Can I take an earlier/later train if I bought a ticket online with a specific time?

curlysummer

Dear cruise fellows,

Our ship will stop at the port of Villefranche-sur-mer. We plan to take the SNCF ter train to Nice. We want to buy train tickets from SNCF website in advance and print eticket. But from its website, I have to enter the date and specific time.

1) For an example, if I bought a ticket for 9:00 am and if I arrive at the train station earlier and an earlier train comes, can I use the 9:00 am ticket to board the earlier train without exchanging the different ticket?

2) Or if I am late for 9:00 am train, can I use the same ticket to catch the later train?

Many thanks!!!

It will depend on type and class of ticket you purchase. Certain tickets are time dependent and would not allow any variation. Others, usually more expensive, allow greater flexibility. Thus you have to balance cost versus flexibility in your equation.

It will depend on type and class of ticket you purchase. Certain tickets are time dependent and would not allow any variation. Others, usually more expensive, allow greater flexibility. Thus you have to balance cost versus flexibility in your equation.

Thank you very much for your kind response. I found an example for 8:30 am train from Nice to Monaco at the type of Flexible on SNCF website. If I buy this flexible ticket (3.9 euro), can I take an earlier or later train other than 8:30 am? Or Do I have to go to ticket office to exchange an update time for that earlier or later train? Thanks.

Edited by curlysummer
error for picture

I don't think there is a need to pre book this . Villefranche to Nice is a commuter train that runs very frequently. And it's a trip of only a few minutes! There are ticket machines at the platforms, as well as a ticket office in the train stations.

Just rock up and get the next train coming.

Be aware that it is a walk of around 15 minutes or so from where the ships tenders will drop you and a steep flight of stairs up to the station in Villefranche.

There are a few very decent restaurants along the promenade in Villefranche that are a lot more reasonable than in Nice (or Monaco). Also the beach (pretty much below the train station) is one of the nicest along this stretch of coastline

I don't think there is a need to pre book this . Villefranche to Nice is a commuter train that runs very frequently. And it's a trip of only a few minutes! There are ticket machines at the platforms, as well as a ticket office in the train stations.

Just rock up and get the next train coming.

Be aware that it is a walk of around 15 minutes or so from where the ships tenders will drop you and a steep flight of stairs up to the station in Villefranche.

There are a few very decent restaurants along the promenade in Villefranche that are a lot more reasonable than in Nice (or Monaco). Also the beach (pretty much below the train station) is one of the nicest along this stretch of coastline

But I heard on a cruise day, there will be a long queue waiting for ticket office. I want to save time and buy tickets online.