Ballroom Dance Styles for the Queen's Room

57eric

1) Cha Cha .

2) Social Rhythm ( which our American cousins insist on calling it Foxtrot - it's actually a Social foxtrot and the easiest dance of all ) not to be confused with a Ballroom Foxtrot .

3) Basic waltz .

These dances you will learn at the beginners dance lessons each day across the Cunard fleet.

Good luck .

Just returned from a QE cruise and the band played lots of my favourites.

Waltz, foxtrot and rumba.

During the early evening recorded music sessions when the dance floor was not too crowded, it was possible to dance true ballroom slow foxtrot, reverting to social foxtrot when it became more crowded.

Nice also to see some sequence dance sessions during the cruise.

Bell Boy.....Is Social Rhythm also called two step? Just wondering.

My favourites are:

Waltz, Two Step and Polka. I do not believe I have had a Polka in Queen's Room though.

No, completely different, a two step is a poor version of what us Brits call a Quick Step. Social Rhythm ( also called Social Foxtrot) is one of the easiest dances to learn .Social Foxtrot is usually one of the first dances that a pupil will learn at a dance class here in the UK. It is very popular as it will get a beginner around the dance floor quite comfortably.

Social Foxtrot/Social Rhythm is not to be confused with a 'Ballroom Foxtrot' .

Slow Foxtrot (not Social Foxtrot)

Quickstep

Waltz

BUT - don't expect to do any of the above properly at busy times on Cunard dance floors. Sadly, the floors are not really big enough and the majority of 'dancers' have very limited ability. This is not a criticism - but it is a fact!

Slow Foxtrot (not Social Foxtrot)

Quickstep

Waltz

BUT - don't expect to do any of the above properly at busy times on Cunard dance floors. Sadly, the floors are not really big enough and the majority of 'dancers' have very limited ability. This is not a criticism - but it is a fact!

Ditto I agree Slow Foxtrot with the population of the ship even noticed it on the QE2, the adequate space to do certain dances is not there having been a dance performer once.

And I do know watching on our sailings there is a good amount of the people on there to have fun while on vacation. Some interesting adlib steps seem to be created

While there are those who have waited for the opportunity to take advantage of the Ballroom Orchestra in this Ballroom on the Seas.

That is why G32 is available to "Let Your Hair Down" and "Hang Loose".

Social Foxtrot for sure. Country Two-Step/Quickstep usually (any USISTD or DVIDA-qualified teacher should give you the basics of Quickstep). Some band leaders play more Waltz. For Rhythm/Latin, usually Cha-Cha. I agree the floor is smaller and more crowded than a US dance studio, open figures from American Waltz and Foxtrot are problematic.

Not much variety in Rhythm. If you want something else, the DJ's in the Yacht Club are usually approachable. You could also ask the Social Hostess, the QR sound tech is sometimes very good.

Thanks to all who responded, particularly regarding the foxtrot. On my previous voyage, group lessons were provided on the six sea days and for a missed port. Of the seven dance styles offered, none were the foxtrot, so I was not planning to work on it. I am now!