Beginners Questions

ngjarman

Hello, we're booked on Odyssey 19/07/14 out of Venice. Our first Seabourn although we are experienced on other HAL and Cunard.

Questions are:

Internet - what's the price / arrangement?

Champagne on inclusive - is this an option?

Dining - seating and restaurant availability - is it easy to get a table for two

Excursions quality / value - any comments

Packed lunches - can these be provided

House wines - is there a choice of veriatals (as we're keen on Chardonnay)

Many thanks.

Welcome to Seabourn. Here are some short answers to your questions -- for more detailed discussions word search each topic.

Internet -- $400 unlimited or pay by the hour

Champagne -- for the last few years almost exclusively Nicholas Feuillatte

Dining -- we usually dine as a twosome and have never had a problem. Some of the nicer(IMHO) table by the windows of the Restaurant are for 4 but if they are not busy they will seat two there. We don't usually have dinner at the Colonnade or 2.

Excursions -- Pretty standard stuff. We usually wander around on our own or book a private tour. The few SB ones we have been on seemed to be fairly well run.

Packed lunches -- Yes, they can do it and we have done it a couple of times but I would not bother. By the time you eat them the sandwiches are often soggy. Better to just grab a quick bite of something local if you are pressed for time -- or better yet plan on a few nice leisurely lunches on shore and soak up the local flavor.

Hose wines -- usually a choice of 5 or 6 reds and same number of whites. I am not a chardonnay drinker but it seems to me there has always been one on the list( seems to me it was often a chilean).

Not much to add to Chairsin's comprehensive reply.

We also tend to dine just the 2 of us and have never had a problem getting a table at any meal service in any restaurant. In Restaurant Two they do advise that the tables are larger, but again they gave us one just for the two of us no problem at all. The only exception is if they do a Galley Market Lunch on your cruise, that does tend to be a free for all in the MDR for seating, as tables are shared.

Regarding the Chardonnay, on our last cruise in June there was a decent enough Chablis, and a choice between a French Chardonnay from the Ardeche (not as awful as it sounds!) and a Robert Mondavi (SP?) Californian. If you like the better Chardonnays you can purchase a bottle from the separate wine list. We enjoy the included pours with lunch but usually have a better wine with dinner. Oh and if they try to fob you off with the wine of the day which seemed to be Pinot Grigio every day on Sojourn in June, don't be afraid to specify exactly which wine you would like if you find one you prefer to the others. They'll find a bottle of it and happily serve you it.

Not much to add to Chairsin's comprehensive reply.

We also tend to dine just the 2 of us and have never had a problem getting a table at any meal service in any restaurant. In Restaurant Two they do advise that the tables are larger, but again they gave us one just for the two of us no problem at all. The only exception is if they do a Galley Market Lunch on your cruise, that does tend to be a free for all in the MDR for seating, as tables are shared.

Regarding the Chardonnay, on our last cruise in June there was a decent enough Chablis, and a choice between a French Chardonnay from the Ardeche (not as awful as it sounds!) and a Robert Mondavi (SP?) Californian. If you like the better Chardonnays you can purchase a bottle from the separate wine list. We enjoy the included pours with lunch but usually have a better wine with dinner. Oh and if they try to fob you off with the wine of the day which seemed to be Pinot Grigio every day on Sojourn in June, don't be afraid to specify exactly which wine you would like if you find one you prefer to the others. They'll find a bottle of it and happily serve you it.

And just to add, if you persevere with the Sommellier you should be able to extract a list of the "included wines". I have found it's worth the struggle.

And just to add, if you persevere with the Sommellier you should be able to extract a list of the "included wines". I have found it's worth the struggle.

Oh yes, very good point !

We've not managed it yet, despite our copious imbibing of included and wine list wines. I'll set my husband a challenge on our next SB cruise :D

Oh yes, very good point !

We've not managed it yet, despite our copious imbibing of included and wine list wines. I'll set my husband a challenge on our next SB cruise :D

Never take no for an answer! Despite denials to the contrary a list exists( albeit not absolutely up to date). Any Sommellier worth his salt ( or perhaps his tip;) ) should copy one for you or even type up a list of the latest availability. I have secured lists both on Seabourn and Silversea. It's amazing how popular you become( with fellow passengers) when it becomes known you have the key to the wine cellar (so to speak).

And OMG Pinot Grigio there ought to be a law agin it :(

Wow! What a lovely bunch of people. Thanks for all these comments. I'm beginning to wonder why it's taken us until we're 50 to become Seabourners? (Apart from building up our Mariner points!) Can't wait for next Summer's adventure.

And I have actually found that it is the Bar Manager, not the Sommelier, who tends to be prompt in responding to my request fora list of the "hose" wines!(Nice pick up Stamfordian!) The Bar manager also knows what odds lots they have in small quantities insufficient to put on the list -- often little hidden gems.

And I have actually found that it is the Bar Manager, not the Sommelier, who tends to be prompt in responding to my request fora list of the "hose" wines!(Nice pick up Stamfordian!) The Bar manager also knows what odds lots they have in small quantities insufficient to put on the list -- often little hidden gems.

Good point. It pays to cultivate your contacts.

