Wines by the Glass Choices on NCL Escape?

Hafpint75

Hello Fellow NCL Escape Cruisers. My husband and I will be aboard the Escape in November. I've tried to research the wines that will be aboard the Escape. Except for a dreary list of about 8 to 12 mediocre wines posted by a blogger in 2015, I've had no luck. I think said list was of the offerings contained in the UBP.

I saw a YouTube of The Cellars Wine Bar, but the blogger spent most of the 3.5 minutes of his video showing the furniture, and scrolled through the tablet menu offerings far too quickly to be able to identify most of them, or which were "by the glass" choices.

Has anyone a wine list more current than 2015? As it stands, without more info, I'll probably be bringing several bottles of wine and paying the $15 per bottle corkage fee, rather than pay $10 for a glass of plonk where the bottle's only worth $9.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I’ve seen that. I don’t know where he got his “80s” ratings for the wines, but I think the choices are overpriced and mediocre, based on the selections out of that group I’ve tasted before. Certainly beer and whiskey drinkers have some excellent choices (although those are overpriced too. Neither RCCL nor Celebrity charge such premiums).

I saw that. Mediocre. But then, NCL is probably assuming most cruisers want the UBP and therefore are opting for quantity of alcohol.

No matter; I'm bringing my own from Totalwines.com, and will supplement with the occasional glass of the ship's Cava, which is good.

Of course the Veuve Cliquot aboard ship is good - but NCL has it ridiculously overpriced. I expect some upcharging, but this is our first cruise on NCL (previously we were on RCCL and Celebrity), and find the pricing rather surprising.

I saw that. Mediocre. But then, NCL is probably assuming most cruisers want the UBP and therefore are opting for quantity of alcohol.

No matter; I'm bringing my own from Totalwines.com, and will supplement with the occasional glass of the ship's Cava, which is good.

Of course the Veuve Cliquot aboard ship is good - but NCL has it ridiculously overpriced. I expect some upcharging, but this is our first cruise on NCL (previously we were on RCCL and Celebrity), and find the pricing rather surprising.

Have you read about the Viva Vino??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Someone posted this list a few months ago. I haven’t found an updated list but this gives you an idea of the offer.

I have the UBP and trying to decide on this or bringing my own wine and paying corkage. I don’t like the wines NCL is offering by the glass.

[emoji20][emoji20][emoji20]

0ae6d5664884452f00002a85a0732850.jpg

Yes. Overpriced. I'm doing better bringing my own and paying the ridiculous $15 corkage fee. I just looked up, as an example, some of the "Enthusiast" offerings. NCL is charging $88; I can buy that for $37.50. Yes, if I paid four corkage fees, I'd be paying more, but for grocery store wine. The same goes for the pricier offerings by NCL. No, from what I've seen, I'd rather spend my money on good wine. In fact, if I brought a bottle of Veuve Cliquot (which I'm not, because it's overpriced for what it is) and paid the corkage fee, I'd be spending less than buying it from the cruise line. And if I bought wines by the glass, the discrepancy would be even greater. UBP makes sense for cruisers who value quantity over quality, but we're not of that ilk.

Yes. Overpriced. I'm doing better bringing my own and paying the ridiculous $15 corkage fee. I just looked up, as an example, some of the "Enthusiast" offerings. NCL is charging $88; I can buy that for $37.50. Yes, if I paid four corkage fees, I'd be paying more, but for grocery store wine. The same goes for the pricier offerings by NCL. No, from what I've seen, I'd rather spend my money on good wine. In fact, if I brought a bottle of Veuve Cliquot (which I'm not, because it's overpriced for what it is) and paid the corkage fee, I'd be spending less than buying it from the cruise line. And if I bought wines by the glass, the discrepancy would be even greater. UBP makes sense for cruisers who value quantity over quality, but we're not of that ilk.

I know the feeling. Time to start making the list for Total Wine then.

[emoji6][emoji6][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Wonderful Question. I too enjoy a nice bottle or 3 of wine every day, particularly with breakfast.

This being said, I recently was on the Escape and found an amazing assortment. I thought they were a great value and really enhanced my cruising experience. Some of my particular favorites were:

Wild Irish Rose from Canandaigua Wines

Night Train from Gallo Wineries (Fine Modesto California Wine)

Thunderbird from Gallo Wineries (Another great California here)

Strawberry Hill from Boone's Farm. This one is AMAZING with a few pounds of bacon from the buffet before 9am or with some sushi.

If you are looking to splurge a bit ( after all it is a vacation) then I recommend:

The Big Kahuna (Nice little Spanish wine here)

White Zinfindel from Sutter Home

Charles Shaw Chardonnay

Vin Rose' by Carlo Rossi - This is my particular favorite value, as it comes in a handy gallon jug with a screw top (No Cork pieces!...BONUS) This pairs extremely well with just about everything, and amazingly brings a high level of elegance to a big greasy cheeseburger.

• Haha 1

Wonderful Question. I too enjoy a nice bottle or 3 of wine every day, particularly with breakfast.

This being said, I recently was on the Escape and found an amazing assortment. I thought they were a great value and really enhanced my cruising experience. Some of my particular favorites were:

Wild Irish Rose from Canandaigua Wines

Night Train from Gallo Wineries (Fine Modesto California Wine)

Thunderbird from Gallo Wineries (Another great California here)

Strawberry Hill from Boone's Farm. This one is AMAZING with a few pounds of bacon from the buffet before 9am or with some sushi.

If you are looking to splurge a bit ( after all it is a vacation) then I recommend:

The Big Kahuna (Nice little Spanish wine here)

White Zinfindel from Sutter Home

Charles Shaw Chardonnay

Vin Rose' by Carlo Rossi - This is my particular favorite value, as it comes in a handy gallon jug with a screw top (No Cork pieces!...BONUS) This pairs extremely well with just about everything, and amazingly brings a high level of elegance to a big greasy cheeseburger.

🤣 omg I'm dying 🤣

• 1 year later...

There were a couple of posts above with links to older wine lists from the Escape. Our last cruise on the Escape was June 2017, so this opinion may be out of date - but I've always found the wine lists on the ship to be generally mediocre, and the by-the-glass choices even poorer. 

There was mention of the wine bar. I think it's run by one of the California wineries, and only serves their products. I don't recall which winery this was.

2 hours ago, Deirdre6084 said:

Hi Hafpint, Did you find out the answer to your question? What wines are available by the glass on NCL? I am going on the Escape in May 2019 and would be interested to know. Thanks in advance

Here’s a current main dining room wine list.