Bonine pills or Scopolamine patch?

Jenbirds

I'm cruising in the Southern Caribbean in April 2010, and not sure which motion sickness prevention to use. I've read there are some side effects to the patch AFTER you return home and remove the patch (i.e., dizziness for 2-3 days).

Any input would be appreciated.

Adventure of the Seas '04

Adventure of the Seas '10

I'm cruising in the Southern Caribbean in April 2010, and not sure which motion sickness prevention to use. I've read there are some side effects to the patch AFTER you return home and remove the patch (i.e., dizziness for 2-3 days).

Any input would be appreciated.

Adventure of the Seas '04

Adventure of the Seas '10

When we sailed on the AOS in 2008 you could barely feel the ship moving, maybe go with the Bonine Pills only if you need them??

My wife an I were on a southern Caribbean cruise in 06, and we did fine with Bonine, started the day before the cruise departed. 2 days of 14-16 foot waves, and we could feel the movement, but didn't experience any seasickness. :)

There are also potential side effects of the patch while wearing it. If you put it on or touch it and then touch your eyes, you will have blurry vision (really, really blurry); even if you don't touch your eyes, you can get blurry vision. Other possible side effects: dry mouth, dry mouth, and post-use dizziness. Also, you shouldn't use it if you have certain medical conditions (particularly glaucoma, I think). It's a good option for those who have fairly severe motion sickness.

There are also potential side effects of meclazine (that's generic for Bonine). Some drowsiness (usually much less than for Dramamine) is possible, which is why we take it at night if we decide we need it, and dry mouth, although we've never noticed that. What we like about meclazine is that we can take a 1/2 dose and only when we feel we need it. Although it's best to start it the night before the cruise, it will still work even if you wait until you're feeling queasy--You'll just feel lousy while you wait for it to work. (Those who say it "won't work" if you wait are wrong.)

Either one can be helpful, but you might also want to try ginger capsules or even ginger candies first because they are very helpful and have no side effects. We like those quite a bit, but can't always find them.

beachchick

There are also potential side effects of the patch while wearing it. If you put it on or touch it and then touch your eyes, you will have blurry vision (really, really blurry); even if you don't touch your eyes, you can get blurry vision. Other possible side effects: dry mouth and post-use dizziness. Also, you shouldn't use it if you have certain medical conditions (particularly glaucoma, I think). It's a good option for those who have fairly severe motion sickness.

There are also potential side effects of meclazine (that's generic for Bonine). Some drowsiness (usually much less than for Dramamine) is possible, which is why we take it at night if we decide we need it, and dry mouth, although we've never noticed that. What we like about meclazine is that we can take a 1/2 dose and only when we feel we need it. Although it's best to start it the night before the cruise, it will still work even if you wait until you're feeling queasy--You'll just feel lousy while you wait for it to work. (Those who say it "won't work" if you wait are wrong.)

Either one can be helpful, but you might also want to try ginger capsules or even ginger candies first because they are very helpful and have no side effects. We like those quite a bit, but can't always find them.

beachchick

Agree with beachchick. Wore the patch for my first 5 cruises, and side effects during the cruise were terrible. Great with seasickness, but dry mouth, tired, blurry vision. My SIL had to take off her patch in the middle of her cruise because it made her feel so awful.

Last cruise in December I did a combo of Bonine and Sea Bands and it was perfect. I started the bonine 2 days before we left and I felt great. Yes, I still drank, and it wasn't bad. I felt no side effects.

Knowing I am a very easily motion sick person, I trust nothing but the patch. I guess it's not worth the risk to me of trying something else when I know the patch works for me. I compare the side effects to those of putting on new eye glasses. Dry mouth, you just learn to deal with. I always change my patch just before bed and this lessens the side effects.

I'm pretty prone to any motion sickness that is steady and slow (rolling waves, anyone? haha). I found that Meclizine (Bonine) worked very well in rough seas on my last cruise. It makes me very sleepy in the beginning, but if I took a short nap (20-30 mins), I would feel great for the rest of the day.

I took the maximum dose of 1 in the morning and 1 at night because I had been so sick the first night (w/o medicine). I do have to say that the day I came back from my cruise and had stopped taking the Meclizine, I was extremely drowsy. I don't know if it's because I took it twice a day.

Next time, my plan is to take a dose the night before I leave and try to do just once per night after that. I'll only take more if I'm really feeling sick.

The long and short of it is that it works very well, is minimally drowsy, but side effects seem to compound after a few days if you're sensitive to side effects.

I use the patch with few side effects. My eye doctor told me recently that the reason it causes blurry vision is because it is the same medication they use to dilate your eyes when they do eye tests (who knew!). I have some blurry vision, but not enough to stop me from reading (although I do need to wear glasses and not contacts because it also makes my eyes a bit dry), and a tiny bit of dry mouth for the first day or two.

