Vegetarian Menu Celebrity Reflection Eastern Caribbean

CruisinNewb

Are these menus that only have vegetarian items?

I am familiar with the Celebrity menus that have just one item in each section marked vegetarian.

So are these special vegetarian menus?

The regular menus always have one vegetarian item but I found out about two years ago (thank you again Cruise Critic :D ) that there is a separate vegetarian menu for each night. (And it's also available in Blu !!!) It has made the dinners of this vegetarian much more interesting.

Edited by chamima

Don't want to be a grinch but we've found out that any dish marked as vegetarian, on the main menu or vegetarian menu, in the MDR, Blu, Luminae or the Speciality Restaurants that include cheese will have cheese made with animal rennet ( usually derived from calves stomach) therefore is won't be vegetarian. This was confirmed by the head chef on Eclipse in September. Vegetarian means no meat or meat derivatives Celebrity!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi CruisinNewb,

thank you for this info. I also enjoyed reading your cruise review posted under the thread "Review: Celebrity Reflection-Eastern Caribbean 1/7/17". You noted a meal at QSine. Can you describe the vegetarian options there? I am curious how accommodating the specialty restaurants are to vegetarians (I suppose I can cross Tuscan Grill off my list).

Thanks!

Don't want to be a grinch but we've found out that any dish marked as vegetarian, on the main menu or vegetarian menu, in the MDR, Blu, Luminae or the Speciality Restaurants that include cheese will have cheese made with animal rennet ( usually derived from calves stomach) therefore is won't be vegetarian. This was confirmed by the head chef on Eclipse in September. Vegetarian means no meat or meat derivatives Celebrity!

k - In the USA, this does mean vegetarian, when one is animal product/additive free, such as myself, we are referred to as vegan.

I Am sure this is the (USA) standard and definitions which X uses. As such, when one boards X, they need to speak with the Maitre d' to verify or request what is available and appropriate for your dietary needs/requirements/desires.

bon voyage

k - In the USA, this does mean vegetarian, when one is animal product/additive free, such as myself, we are referred to as vegan.

I Am sure this is the (USA) standard and definitions which X uses. As such, when one boards X, they need to speak with the Maitre d' to verify or request what is available and appropriate for your dietary needs/requirements/desires.

bon voyage

Thanks for the input. I've been searching and cannot find anywhere that in the US that 'Vegetarian' defines people who eat no meat but will eat products containing meat derivatives. Vegan is the next step and excludes dairy and is something separate to vegetarian. He's of course Vegans need to speak to the Maitre D.

I've had a communication with the MD of Celebrity UK who had no idea that the cheese in dishes marked as Vegetarian on the menus could possibly contain meat derivatives and forwarded the matter to HQ.

If you fly on a plane and say you are vegetarian the airline would never include cheese that was made with animal rennet. The airlines use an internationally recognised definition of vegetarian.

How would this weak definition of Vegetarianism go down with those with strict religious beliefs for who eating meat in any form would contravene their beliefs? If they relied on the cruise lines' definition then they would inadvertently eat meat.

I'm afraid Celebrity are pretending to meet the needs of vegetarians and yet are tricking them with their food labelling.

Hi CruisinNewb,

thank you for this info. I also enjoyed reading your cruise review posted under the thread "Review: Celebrity Reflection-Eastern Caribbean 1/7/17". You noted a meal at QSine. Can you describe the vegetarian options there? I am curious how accommodating the specialty restaurants are to vegetarians (I suppose I can cross Tuscan Grill off my list).

Thanks!

Many of the foods in QSine are not vegetarian. It is very heavily meat focused (meat including fish, seafood etc). Like most restaurants.

My older daughter and I are veg, my wife and younger daughter are not. So I want to go to a place that accommodates everyone.

Qsine Greens: Salad

Spring Rolls: They usually serve 4 in an order and they are on the medium to large size. 2 have meat (pork I think), 2 are just vegetables. They come with 2 different sauces You could ask the server for all vegetables if everyone in your party is vegetarian.

