Venice Waterbus

ClevelandKid

We will be doing the March 20 trip from Venice to Athens, but we will fly in the day before to do sightseeing in Venice. Because of that we won't have the Viking transfer, and will need to find our own way in. I am interested in the waterbus because, well, it sounds cool and definitely a Venice type of thing to do, and at 14 euros, relatively cheap.

I see where I can buy a voucher online, and trade it in for a ticket when we get there. I have come across several directions online that say take it to the #78 ticket booth and exchange it there. However, I am unclear where the #78 ticket booth is - in the terminal itself, or near where we board the boat? Anyone that has done this and can help, we would be appreciative. Thanks!

i bought my waterbus pass at a kiosk when I got to Venice, then used it right there. easy, quick, a bargain. You are right, it is a Venice thing to do and helps to get you with locals a little. I think local people is what travel is all about!

If you are talking about the Alilaguna water bus, you can buy your ticket (or exchange your voucher) at there kiosk/booth just outside the luggage claim area. There are several different booths for various types of ground transportation.

Be forewarned that it is a bit of a hike from the point where you get the ticket to the actual dock. Easy inside walking but you do have to manage your luggage.

alilaguna.it is website for alilaguna water bus.

Assume you know that there are a number of different water buses in Venice. If you buy a day pass for the Alilaguna (yellow water bus) , it can't be used on the ACTV water buses and vice versa. We witnessed people getting tickets because they didn't have the correct ticket or pass.

We loved riding the ACTV water buses - to Burano and Murano, around past the port, down lesser-traveled routes on the water in Venice, etc.

If you are talking about the Alilaguna water bus, you can buy your ticket (or exchange your voucher) at there kiosk/booth just outside the luggage claim area. There are several different booths for various types of ground transportation.

Be forewarned that it is a bit of a hike from the point where you get the ticket to the actual dock. Easy inside walking but you do have to manage your luggage.

Moving walkways have been added. Still some walking involved, but then most don’t go to Venice unless they are prepared to do a lot of walking.

Thanks much - we will buy online since that seems to be a bit of a discount, and exchange at the booth.

Depending on where you do your online purchase, you may get entry to several museums included. A good deal if you care about those museums. Otherwise a waste.

Taking the waterbus is all very well, but it gets very lumpy and bumpy! Meanwhile, if you have no mobility problems, you can easily walk from the ship (if it is docked at Marittima), and experience loads of cute little bridges and small little residential canal views. You get to see small shops and churches and little colourful piazzas (squares) wouldn't miss those for the world.

Bit difficult to walk from the airport. We used the Alliguna water bus from the airport for our pre cruise stay in Venice. Excellent Service. You could of course take a taxi, or the airport bus to Piazzale Roma then the regular water bus to a point near your hotel. But agree walking in Venice itself is wonderful. Getting lost is part of the fun.

Edited by Mrs Miggins
Delete Pizza Navone

Alilaguna, as mentioned above, is the best "mass transit" boat from the airport. If its a nice day and you have some $$ burning a hole in your pocket, one of the private water taxis is the nicest way to go...especially the convertible ones with the wind blowing in your hair.

If you do not have mobility issues, walking Venice is the quickest way to get around "central" Venice . The vaporetti and motoscafi will save your legs but they can be SLOW. Like you wonder if you will ever get there slow. To cut down on the walking when you want to cross the Grand Canal, you are not limited to the main bridges (Accademia, Rialto, Scalzi, and the one b/t Statzione and Piazzale Roma). There are "traghetti" that cross the Grand Canal at intervals. Basically they are non-fancy gondole with 2 gondoliers. Its been a few years since Ive been there, so I am not sure what the fare was, but it was minimal and they save a lot of walking.

Hopefully we'll be joining a ship in Venice, and I think/hope there is transport provided. We've done our flights through Viking - is the transit automatically included, and if so, is it by road or water? After the airport do we take our bags with us ourselves, or will Viking sort that out?