ST Thomas? IS it back on for Gem - why not EPIC TA?

Blondie008

I am reading now that the Gem has St Thomas on for the revised October 31 Itinerary.

Is this correct? Have I got that right?

Myself and many others on the Epic's Transatlantic are well gutted to have our day in St Thomas replaced with a totally different route which takes us further north atlantic (ie cold and miserable) for 7 days - then landing in the dreary Azores, then 6 days over to Orlando, where, they will do our immigration.

We (being mainly Uk and Euro) cruisers wanted to get across, even with NO stop - we would have been happier. (Many USA citizens are happy with the extra stop in Europe whereas we are not.)

We asked for San Juan when we contacted them and was told quote (The Dawn could still have its itinerary changed and there could still be no San Juan - THAT was btw from "Alberto of NCL Southampton Guest services" as I told him I would quote him on that statement. So if NCL read this - please note "Alberto" is making these statements out of Southampton office.

So now - I am seeing that the Gem cruises are getting in at St Thomas?

Is this right?

If so, I can see no reason why NCL would not stick to our orignal itinerary which had St Thomas on November 15th - some while after Gem has been in?

Thoughts anyone?

I know I am probably resigning myself to this lousy route - but I keep hanging on to a thread of hope??:(

look at the ship sizes and passenger capacity between the epic vs the gem.

Gem has a passenger capacity of about 2,390 people with about 1,000 crew members..for a total of about 3,390ish people

Epic has a passenger capacity of about 4,100 people with about 1,700 crew members..for a total of about 5,800ish people

I have a feeling that the Port Master of these cruise ports look at these numbers very carefully to see how the island/city/town can cope with soo many people.. With a island slowing rebuilding from these storms, i think the Port Officials wants the least amount of people.

Someone posted this on the roll call for that sailing, so I’m guessing it’s correct, I’m hoping the TA will go back to the original route, but I’ve got a feeling it won’t, especially now they have put so many excursions on sale for Ponta Delgada [emoji53]

I still have everything crossed though [emoji4]

Gem October 31, 2017 NYC to E. Caribbean

I just received the following email with where we're going:

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is our number one priority. After connecting with our operators and partners on the ground, we are saddened by the devastating impact Hurricane Irma has had on several islands in the Eastern Caribbean. We are working with our partners in the destinations to provide assistance to ensure these spectacular destinations are up and running and ready to welcome guests again very soon.

In the interim, due to the destruction caused by the storm we have altered the itinerary for Norwegian Gem cruise departing on October 31, 2017. Please see below for the ship's revised itinerary:

Original DayDestinationArriveDepart

TueNew York City, New York, Us

4:00 pm

WedAt Sea

ThuAt Sea

FriAt Sea

SatSan Juan, Puerto Rico8:00 am5:00 pm

SunSt.thomas, United States Virgin Islands8:00 am6:00 pm

MonPhilipsburg St. Maarten, Netherland Antilles8:00 am6:00 pm

TueBasseterre, Saint Kitts - Nevis8:00 am5:00 pm

WedTortola, British Virgin Islands7:00 am1:00 pm

ThuAt Sea

FriAt Sea

SatNew York City, New York, Us10:00 am

Revised DayDestinationArriveDepart

TueNew York City, New York, Us

4:00 pm

WedAt Sea

ThuAt Sea

FriAt Sea

SatBasseterre, Saint Kitts - Nevis8:00 am5:00 pm

SunCastries, St.Lucia8:00 am5:00 pm

MonBridgetown, Barbados8:00 am5:00 pm

TueFort-de-France, Martinique7:00 am1:00 pm

WedSt.thomas, United States Virgin Islands7:00 am1:00 pm

ThuAt Sea

FriAt Sea

SatNew York City, New York, Us10:00 am

If you booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line for any of the ports of call in the prior itinerary, your reservations will be cancelled and a refund will be automatically processed.