Soup and Souffle: The soups are all vegetable puree soups. I did not ask if they are made with a vegetable broth. Sometimes vegetable soups are made with meat stock. I'd ask. We didn't have this dish.

M's Favorites: This was a mix of meat an non meat dishes. It is served in this large wooden box with open compartments. In each compartment and on the top of the box is a different food. It ran the gamut from lamb chops, chicken and chili to the veg options which were hummus, eggplant, olives, tabbouleh, falafel and goat cheese cigars. It was a lot of food. We enjoyed it.

Vegetable DeJatour is a bunch of different pureed vegetables. We didn't have this.

TajMajal: Has vegetable samosas, Palak Paneer (spinach dish), Malai Kofta (mashed potato and cheese dumplings), Chole (a chick pea dish) etc. We didn't try this.

Taco Royale: They made two meat and two vegetable tacos for us. Very good

They also made homemade guacamole, table side for us.

Crunchy Munchies: Various fried things, potatoes, parsnips, etc.

A few of the other dishes had items that were not vegetarian but there were vegetarian items in them, like the stir fried vegetables in the chinese dishes or the chips in the Fish and Chips.

We had plenty to eat. Not to mention the desserts :)

Edited by CruisinNewb

Many of the foods in QSine are not vegetarian. It is very heavily meat focused (meat including fish, seafood etc). Like most restaurants.....

<snip>

...We had plenty to eat. Not to mention the desserts :)

Wow! Thank you for that thorough description of your meal. You could moonlight as a restaurant critic!

This is vegetarian. What you are referring to is Vegan, which requires coordination with celebrity guest special services.

Thanks for the input. I've been searching and cannot find anywhere that in the US that 'Vegetarian' defines people who eat no meat but will eat products containing meat derivatives. Vegan is the next step and excludes dairy and is something separate to vegetarian. He's of course Vegans need to speak to the Maitre D.

I've had a communication with the MD of Celebrity UK who had no idea that the cheese in dishes marked as Vegetarian on the menus could possibly contain meat derivatives and forwarded the matter to HQ.

If you fly on a plane and say you are vegetarian the airline would never include cheese that was made with animal rennet. The airlines use an internationally recognised definition of vegetarian.

How would this weak definition of Vegetarianism go down with those with strict religious beliefs for who eating meat in any form would contravene their beliefs? If they relied on the cruise lines' definition then they would inadvertently eat meat.

I'm afraid Celebrity are pretending to meet the needs of vegetarians and yet are tricking them with their food labelling.

In the US we have varying vegetarian diets:

Lacto-vegetarian diets exclude meat, fish, poultry and eggs, as well as foods that contain them. Dairy products, such as milk, cheese, yogurt and butter, are included.

Ovo-vegetarian diets exclude meat, poultry, seafood and dairy products, but allow eggs.

Lacto-ovo vegetarian diets exclude meat, fish and poultry, but allow dairy products and eggs.

Pescatarian diets exclude meat and poultry, dairy, and eggs, but allow fish.

Pollotarian diets exclude meat, dairy and fish, but allow poultry.

Vegan diets exclude meat, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy products — and foods that contain these products.

Some people follow a semivegetarian diet — also called a flexitarian diet — which is primarily a plant-based diet but includes meat, dairy, eggs, poultry and fish on occasion or in small quantities.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/vegetarian-diet/art-20046446

Celebrity's vegetarian meals will / may be made with broths including animal products, i.e. chicken stock.

If you don't eat any animal by products you'll need to order vegan.

Edited by DZalumni

Lacto-vegetarian diets exclude meat, fish, poultry and eggs, as well as foods that contain them. Dairy products, such as milk, cheese, yogurt and butter, are included.

Ovo-vegetarian diets exclude meat, poultry, seafood and dairy products, but allow eggs.

Lacto-ovo vegetarian diets exclude meat, fish and poultry, but allow dairy products and eggs.

Vegan diets exclude meat, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy products — and foods that contain these products.