And I tend to keep quiet about any hidden gems in case the small quantities become no quantities. Mean I know; but there is a limit my magnanimity:)

>"Packed lunches -- Yes, they can do it and we have done it a couple of times but I would not bother. By the time you eat them the sandwiches are often soggy."

First be sure it's legal to take food off the ship. I have found that by specifying NO TOMATOES, the sandwiches are not soggy. If you are taking a private tour with a driver/guide, ask for extra cookies to share. Heck, just ask for extra cookies no matter what. I have used box lunches to avoid the inevitable stop for shopping when the guides get a free lunch at the shop for brining in potential business. I want them to get fed, so I chose to eat in the car and watch the world go by and the driver can get his free meal.

the mentioned chardonnays (Louis Latour Ardeche and Mondavi ) are quite acceptable. I have never thought a Sommelier would expect a tip - that is news to me and I think most people. You should find a few wines you like best, and the easiest way to get them is to ask by grape type, say ' have you got any Australian shiraz' , or whatever, and politely refuse the pinot grigio or whatever is the 'pour' for that meal. (Always a white and a red, each meal; we normally have white then red at dinner). It is often worth trying what is suggested - we thought the Ardeche would be awful, but it is quite good.

in addtion to the unlimited, there were a couple of packages in the middle... I got the 60 minute pkg. for $20 or $25 (???) - something fairly reasonable. If you use your computer or device in the computer room or very close to it, you'll get better reception and use less time.

About the wines, specifically the Chard, I lucked out on the Spirit in May when the ultra fabulous sommelier let me know with a wink that the Stag's Leap Chard had just been removed from the "revenue list" and he had some available! I had been pressing him for "what else???" It was far beyond any of the included varieties so he very kindly saved it for me for the duration. Love that man -he's in my will!

Seabourn is an excellent line. Enjoy your cruise.

Hello, we're booked on Odyssey 19/07/14 out of Venice. Our first Seabourn although we are experienced on other HAL and Cunard.

Questions are:

Dining - seating and restaurant availability - is it easy to get a table for two

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I found that anything is possible with tables in the diningroom. But I have also found that the nicest, most interesting people travel on Seabourn. There are no set tables and no set seatings so we always request a table with interesting people. The Maitre D had an amazing memory for his passengers and never failed to give us what we want. If you want a quiet, more intimate setting try the small tasting menu restaurant (you will have to book this one).

in addtion to the unlimited, there were a couple of packages in the middle... I got the 60 minute pkg. for $20 or $25 (???) - something fairly reasonable. If you use your computer or device in the computer room or very close to it, you'll get better reception and use less time. . . . .

1 Hour is $19.95

2 Hours is $29.95

4 Hours is $39.95

(I can't remember if there is something in between the 4 hours and unlimited)

Unlimited is $399.00

HTH

Lisa

1 Hour is $19.95

2 Hours is $29.95

4 Hours is $39.95

(I can't remember if there is something in between the 4 hours and unlimited)

Unlimited is $399.00

HTH

Lisa

7 days is $299. I have used the Platinum (4hrs) and had 4 of them for the 2 week cruise. That has worked out well, just got to remember to log off. Not really had much of a problem with speed but that is probably being in the Med and near the coastline.

Dear, oh dear... my dearest wants to pack his lightest pale grey (unlined seersucker) jacket to save space in his suitcase. Would this be acceptable in the dining room on the Quest? From the Seabourn site a jacket seems to be all that is required even on "formal optional" nights, and he refuses to pack a suit. His argument is that we already have to pack a lot of heavy outdoor gear (you can see the list on their site!), and surely on such an expedition type voyage, one need not be too concerned about formality.

Can someone advise us? I do not want him to look out of place.

You say "Hello, we're booked on Odyssey 19/07/14 out of Venice.....

Internet - what's the price / arrangement?"

I posted a suggestion on another internet thread. Most people chose to ignore it - but you might see a hint of an idea.

I have recently been quite near Venice, Rimini to be precise, and I used a Truphone sim card. My Android tablet does not act as a phone but it has WiFi. I put the card in my Samsung S4 cellphone and made it work as a WFi hot spot to the WiFi in the tablet.

Certainly it will not work when you are miles from the shore but it will work when you in sight of land. The point of the Truphone card is that it has much less expensive roaming charges than a card your normal cellphone company will be supplying.

Much depends on what you want to use the internet for - but for sending/receiving messages and accessing apps like Tripadvisor to source restaurant it will be far far cheaper than the deals being quoted above.

I've just looked at what my useage was costing me and it came to about a UK pound a day. That is staying on top of three email message boxes, making the odd reply when it could not wait my return home, looking up the odd restaurant using Google navigation to take me there.

Tony

Questions are:

Many thanks.

Champagne? Yes, it's good enough, and the more you drink, the more palatable.

Dining - seating and restaurant availability - is it easy to get a table for two: Yes, always, anytime,anywhere.

Excursions quality / value - any comments - depends on itinerary. Always do independent research. Sometime excellent value on SB, so don't disimss. If the SB excursions seem high, they probably are. Have found for more exotic ports, SB excursions are more reasonable.

Packed lunches - can these be provided - YES

House wines - is there a choice of veriatals (as we're keen on Chardonnay)_YES, just ask.

Archived