Cruising Pre Dry Dock

lij1972

I'm trying to decide whether we should cruise on the Koningsdam right before her dry dock. On other Holland American ships, has the been much disruption/unusable areas? What has been your experience?

Thanks!

Lisa

Sent from my SM-G960W using Forums mobile app

Have done this many times on HAL, Princess and RC. Sure there are work areas where you can't go, but not enough disruption to interfere with the cruise.

We were just on the K'dam in June and it would be hard to imagine what could possibly keep me from sailing her again pre-dry dock (other than no time available and lack of funds). The ship is relatively new and other than the scheduled inspection, the conversion of the Crow's Nest and the new Rolling Stone rock venue I'm not aware of anything that requires concern.

We have been on a couple of ships right before dry dock and it was not so much interruption of services as it was feeling you had paid full regular price for a ship with worn carpets and linens and on one occasion mattresses that are getting worn in .......sometimes older TVs and seeing some rusty spots around ship.......again, nothing that stopped us from participating in anything but just a feeling that things were not fresh and new.......if that is something that matters......again, more cosmetic than anything

We were on Noordam on a transatlantic right before she went into dry dock. We never saw anything that would indicate she was ready for any repairs or updated. Nor did they start any preparations early while we were sailing. Would not hesitate to do it again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been on two such HAL cruises. I noticed more workmen around, probably doing preparatory work, some of it possibly normal maintenance. They padded the promenade deck railings on the last day and closed off and put plywood down on an upper deck for protection. Nothing affected our cruise.