Advice please ( and thanks)

MrsTabs

We are flying into MIA from the UK in late Feb and staying at Homewood Suites by Hilton Miami Downtown/Brickell

Is the easiest way to get there by just grabbing a cab at the airport and if so does anyone know roughly how much it would be ( 2 people 2 cases) have heard there are flat rates for 'zones' but unsure if this hotel is in a 'zone' - trying to plan :-)

We are spending a couple days in Miami pre cruise so also best way to get to Miami beach from this hotel ( there is a crab restaurant hubby wants to eat at there) I tend to get lost very easily so the less complicated the better really

Many thanks for any help!

Uber and Lyft without a doubt, providing you have cellular data service (not just WiFi). If it doesn't work in the US, then yes, a cab. You can cab from your hotel as well. But if you can Uber then it's much cheaper and more convenient.

I'm assuming you want to go to Joe's Stone Crab? It's pricey but an "institution" and I think worth the visit. February is in season, which is important. May thru Oct no crabs! Stone crab is a local Florida product so pretty cool.

If it is Joe's you are going to, also take note that you can walk a couple minutes south to South Pointe Park which is one of my favorite places to go for a walk along the water, beach, and pier.

Uber/Lyft is easier, cheaper and much better service. Of course you will need a cell phone that has working data for that to work. If not, then yes you can just take a taxi. Not sure how much it will be as going to Brickell there is no flat rate from MIA. It should be around $30.00, remember its common to add a tip to that as well in the U.S.

As for getting to Miami Beach, once again Uber/Lyft is higher preferred way to do it. If not, the hotel can set up a taxi or you can find one on the street. Cost around $20-$25. Uber/Lyft prices are usually half the price of a taxi.

You could use transit too, by taking the Metromover to the Omni bus station and a bus that goes to South Beach. But it will take SO much longer that way.

I assume your husband wants to go to Joe's Stone Crabs. Miami's most famous restaurant. Lines will be long, usually to try to get a table easier you tip someone at the front. Its worth it though for a visit in Miami. As the other poster said, near by is South Point Park. If you are there Thursday-Sunday head over there and watch the cruises ships leave in the late afternoon.

Brickell has a lot of great dinning options and the Brickell/Downtown area is easy to walk around along with using the free Metromover trains.

Thanks so much for the replies all very helpful and yes it is Joe Stones hubby wants to visit - we have a spare day so plan to spend it going to Miami beach eating there and the seeing what else we fancy - I am happy as long as I'm in the sun :-) The taxi prices sound good - much better than what we had to pay in NY

My phone is from like 1983 so won't work ( I like it that way) but hubby's always works so will probably go for an Uber - we get free buffet and cocktails at our hotel on an evening so will probably just do that at night ( not to mention we will probably be asleep by 8pm due to the time difference)

thanks again

Thanks so much for the replies all very helpful and yes it is Joe Stones hubby wants to visit - we have a spare day so plan to spend it going to Miami beach eating there and the seeing what else we fancy - I am happy as long as I'm in the sun :-) The taxi prices sound good - much better than what we had to pay in NY

My phone is from like 1983 so won't work ( I like it that way) but hubby's always works so will probably go for an Uber - we get free buffet and cocktails at our hotel on an evening so will probably just do that at night ( not to mention we will probably be asleep by 8pm due to the time difference)

thanks again

Perfect, you will have a great time. Enjoy the Stone Crabs!

thanks again

We like to get in the time zone straight away. We will have been up since 3am UK on a Friday,arrive Miami 2:30pm local (7:30pm our body time) Have a restaurant booked for 8pm local (01:00 our body time) so by the time we get to bed it will probe be around 11pm local (4am our body time) so will have been awake over 24 hours. That way we get right into the time zone.

We like to get in the time zone straight away. We will have been up since 3am UK on a Friday,arrive Miami 2:30pm local (7:30pm our body time) Have a restaurant booked for 8pm local (01:00 our body time) so by the time we get to bed it will probe be around 11pm local (4am our body time) so will have been awake over 24 hours. That way we get right into the time zone.

we try the same - we are off the week before we go and try to move our 'bedtime' back an hour a night before we go, we stay up all night before we fly, then we sleep on the plane - arrive feeling all refreshed then as soon as the sun goes down we are asleep - it's hopeless we went to Barbados every year for 10 years and we were lucky to see 9pm most nights - I think it is the getting dark early in that part of the world that does us in- but we will try again!

