What if you miss the ship with kids onboard?

I am not worried about this for us personally, especially since we will take our kids to port with us. However, I saw that they do have kids' club hours on port days if you want to leave the kids onboard while you explore port. Which got me thinking...what happens if the parents miss the boat? I have seen people miss the boat multiple times, but never thought about what if they had small kids that were at the kids' club. But now having two small kids, I can't help but think about it. What happens to the kids while they wait to reconnect with their parents? Has something like this ever happened before? Curious minds want to know.

It has, there was a thread about this situation a few months ago. There were aunts and uncles on the ship with the kids. Group had a miscommunication and everyone did not return together. Suspect someone will post a link.

It has, there was a thread about this situation a few months ago. There were aunts and uncles on the ship with the kids. Group had a miscommunication and everyone did not return together. Suspect someone will post a link.

Hopefully they will post a link as I tried searching, but didn't find it. But at least in that case there was family onboard. I agree with previous poster that I would not go ashore and leave my kids on the boat, but it is clearly allowed as it specifically advertises kids' club hours during port days to "explore the port on your own" and that they will feed kids lunch "if parents are ashore". So I'm genuinely curious what happens if kids are left onboard with no adults. Does the crew provide care until they are reunited with their parents?

The NCL incident happened almost two years ago and one story is posted here.

In that case the children's uncle and his family were on board and they were left in his care.

If memory serves, about that time somebody here asked an officer on another ship what would happen if there were no other family members on board? If the parents didn't return the children would be assigned a sitter 24/7, billed to the parent's account, until they could rejoin the ship. If for some reason the parents didn't get back to the disembarkation port in time (no passport = no flight home until you get one) the children would be turned over to the local child welfare authorities.

In that case the children's uncle and his family were on board and they were left in his care.

If memory serves, about that time somebody here asked an officer on another ship what would happen if there were no other family members on board? If the parents didn't return the children would be assigned a sitter 24/7, billed to the parent's account, until they could rejoin the ship. If for some reason the parents didn't get back to the disembarkation port in time (no passport = no flight home until you get one) the children would be turned over to the local child welfare authorities.

Thanks. I figured they must have a policy in place. I never thought about things like this until I had kids, but now I find myself worrying about other people's kids along with my own. Even though I have no plans to leave my kids onboard while I go ashore I know it does happen and it made me wonder/worry about the what-ifs.

This is how I recall it, also.

Thank you, that was the story I was referring to. Searched but could not find the link here. Hard to believe it was 2 years ago. Time flies.