Bridge Tours?

PiratessLooksAt40

Does Celebrity do bridge tours anymore? We’re cruising Summit to Bermuda with our kids in July & have a very inquisitive 8 year old who wants to see “how the ship works”. He just loves all things engineering.

He’s autistic and prepping even this far in advance is crucial to successful trips. Not his first cruise but this time around he’s less interested in what will happen on board & more on how the ship runs. We’ve been watching all sorts of videos about how the ships move & stabilize. He’s already got a list of questions he wants to ask Captain Alex (assuming it’s still him for Captain Kate’s vacation).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, they do. Often they are by invitation only - those in suites and very high in the loyalty program get invites. Sometimes people attending a Cruise Critic meet & greet have been invited. If not in a suite or high up in Captain's Club (but a member of Captain's Club) seek out the Captain's Club hostess early in the cruise and make a request to be invited to one (explaining how excited your son would be to receive a bridge tour). Doesn't guarantee an invite, but gives you a chance. If you are not in Captain's Club I would contact either Guest Relations, the general Concierge or the Special Event Coordinator (I think this position exists on Celebrity, but may be mistaken) early on to make the request. One other bit of advice to boost the odds would be to have your son right a letter to the Captain explaining why he wants the bridge tour and turn this in to either Captain's Club host or Guest Relations. If you happen to be in a suite, just ask the Concierge in Michael's Club (very high odds of the tour if you are in a suite). Celebrity sometimes offers paid behind-the-scenes tours (bridge, engine control room, theater, galley, even crew areas), but this is extremely spendy.

Recently had the pleasure of sailing with Captain Kate and Captain Alex; both outstanding people and Captain Kate gave the most interesting bridge tour I've attended.

Ships do offer an excursion on board that takes you to the bridge, engineering, anchor area, food storage, crew quarters, theater, etc. There is a fee associated with this. We have done it and it was worth it. We signed up at Guest Relations on the first day. I now see it listed under Excursions. Look on the Sea Days.

Ships do offer an excursion on board that takes you to the bridge, engineering, anchor area, food storage, crew quarters, theater, etc. There is a fee associated with this. We have done it and it was worth it. We signed up at Guest Relations on the first day. I now see it listed under Excursions. Look on the Sea Days.

We’ve done one of these on the Eclipse - excellent!

But do look at the fine print before you get too excited. I vaguely recall that there was an age restriction... Slippery galley floors, steep ladder-like stairs to climb, etc. If you can get in, he will love it! Ours ended with a very patient Captain and Staff Captain spending about an hour with us on the bridge describing the operation and answering questions.

Stan

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just took the Behind The Scenes Tour on the Millennium earlier today and it was worth the price of admission. Met the captain and toured the following areas: Bridge, Kitchen, Engineering, Control Room and Laundry. At each station a senior leader gave an overview of the area and answered any questions from the attendees. Scheduled for 2 hours but went over due to all the questions. I was skeptical it would be worth it but it turned out to be very interesting!