We do get to see some awesome sunrises though - probably does not help that we have both been posties for 20 years so used to getting up a silly o'clock - we get to see loads of the cruise ship at 4am in the morning when it is quiet as a mouse

we try the same - we are off the week before we go and try to move our 'bedtime' back an hour a night before we go, we stay up all night before we fly, then we sleep on the plane - arrive feeling all refreshed then as soon as the sun goes down we are asleep - it's hopeless we went to Barbados every year for 10 years and we were lucky to see 9pm most nights - I think it is the getting dark early in that part of the world that does us in- but we will try again!

We do get to see some awesome sunrises though

Yeah,and the excitement of a holiday keeps us going. We can never sleep on a flight,wish we could.

note:

Joe's is an experience ... an over priced experience where you will be waiting in line (queue) to be treated poorly.

If you want the 'experience' ... stand in the queue and enjoy.

If you just want the food note that ALL stone crab served in restaurants has been previously cooked and frozen. So what you get at Joe's is the same as every other seafood rest' OR even what you can buy at the seafood counter in a local grocery. You can split the difference by walking to the side of Joe's where they have a special 'take out' area.

Buy some crab .. a bottle of white and head to the beach and find a picnic table. You will save a bunch of $$. Or go to Monty's (which actually has a view rather than being landlocked .. and just a few blocks away) and buy the crab at their high prices but still less than Joe's and you didn't have to tip the maitre d just to get a table.

note:

Joe's is an experience ... an over priced experience where you will be waiting in line (queue) to be treated poorly.

If you want the 'experience' ... stand in the queue and enjoy.

If you just want the food note that ALL stone crab served in restaurants has been previously cooked and frozen. So what you get at Joe's is the same as every other seafood rest' OR even what you can buy at the seafood counter in a local grocery. You can split the difference by walking to the side of Joe's where they have a special 'take out' area.

Buy some crab .. a bottle of white and head to the beach and find a picnic table. You will save a bunch of $$. Or go to Monty's (which actually has a view rather than being landlocked .. and just a few blocks away) and buy the crab at their high prices but still less than Joe's and you didn't have to tip the maitre d just to get a table.

Interesting is the crab not fresh anywhere in Miami?

Interesting is the crab not fresh anywhere in Miami?

His comments are 100% false. The crab is not frozen. They sometimes use frozen crab if the boats can't bring enough in but that is rare, especially in the middle of the season. His comments are so false, you can literally go on the websites of stone crab suppliers and buy FRESH, never frozen stone crab to have shipped anywhere in the US. Joe's has their own boats and brings in a daily FRESH haul. They are pretty much who decides stone crab pricing, etc. It's absolutely fresh.

I would completely disregard those comments. Joe's is one of the most iconic restaurants in the entire country, FOR A REASON. Service, food quality, experience, etc. It's excellent. Go, enjoy it. The location is awesome too as you can wander over to South Pointe after dinner for a nice walk along the water.

I really don't understand why this guy keeps posting such false information. Here is one of the suppliers.... NEVER FROZEN. Joe's gets daily shipments, fresh crab.... You can have it shipped to your door, let alone at the defacto world famous restaurant known for fresh stone crab....

And by the way, you don't tip the maitre d' to get a table. It's more common for locals to tip the maitre d' AFTER their meal hoping they'll be recognized and known in the future. He is certainly not standing there expecting tips from you. Just more false information.

george-stone-crab.png

Edited by BNBR

His comments are 100% false. The crab is not frozen. They sometimes use frozen crab if the boats can't bring enough in but that is rare, especially in the middle of the season. His comments are so false, you can literally go on the websites of stone crab suppliers and buy FRESH, never frozen stone crab to have shipped anywhere in the US. Joe's has their own boats and brings in a daily FRESH haul. They are pretty much who decides stone crab pricing, etc. It's absolutely fresh.

I would completely disregard those comments. Joe's is one of the most iconic restaurants in the entire country, FOR A REASON. Service, food quality, experience, etc. It's excellent. Go, enjoy it. The location is awesome too as you can wander over to South Pointe after dinner for a nice walk along the water.

I really don't understand why this guy keeps posting such false information. Here is one of the suppliers.... NEVER FROZEN. Joe's gets daily shipments, fresh crab....

george-stone-crab.png

Thanks for that I feel reassured