Some people follow a semivegetarian diet — also called a flexitarian diet — which is primarily a plant-based diet but includes meat, dairy, eggs, poultry and fish on occasion or in small quantities.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/vegetarian-diet/art-20046446

Celebrity's vegetarian meals will / may be made with broths including animal products, i.e. chicken stock.

d - Thank you for the more detailed explanation. I thought about it, then after hitting send to go back to detail it all was not going to be a winner for me... ;-)

I believe some time ago, someone else or KY iterated about this very same issue on which I made the explanation.

Yet, it is simple, if one is vegan no cheese for us regardless of what the cook says! ;-)

bon voyage

We ate in Q-sine on the Silhouette last month. The server went over the menu and showed us which dishes were veg and which could be made veg. We had more than enough to choose from and gave up before we got to the last thing we had chosen -- we were full.

No. k does not mean vegetarian.

It means Kosher.

It could be meat (not pork and some other meats) that was slaughtered according to a religious procedure.

If could be seafood (not crustaceans).

And of course it could include vegetarian or vegan food items.

More information at http://www.ok.org/companies/what-is-kosher/meat-dairy-pareve-setting-boundaries/

No. k does not mean vegetarian.

It means Kosher.

It could be meat (not pork and some other meats) that was slaughtered according to a religious procedure.

If could be seafood (not crustaceans).

And of course it could include vegetarian or vegan food items.

More information at http://www.ok.org/companies/what-is-kosher/meat-dairy-pareve-setting-boundaries/

c - k is the first initial of the person who wrote the post. K is the universal symbol for kashrut or kosher..... you are absolutely correct about its' meaning alone.

If one is Kosher, then we would speak up accordingly in our posts, most of us really do not expect X to be K, even on High Holiday Sailings or at least many of us would not believe them to be able to be easily without quite a large contingency of observants sailing at the same time.

Thank you for your post.

bon voyage

What absolute twaddle. Celebrity advertise internationally and have a ship ex UK in the summer. It's just ridiculous to say that someone who doesn't eat meat must advise they are vegan. Vegetarian is universally accepted as being Lactose-Vegetarian. I.e. No meat or meat derivatives but dairy is ok. Worldwide airlines adopt this definition so why should people except Celebrity from this definition especially when they could easily ensure their cheese supplies contain no animal rennet given their buying power. Easy, we will buy your cheese if it is vegetarian, if not we will buy from the other zillions of providers.

And finally, if Celebrity's definition of what their V symbol means may be misinterpreted then why don't they say on their menu what exactly the V means rather than leading it open to misinterpretation. They lead it open to interpretation for their own benefit. Honestly Im furious about the apathy on this thread.

What absolute twaddle. Celebrity advertise internationally and have a ship ex UK in the summer. It's just ridiculous to say that someone who doesn't eat meat must advise they are vegan. Vegetarian is universally accepted as being Lactose-Vegetarian. I.e. No meat or meat derivatives but dairy is ok. Worldwide airlines adopt this definition so why should people except Celebrity from this definition especially when they could easily ensure their cheese supplies contain no animal rennet given their buying power. Easy, we will buy your cheese if it is vegetarian, if not we will buy from the other zillions of providers.

And finally, if Celebrity's definition of what their V symbol means may be misinterpreted then why don't they say on their menu what exactly the V means rather than leading it open to misinterpretation. They lead it open to interpretation for their own benefit. Honestly Im furious about the apathy on this thread.

Kevin:

While I appreciate the vigor which you promote your view, the purpose of my post was just to provide the menus Celebrity offers on the Reflection.

I suggest if you wish to "educate" people whose opinions differ from yours that you start your own thread about it.

Thanks.

Ron

I would love to see the menus. :)

Have you looked into Photobucket? It's a great way to post larger photos. Though I do wish that Cruise Critic would upgrade their format so that we could post larger photos direct. Like the website Houzz has.

I had an account. I will upload them there. Apologize for the delay.