We appreciate your patience and understanding and hope that your cruise aboard Norwegian Gem is an enjoyable and memorable one.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would LOVE our Epic New Years cruise to be changed back, but am not holding my breath. While the ports may be ready to accept some passengers, I think at this point it’s “baby steps”- start small and go slow. And even if they did get changed back, a lot of the beloved spots we want to go are gone for now, so would it really be worth it? As much as I want to go on our original itinerary, it may have to wait until next December.

Gem has a passenger capacity of about 2,390 people with about 1,000 crew members..for a total of about 3,390ish people

Epic has a passenger capacity of about 4,100 people with about 1,700 crew members..for a total of about 5,800ish people

I have a feeling that the Port Master of these cruise ports look at these numbers very carefully to see how the island/city/town can cope with soo many people.. With a island slowing rebuilding from these storms, i think the Port Officials wants the least amount of people.

And don’t forget the US immigration! They might not have enough officials available to handle almost 6000 ppl in st. Thomas.

Very true - good point .

I don't believe St. Thomas can be the end point for any cruise until the flight schedules have normalized and hotels reopened. The Gem is only there for a day.

Can you imagine the push to get St. Thomas reopened with all the big players like Diamonds Intl and the big diamond company DeBeers, whom DI buys from? I am sure there was outcry from the regular folks too, who want a paycheck again.

I am so glad to hear, and impressed, that they are ready enough to at least reopen their shops.

I don't believe St. Thomas can be the end point for any cruise until the flight schedules have normalized and hotels reopened. The Gem is only there for a day.

Can you imagine the push to get St. Thomas reopened with all the big players like Diamonds Intl and the big diamond company DeBeers, whom DI buys from? I am sure there was outcry from the regular folks too, who want a paycheck again.

I am so glad to hear, and impressed, that they are ready enough to at least reopen their shops.

For us it was to be our first port of entry into the USA - US customs usually come on board and do immigration. Our cruise ends in Port Canaveral (from Barcelona )

For us, Ponta Delgada is the worst possible outcome.

For us it was to be our first port of entry into the USA - US customs usually come on board and do immigration. Our cruise ends in Port Canaveral (from Barcelona )

For us, Ponta Delgada is the worst possible outcome.

I suspect that they have not put it back on because of the immigration issue. They may not have the ability to do a full immigration check on a ship that arrives from Europe.

Have you ever been to the Azores? We have had some fabulous holidays there. The islands are fascinating and beautiful places with a really interesting history.

Yes we have. Once. ALL other times we have headed there the ship could not dock.

Sorry but it holds zero interest for us."One man's meat is another man's poison".

Did you take your holiday in the middle of November? No?

We wouldnt choose to go there in November.

My home is by far more beautiful, green hills, lands and Lochs galore. I have no interest in the history of the Azores. Sorry. Would rather have a day in Nassau or Falmouth or any of the substitute ports replacing St Thomas. Would rather have had NO port at all...

Add to that a more northerly crossing than the one we booked - and we have an indoor cruise as opposed to the warm, southerly route which we regularly take, a sunshine cruise.

ie - the one we booked. (but minus St Thomas obviously).

Even if they had stopped Gibraltar, Funchal, or anywhere in the Canaries would have been fine. But no, they chose the shortest, fuel saving, money saving trip possible.

Our travel agent was dumbfounded with the response she received from them when she called. Very rude and blunt response.

We are hoping for a miracle that the sun will shine and we will get some heat - but we are resigning ourselves to just accepting it will be a dreich cruise and the fun will be indoors.

We have lemons - we will drink Tequilla! ;p

I suspect that they have not put it back on because of the immigration issue. They may not have the ability to do a full immigration check on a ship that arrives from Europe.

It was the original stop for immigration - it always is - St Thomas IS the immigration stop. US customs board the ship to carry out immigration.

We would have been fine even anchoring out there and not even getting on to the island - at least we would have had sunshine and also cleared immigration..

Sadly not to be...