Meclizine almost puts me into a coma - even if I only take half a tablet before bed. So the patch is the choice for me.

I have learned to leave the last patch on for 2 or 3 days AFTER we get home. I discovered that my sea legs were worse if I tore the patch off as soon as we arrived on land. I suspect it has something to do with the inner ear settling back on to terra firma in combination with the shock of stopping the medication.

Good luck with your decision!

Sound like a broken record on this one but here goes:

We go to a compounding pharmacy and they make us a Scopolamine gel that we rub on our wrists, a pea size glob twice a day. It's handy and that's the only way we go anymore.

We normally quit taking it after a few days but I like it as we can reduce the dosage towards the end of the cruise.

All of the directions with Scopolamine tells you to wash you hands if you have touched it. As with anything, read the directions and use accordingly.

The patch is generally regarded as the strongest medicine. It has, as has been noted, some side effects, and it is interesting that nobody has mentioned the extreme side effect -- hallucinations -- that some people have. The best way to see if you tolerate the patch is to get a prescription in advance and try the patch on dry land to see how you do with it. Not too many people experience hallucinations, but you don't want to find out that you do when you are at sea. You will also, obviously, find out if you experience the somewhat less unpleasant but still bothersom side effects.

Since you need a prescription for the Patch, have you considered asking for the Scopolamine pills? I have major seasick issues and prefer the pills. No dry mouth problems & I was able to take less than was prescribed based on how I was feeling & if we were in port or at sea.

I purchased a pair of accupressure wristbands from a marine supply store. I've not had to use them, but I have loaned them out to several friends and relatives who get extremely seasick. None of them have had any trouble while wearing them, and you avoid any side effects from drugs.

Don't you have to have a prescription for this gel? The patch worked GREAT for me on my last cruise (which was also my first cruise) but I can't get it without a prescription, I thought.

Yes. We ended up going that route when (a few years ago) preparing for a cruise and the patch was not available. The patch went through a off the market back on the market cycle for awhile so that was our solution.

IMO, a lot of people over-state the side effects but obviously as with any medication (i.e. Tylenol) there are potential side effects. When in doubt, check out: http://www.transdermscop.com/ . My wife is pretty sensitive to a lot of med's and she has had good luck with it.

As to side effects like hallucinations, they are listed under the "Overdose" section and are extremely rare. A lot of medications list it as a side effect. As with all med's read the directions and follow them. We have had no ill effects. I do drink a fair amount on a cruise and thought that might be an issue and it wasn't

Anyway, off my soapbox, we just happen to like the gel instead of wearing the patch. Results are the same.

My DH and I both had a bad experience with the scopolamine patch. We had gone to bed and at about 1 am in the morning I realized that I just couldn't get to sleep. I felt like I was on speed or something. I asked my DH if he was awake and he too felt the same as me. We realized right away that it had to be the patch because we had eaten different foods and that was the only thing we had in common. I will never use it again. I buy ginger gum at the drugstore (CVS or Rite Aid). It is made by SEA BAND the same company that makes the SEA BAND wrist bands. It has worked well for me and my DS (now 14) and the DH swear by the wrist bands. One time the DH and I took some Bonine when we went sailing with a friend and we came home and slept for 14 hours straight~!:eek:

If your worried about falling asleep, we always take the Non Drowsy formula.

I have not seen that mentioned (maybe I missed it).

Actually, Bonine is non drowsy and doesn't come in "regular" versus "non/less drowsy" formulas. Bonine is a brand name for meclazine, which is also used in less drowsy Dramamine, which I think might be called Dramamine II. Bonine (meclazine) is the less drowsy medication used instead of the active ingredient in Dramamine.

beachchick

i have always taken bonine and never gotten seasick. i start taking it a couple days before i get on the ship and for a couple days into the cruise. maybe i have been lucky but that includes cruising too alaska, from new york to canada and into the western caribbean. i have good luck with the bonine and hope you do with whatever you decide to use.

I bring both the meclazine and the original Dramamine. The former works in most situations, but if it gets really bad I switch to the original Dramamine which works better but makes me sleepy.

I have found in my 20+ cruises that whether you feel the effects 2-3 days after the cruise depends on how the seas were, not on the medication. If the seas were really bad and you medicated throughout, then expect to feel a bit of sea legs for a couple days regardless of the medication.

One more point - bring ginger pills. They help tremendously!

On my last cruise I started taking Bonine a day before sailing, and took it throughout the cruise. I also had the Scolopine gel and used it throughout the cruise. I STILL GOT SICK!! The only thing that saved me was a prescription of phenegren that my mom had happened to bring with her. This time I am trying the patch and ginger..hope it works...

Archived