Question for The Voice of the Ocean contestants

CineGraphic

I'm assuming that you are initially chosen based on a karaoke performance, so there are plenty of songs to chose from, but what sort of song selection do you have for the competition? Is it all current pop stuff or is there something for an old fart like me to sing?

I'm assuming that you are initially chosen based on a karaoke performance, so there are plenty of songs to chose from, but what sort of song selection do you have for the competition? Is it all current pop stuff or is there something for an old fart like me to sing?

Yes, it's karaoke. And the idea of chairs and coaches is a bit of a joke.

Audience voting at karaoke-style audition round resulted in 8 contestants who all sang one song on the final night. Coaches turned chairs to recruit contestants. Then each coach picked one from their "team" and the audience live-voted for the winner from three finalists.

I have to say that the talent and singing was nothing above the karaoke nights and most singers were pitchy and not all that good. On our cruise last week, there was an obvious best and he sang last.

• 1 year later...
Thanks for the info, but my question remains unanswered, so let me clarify it a bit, the finalists sing with a live band, what sort of song choices do the finalist have?

There is a list of about 150 songs to choose from. Two-minute versions of a variety of songs from different eras. From "My Way" to "Stand By Your Man" to "Moondance" to "Poker Face."

Thanks for the info, but my question remains unanswered, so let me clarify it a bit, the finalists sing with a live band, what sort of song choices do the finalist have?

There are about 150 songs roughly 40% generally thought of as male, 40% generally thought of as female and the balance thought of for both. Of course, you can select any song you like, male or female. All songs are shortened versions to about 90 seconds. Songs range from crooner songs, old standards, country, Elvis, 50's/60's Rock & Roll, pop from the 70's to fairly current, disco, Latin, there are even a few what I call semi rap songs in the mix. Certain songs like My Way seem to be always selected, so if that is your song come with others in mind. The band's charts are almost always in the original artist key. Don't worry, if you can't sing the song you first choose, the band and coaches will help you find another one. Have fun. Think of it as a show, not a contest.

• 5 months later...
Thanks for the reply, but I ended up finding the answer firsthand last December when I sang in the finals and won.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm going this november. did they have the words for you like during karaoke, or does it need to be memorised? Also what song did you sing ? do you only sing one song during the contest/show?

• 1 month later...