Ultimate Beverage Package

Zenica

I was wondering, I have this package but can change it if the value isn't worth it for us.

As for as the wine by the glass, is what they offer <$15 good? Or will we most likely keep

ordering wines north of $15?

The restrictions indicate purchases from wine stations would not qualify. So it it inconvenient enough

to get a drink from where it is permissible that in all likelihood you'll get it from the kiosk to save time or avoid

a 30 minute trek for that drink?

I don't drink very often so its primarily for my wife, just trying to figure out if its worth wasting a "Free at Sea"

on this + the related gratuity.

For us it was worthwhile, no question. The available wines are not stellar, but they're as good as what we usually drink at home. The one red available by the glass at Cagney's last month was more than drinkable, as was the ncl branded red blend.

Regarding wine kiosks, I can't say, as I never saw one on Gem. But we had lots of fun with frozen desserts drinks like the Mudslide and excellent Bloody Mary's and Dark and Stormies, too.

I think what they offer is good. Could you get better at home? Yes, but good enough. If you order above the $15, you just pay the difference, so you certainly could do that. There is a bar outside of the buffet where the wine kiosk is on the breakaway and plus ships (I think) so you don't have to trek that far.

All of my drinks have been included thus far on UBP on 3 cruises using it.

HTH.

Thanks 2Oldpeopleinlove and Kfamilycruise , good info.

Seems it may be a good value. I'm not big into wine, what I call wine my wife calls juice. I like what Olive Garden carries, a red they call Roscato. I have only found one German red even close to it at restaurants. So for me, it will be martinis or cocktails.

I was wondering, I have this package but can change it if the value isn't worth it for us.

As for as the wine by the glass, is what they offer <$15 good? Or will we most likely keep

The restrictions indicate purchases from wine stations would not qualify. So it it inconvenient enough

to get a drink from where it is permissible that in all likelihood you'll get it from the kiosk to save time or avoid

I don't drink very often so its primarily for my wife, just trying to figure out if its worth wasting a "Free at Sea"

Practically all of the wines available by the glass are under $15 for a 6oz pour. More particular wine drinkers have commented that this by-the-glass list leaves a lot to be desired, but even without the UBP, you'd have to buy and entire bottle to get something better, so the UBP and it's upper limit of coverage is not the limiting factors for wine on board. A lot of people also report being pleasantly surprised with the red and white NCL house blends, which of course are covered by the glass by the UBP.

As for the automated wine stations, while not covered, they aren't the most common place to get wine anyway. On Breakaway, if I am not mistaken, there are only wine stations in two locations: the buffet and the Studio Lounge, the latter of which I doubt you'd be spending time with, as you are not a solo traveler, so the inability to get complimentary wine from one of these machines is not a huge inconvenience.

Overall, if you're choosing the UBP as a Free at Sea perk, and each cabin member will be having on average two drinks per day, it is a really good value. As something you purchase separately, that requires some pretty active drinking to come out ahead.

March will be our 6th cruise with the UBP-It goes way beyond booze! I like a diet Pepsi after a walk in the morning and when beer `O Clock rolls around, it is monster convenience!!! No waiting around to sign receipt. Order, grab and go.

Mostly you get to experiment with wild cocktails that you might not ordinarily order at $10 a pop.

Everybody tries to make things difficult-Just have fun with it! Try a BB& C for desert!

@Dajbman22

Thanks for your post. It did define things for me. We'll be keeping the UBP.

@TNCruzer56

You raise a good point, experiment with drinks I'd never order at a restaurant!

I will havr to remember to ask for a BB&C!

can you change it prior to sailing? I don't know. After you are on the ship, no. For us, it is the best perk, other than gratuities one could ask for, if you only drink a couple of drinks a day, probably not. The thing we love is the oportunity to try different drinks. This is something if we are paying by the drink we rare, if ever do. Are we heavy drinkers? No, but we usually have about 3 or 4 drinks a day on our cruises plus wine for dinner.

30 minutes trek for a drink? That's just not going to happen anywhere on board.

Wine stations aren't included as it would be too easy to get wine for people who do not have a drinks package.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

BBC = Baileys Banana Coloda

If slushy frozen cocktails are your thing then it is quite honestly the best cocktail that NCL do. Very little alcohol, so you can drink them all day and night without fear of getting blotto. I love 'em.

30 minutes trek for a drink? That's just not going to happen anywhere on board.

Wine stations aren't included as it would be too easy to get wine for people who do not have a drinks package.

I haven't been on a cruise before but I have been to big resorts that attract thousands of people.

Waiting in line 30 minutes for a drink/meal/merchandise at Disney, Universal, Warner Bro or other theme

parks isn't unheard of.

The ship has several thousand people on board so that is where I am drawing the connection and conclusion.

I'll be elated to be wrong!

I haven't been on a cruise before but I have been to big resorts that attract thousands of people.

Waiting in line 30 minutes for a drink/meal/merchandise at Disney, Universal, Warner Bro or other theme

parks isn't unheard of.

The ship has several thousand people on board so that is where I am drawing the connection and conclusion.

I'll be elated to be wrong!

You'll be fine. The longest I've waited at a bar is 5/7 minutes. That's on 7 cruises with NCL.

IMO it is very easy to make a decision. If you are going to spend more on alcohol than the appx. $100 per person that the package gratuity costs then it is a good deal. If you are not going to spend that much it is a bad deal. it only takes between 7 and 12 alcoholic beverages over the course of the week for the UBP to make sense.

Wine is available at any bar, though some have larger selections than others. There are not very many wine kiosks and the trek to them takes as long as it does to go to a real bar. The only place I see them as being a benefit is in the buffet.

We didn't think we had anything to complain about. How were you charged a fee with the dining package?

Even if you have the dining package you'll still be charged a fee at certain restaurants:

• The Supper Club - $15 USD
  • Ocean Blue - $15 USD
  • Bayamo - $15 USD
  • Cirque Dreams/Illusionarium - $10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats/$35 USD VIP seating on Breakaway
  • Sushi -$7 USD
  • Raw Bar - $7 USD (does not include Seafood Plateau. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived)
  • Pincho Tapas Bar - $7 USD

• 3 months later...