Foodie/Walking Advice

ucfchuck

Hello All,

Looking for advice on a day in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen spent eating, walking, checking out cool stuff, that ideally isn't over touristy.

When we visited Mexico City in March, one stop we really enjoyed was Sanborn's. I know full well it is a chain, and I get that it won't have quite the same aesthetic, ambiance, maybe even quality of the Casa de los Azulejos location in Centro Historico, but, it's still Sanborn's. So, getting there might be one of our goals for the day.

That said, our questions are as follows.

1. Safety of walking around central areas of Cozumel/Playa del Carmen in daytime?

2. Ferry service between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen? Cost, logistics, reliability in relation to the cruise ship?

3. Interesting, preferably safe streets to walk around, obviously it will be more touristy than many places in Mexico in general, but some places that aren't quite that way, but still walkable/pleasant to be around.

Thanks in advance!

Ferry service is available between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen from two companies and the ride takes about 40-45 min. PDC can be fun, but unless you are after something specific I would stay on Cozumel and not spend so much time getting to/from.

Downtown Cozumel offers some fun shopping and good dining options. Not sure about your chain restaurant in either location.

There is a Sanborns in Playa del Carmen. I think it's over near the airport. But you need to ask. And that might just be a department store not a restaurant.

None in Cozumel.

As John in DC says you need to be aware of the ferry times if you head to Playa. And especially be aware of any time difference between Cozumel and your ship's time. Coz is on EST all year around.

But you're going to be just fine wandering around the main plaza area in San Miguel. No need to take the ferry. Lots of restaurants. For a foodie, you can try Casa Denis, one of the oldest restaurants on the island. Or perhaps Kintas, which is a bit more upscale. Also there are plenty of smaller local loncherias, and comidas economicas that serve lunches. There' you'll find a variety of local, Yucatan foods. Not your Anglicized tax-mex.

Although I love both Cozumel and PDC there is no need to ferry over to PDC as there are great shops, restaurants and things to do in Cozumel. We've been there many times so this time we are taking a cooking class.

• 2 weeks later...

I would totally skip the ferry and walk around San Miguel... Completely safe, and lots of great local dining and drinking options. Off the top of my head, Dicks Dive for margaritas. Cuatro Tacos for great cheap fare. If you're a bit more adventurous, Los Otates for real Mexican tacos, cheap... Lobster Shack for an awesome lobster sandwich. Le Chef, and their famous lobster and bacon sandwich. La Choza is good, also great margaritas... All of these are within blocks of each other...

Edited to add: If you want some real adventure, grab a cab and head to the East Side... Mezcaltos has awesome margaritas and food. The coconut cabana AKA: Welcome to Miami has THE BEST DRINKS on the island... Rasta Bar... Senor Iguanas... Coconuts has crappy drinks, but worth a stop just for the view...

Edited by sid_9169
  • Thanks 1

Hey all!

Thanks for getting back to me. I will respond in order.

JohninDC: Sanborn's is really what I am after. I know very little about Playa Del Carmen other than that it is a mainland resort town across from Cozumel. I remember the ferry across when I went to go see Tulum. I had earlier thought about going to Coba, and still might want to at some point, but for this trip, I am doing the Xunantunich site in Belize instead, and just planning on doing something more foodie based/cheaper in Cozumel. I like ruins, but I think there is something to be said for variety. That said, my worry was that most places in Cozumel's downtown would be somewhat touristy. 

CrewSweeper: That information you provided was what I was looking for. And you seem to know enough of Sanborn's to know what I'm talking about, so I trust ya : ) https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sanborns/@20.6290842,-87.0711726,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8f4e432fb225c6ab:0x731145d27b1dfef0!8m2!3d20.6299377!4d-87.0706254 Here is the current location for the Sanborn's. I see a number of other attractions near there including a Frida Kahlo museum (that is my wife's favorite artist). Is that particularly interesting? Are there other things worth seeing that are cultural and/or historic that wouldn't be found in the San Miguel area?

SmokinMike: Thanks for the recommendations, sounds like you have some good experience there. 

HOSKI: It's pretty enjoyable then and there's various things to see? What types of places would you look at when spending the day, I heard there was some type of market? I'm open minded, but last time we only explored briefly while close to the ship after the ruin tour, and while it was reasonably nice, it kind of felt more like many touristy shops/strip mall type places, but maybe that's because we didn't go out far enough, or were in the wrong area. 

Sid: Thanks for some good local recommendations!

Best day we ever spent in Cozumel we rented a VW bug for the day from Isis and picked up a picnic lunch at the grocery store. Then we took the center road across the island stopping at the small ruins and other interesting places along the way. When we got to the other side of the island we had a picnic on the beach. The surf was very rough so we enjoyed the sand and lunch. Then we took the long way back along the outside of the island stopping wherever we wanted. We finished our day with dinner at our favorite empanada restaurant off the square and people watching in the square. That was the day that made me love Cozumel. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hoski, I love this suggestion!  Was it easy to arrange for the rental car near the pier?  Which company?  Do you remember where the grocery store was, or was it obvious?  Thanks for a great idea!  Any further details you can suggest will be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

We did this last week. Took a taxi to downtown San Miguel and walked to Dick's Dive. Yes the Margaritas were fab! then walked through shops and such on our way to the Lobster shack. got a little turned around, but with help form a shopkeeper found our way back lol.  i will be dreaming about that lobster roll for months! Turned out the lobster shack was just half a block form where the cab dropped us. It was a lovely day.