Volendam - after drydock information

keikobad

• 1 month later...
Is anyone onboard the Volendam? How is the first cruise after her drydock? Everything finished? We will board her later this month and it would be great to get some insights.

Hello Munich! Hope you had a good cruise in December on the newly refurbished Volendam? Did you post a review on CC? We just booked it for next January and wondered if all the problems noted in very early December have been corrected? We've been told by HAL that "any difficulties the ship had right after drydock have been addressed and no further issue have been reported."

HAL also said: "The oceanview staterooms have the walk-in showers and no longer have the tubs.All public areas carpeting was replaced. The Crow’s Nest, Spa, Explorations Café, Hudson Room, Show Lounge, Dining Room, Pinnacle Grill, Wajang, America’s Test Kitchen, and Public Bathrooms have been refurbished with new carpeting, paint, and furniture has been refurbished."

Thanks for any reply -

I just completed the 15 day cruise starting January 16th on the Volendam. I wrote my review last night but it hasn't been posted yet.

I was expecting staterooms to be refurbished, and mine was not, aside from the carpet looking new and nice crisp bedding -- the furniture, tiles, walls and artwork were tired and in need of an update. Everything was spotlessly clean though and worked perfectly (shower was awesome), so I didn't mind at all.

The public areas did look great, some really nice color schemes and fabrics -- lots of blue.

A couple of days there were some powerful fans in the hallways near midship. I don't think it was to dry up any water leaks or because of a problem, as nothing looked or felt wet. Rather, I think it was to combat the humidity when the doors to outside were open in that area. The beginning of the cruise was very hot and humid.

I hope you have a great trip!

Hi Epicurean Girl - thanks so much for the info. My understanding was the Oceanview cabins now all have walk-in showers, instead of the old in-tub showers. Is that how your shower was? What was your cabin category? Ours will be an H at the rear of the Lower Promenade Deck (deck 3).

I'll keep an eye out for your Volendam review.

I’m not sure what category it was, it was an ocean view on the Verandah deck. It was a handicapped room so had the zero entry shower. It was the largest stateroom on that level, so I was very happy (we had 3 in our room that trip). This room had not been updated, other than the carpet and bedding accents. It had a fridge though, and I’m not certain if that is standard or not on this ship. I was surprised to learn they aren’t standard on all HAL ships.

The actual shower valve and water pressure was great though, but it was a very dated looking bathroom (immaculately clean though).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

We are booked on Volendam this summer, in an Oceanview. Received email from HAL overnight, summarizing shower changes to aforementioned cabins. I have copied the relevant info from the email below.

This is to advise guests who've booked Ocean-view staterooms on board Volendamthat during the November 2017 dry dock, the bathrooms in the below stateroomswere updated to a shower-only configuration:

Lower Promenade Deck: E3327 - E3392, EE3319 - EE3391, EE3394, EE3405 - EE3414,H3302 - H3428, and HH3300 - HH3426.

Main Deck: DA2538 - DA2677, DD2674 - DD2707, E2520 - E2537, E2704, E2709,G2501, and G2508 - G2711.

Dolphin Deck: E1830 - E1928, EE1816 - EE1958, F1822 - F1950, FF1951, FF1953,FF1960, FF1962, and G1808 - G1815.

Please note, this change does not affect all Ocean-view staterooms, only thespecific staterooms noted above. We thank you for your attention to this matterand look forward to welcoming you on board.

We are booked on Volendam this summer, in an Oceanview. Received email from HAL overnight, summarizing shower changes to aforementioned cabins. I have copied the relevant info from the email below.

This is to advise guests who've booked Ocean-view staterooms on board Volendamthat during the November 2017 dry dock, the bathrooms in the below stateroomswere updated to a shower-only configuration:

Lower Promenade Deck: E3327 - E3392, EE3319 - EE3391, EE3394, EE3405 - EE3414,H3302 - H3428, and HH3300 - HH3426.

Main Deck: DA2538 - DA2677, DD2674 - DD2707, E2520 - E2537, E2704, E2709,G2501, and G2508 - G2711.

Dolphin Deck: E1830 - E1928, EE1816 - EE1958, F1822 - F1950, FF1951, FF1953,FF1960, FF1962, and G1808 - G1815.

Please note, this change does not affect all Ocean-view staterooms, only thespecific staterooms noted above. We thank you for your attention to this matterand look forward to welcoming you on board.

Thanks for posting this. We leave in a few weeks, and I was looking forward to the tub and then found out it might have been taken out. According to this list, our stateroom is not one of the renovated ones. I will pack my bubble bath!

~Robin

Thanks for posting this. We leave in a few weeks, and I was looking forward to the tub and then found out it might have been taken out. According to this list, our stateroom is not one of the renovated ones. I will pack my bubble bath!

You didn't get an email like this yesterday, Robin? I didn't bring it up in our roll-call because I assumed everyone had gotten it.

You didn't get an email like this yesterday, Robin? I didn't bring it up in our roll-call because I assumed everyone had gotten it.

I did not. I checked my spam too. Weird! I didn't book direct, though. We used visa points to defray the cost. Maybe it went to the Wells Fargo travel arm, and they didn't forward it??? Strange.

~R

Hi TheCruisingAccountant - thanks so much for posting the update on the Volendam Oceanview cabins that now feature new showers. We're booked in H3427 for a Panama Canal cruise next January and we're happy to see our cabin is one of them. We booked through Vacations to Go and our rep there also sent out an email this morning to let us know.

We've been on many HAL ships, but this is our first cruise on the Volendam, so we'll be looking forward to reading any Volendam reviews the rest of this year! Hope you all have a great cruise!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have just returned from 14 day Vollendam cruise, Asia (Japan, China, Korea). Since I didn't cruise on Volendam previously, I can just agree with some of the other postings.

I was in Ocean View cabin on Main Deck #2620, and the first thing I saw that was updated was the bathroom - a great big beautiful, shiny glass shower. So, I was a happy cruiser if nothing else had been done! Hated those high-wall tubs! I'd add that the interior of the elevators was also updated - and they seemed to be faster to respond than previously.