiji to Tahiti. Everything I have read in the online guide for that sailing talks about arrival in Tahiti. Seeing that the embarkation is from Fiji, the information is not very helpful.

I'd like to know if PG offers the same type of accommodations, when flying into Fiji, as they do when flying into Tahiti. Specifically, the transfers and day room. We would definitely be booking their air/cruise package.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I have a question re leaving from Fiji on the Nov 2012, 12 night sailing from Fiji to Tahiti. Everything I have read in the online guide for that sailing talks about arrival in Tahiti. Seeing that the embarkation is from Fiji, the information is not very helpful.

I'd like to know if PG offers the same type of accommodations, when flying into Fiji, as they do when flying into Tahiti. Specifically, the transfers and day room. We would definitely be booking their air/cruise package.

Thanks!

We are booked on the Nov.20 Fiji cruise with Michael Cousteau and they do offer the same day room it states it in their brochures and must be on line somewhere.

We have booked the 3 days at the Sofitel since it is not far from the port and airport. We will take the time and go on a day snorkel, all the hotels have some draw backs to them but this seemed to give the most for the buck especially booking with P&G, I did a lot of checking the beach is not great but everyone raves about the pool and food, rooms are just being refurb so by the time we get there hopefully they will be new. You get a buffet breakfast and your transfers.

We have done a 7 day with P&G many years ago and this is a special holiday for us as it is my 60th and our 40 anniversary what better place to spend it than going to paradise.

Our last time was in the July but from what I have read this is the cusp of their summer and wet season. Even in July we had sudden rain storms.

Hope you join us on this great trip and we have a post on the roll call.

We are booked on the Nov.20 Fiji cruise with Michael Cousteau and they do offer the same day room it states it in their brochures and must be on line somewhere.

We have booked the 3 days at the Sofitel since it is not far from the port and airport. We will take the time and go on a day snorkel, all the hotels have some draw backs to them but this seemed to give the most for the buck especially booking with P&G, I did a lot of checking the beach is not great but everyone raves about the pool and food, rooms are just being refurb so by the time we get there hopefully they will be new. You get a buffet breakfast and your transfers.

We have done a 7 day with P&G many years ago and this is a special holiday for us as it is my 60th and our 40 anniversary what better place to spend it than going to paradise.

Our last time was in the July but from what I have read this is the cusp of their summer and wet season. Even in July we had sudden rain storms.

Hope you join us on this great trip and we have a post on the roll call.

Thanks so much for all of this information! Congrats on your milestone birthday and anniversary as well! My husband and I are considering this as our 30th Anniversary celebration. We renewed our vows on the beach in Maui for our 25th, and are trying to find something just as beautiful and exciting for our 30th. We live on the East coast of the US, so it's quite a ways to go, so we figured we would look into the longer sailing, as opposed to the shorter 7 night sailings, as well as extend it by a couple of pre and post cruise nights.

When you say "with Michael Cousteau", are you implying that he will be a guest speaker on this cruise? DH would be thrilled! He was a huge fan of his father, Jacques. Can you tell me where I can read more details about this?

Thanks again for the info. I hope we can join you as well!

Yes if you look up guests that is part of why we booked this trip he is on the cruise from Fiji to Tahiti, going out with divers (we are snorkelers) and giving lectures.

We did celebrate our 30th on this ship 10 years ago and they do the most memorable ceremony for people celebrating, it is unique and one you will cherish I do not want to spoil it by saying more but I hope you will join us and we will celebrate our milestones together with others.

We also have decided to go the 3 days before and 2 days after at the IC Tahiti as we love to roam the town and are also on a long flight to Canada east (Ontario).

Yes if you look up guests that is part of why we booked this trip he is on the cruise from Fiji to Tahiti, going out with divers (we are snorkelers) and giving lectures.

We did celebrate our 30th on this ship 10 years ago and they do the most memorable ceremony for people celebrating, it is unique and one you will cherish I do not want to spoil it by saying more but I hope you will join us and we will celebrate our milestones together with others.

We also have decided to go the 3 days before and 2 days after at the IC Tahiti as we love to roam the town and are also on a long flight to Canada east (Ontario).

How exciting! That would be wonderful if we will be on the same cruise with someone such as yourself that has experience in this part of the world. There is so much to learn in regards to planning this trip. I know I'd feel more comfortable getting my inside dos and don'ts info from someone with first had experience.

As soon as we know it's a go, I'll post on the roll call!

Thanks again, Trend!

My opinion is that is what these sites are about, sharing it does make for a more pleasant relaxed trip. The help I got for our Australia/New Zealand trip was invaluable. So ask away there are many here that can help.

As I have never been to Fiji or Tonga or Cook Islands it will be new to me, but I have been doing my research and asking the experienced ones and looking at Trip Advisor for opinions only, you must learn to take all comments with a grain of salt.

My opinion is that is what these sites are about, sharing it does make for a more pleasant relaxed trip. The help I got for our Australia/New Zealand trip was invaluable. So ask away there are many here that can help.

As I have never been to Fiji or Tonga or Cook Islands it will be new to me, but I have been doing my research and asking the experienced ones and looking at Trip Advisor for opinions only, you must learn to take all comments with a grain of salt.

I agree, the people that use this site provide invaluable information. I honestly don't recall a cruise I have taken without accessing this forum first. Those that I've cruised with, that are unaware of Cruise Critic, are surprised by how much knowledge I have about a place I've never been to! :)

Thanks so much for your input!

How exciting! That would be wonderful if we will be on the same cruise with someone such as yourself that has experience in this part of the world. There is so much to learn in regards to planning this trip. I know I'd feel more comfortable getting my inside dos and don'ts info from someone with first had experience.

As soon as we know it's a go, I'll post on the roll call!

Thanks again, Trend!

Hi, If you haven't booked yet and if you're interested, we booked this sailing directly with PG and you can go under our group rate to get a bit of a discount. If you're interested, email me at ashewchuk at gmail dot com and I can give you the details.

Archived