Most cruise ports

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:44 AM.
373 Posts
Joined May 2005
Which SA cruise has the most stops? We get bored on too many sea days. Is it better to begin or end in Buenos Aries?
Thanks
Rhode Island
343 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
We began in BA and arrived 3 days early to have more time to explore city. Also, we flew into BA and started vacation immediately. If you start in Valparaiso, you need to get from airport in Santiago to Valparaiso - I'd rather do that at the end. Our cruise on Celebrity had 6 days at sea, but no more than 2 in a row

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Point Richmond CA
5,099 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by june1
Which SA cruise has the most stops? We get bored on too many sea days. Is it better to begin or end in Buenos Aries?

Thanks

Look at Rio to Valpo (around the Horn) on Oceania Sirena. Starts in early February 2019 - about 5 weeks with only a few, well placed sea days.

canada
238 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
many trips around the horn now avoid Rio because it is necessary to have a high cost visa. The port experience was not good.
On the trip I was on many folks boarded in Buenos Aires
837 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
I may look at NCL. We did a Holland America for Asia and my husband said it was a waste with too many sea days. We were bored and it is too tough with time off from work.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Vancouver, BC
44 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Our March 2018 cruise on Oceania (12 day Radiant Rhythms from Buenes Aires to Rio de Janeiro on Sirena) has only one sea day. Looking forward to lots of interesting ports!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy Mc
Burnaby, BC

NCL Jewel - Mexican Riviera - March 2017
NCL Jade - Western Caribbean - March 2016
NCL Sky - Bahamas - March 2016
NCL Sun - Southern Caribbean - March 2013
NCL Star - Mexican Riviera - March 2010
NCL Pearl - Pacific Coastal - May 2009

Born in US- Lived in Argentina-Uruguay -Chile and now a days Colombia
110 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
The big cities are interesting as you learn the differences between the southamerica culture. Is not the same Brasil , than Uruguay , than Chile than Argentina. Buenos Aires is the main stop in Argentina as many people end or start their cruiseship so , to have a welcome by a local guide is highly recommended as they put you in a context to learn and they are all connected between different countries and help to find local adventures or just cultural activities in each city. You must book in advance ! the good ones are almost booked and then you have to run and book commercial tours or unknown guides. If you build a group is better to reduce cost but if you want to do a private tour it will be just for you. We did it with a lovely lady and her team Buenos Aires Local Guide (liz2arg at yahoo dot com)
Palm City, Fl
4,158 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
Originally posted by angeleyes27
I may look at NCL. We did a Holland America for Asia and my husband said it was a waste with too many sea days. We were bored and it is too tough with time off from work.
Sent from my iPad using Forums
With all due respect to your hubby, too many sea days is not a function of the cruise line...they all have them. Too many sea days is a result of the choices the passenger makes.
Before booking you must examine the itinerary for the ship you are considering. NCL, HAL, X, Princess all have them available so that you can count ports, sea days, which ports tender, etc so that you know what you are buying.
We did South America last year with HAL (14 days) and never had more than 2 sea days in a row.
Sailing distances are long (but worth it) for South America, so expect several sea days with any cruise line.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Spirit 2003 (Caribbean)
Carnival Fascination 2004 (Caribbean)
HAL Noordam 2004 (Norway)
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 ( E. Mediterranean)
Carnival Glory 2010 (b2b E+W Caribbean)
Emerald Princess 2012 (Caribbean)
Island Princess 2012 (Panama Canal-full transit)
Ruby Princess 2014 (Caribbean)
HAL Ryndam 2014 (W. Caribbean)
Ruby Princess 2014 (W. Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2016 (Journey-E. Caribbean)
HAL Zaandam 2016 (BA to Santiago)

HAL Zuiderdam 2018 (Partial Canal)
HAL Maasdam 2018 (Tahiti)
837 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Yes, I agree that you should check the amount of sea days. After the HAL cruise, we now do that and dismiss those with too many. We are still working so we don't like to be taking too many days off where we are just hanging out on the ship as we don't get much vacation time. Perhaps if we were retired, it would be different. The HAL cruise was a good price but it used up too much of our precious vacation time