Tips for visiting The Big Apple

goldfi8h

Hiya!

We need some more info...such as, how much time, where you are planning to stay ( if you know), budget, what ideas do you already have (as in are there specific things you want to see....)

if you can give us a little more info we can probably get you some good advice. are you comfortable with bus/subway/cabs? walking? how many days will you have?? have you been before?? (if so maybe you saw some things in the past so you'd want to do new things??)

the more info the better....your question is very broad and we all have different interests...i for one am not really into museums but i like to shop and take tours. others may hate shopping.....

NY is a great city and even though i only live an hour away, i don't get up there as much as i would like....there are still things that i haven't done like the statue of liberty and empire state building.....(i love

let us know what's already on your mind....and as for food, what do you like? (itialian, steak, etc)...do you have a budget in mind...(some of the better places are open for lunch and it's a better price....plus there are little places that are NOT the famous ones that may be great values, and better food....)

there are several NYers here that will have lots of info, but the more specific you can get the better info you'll get back...!):D

I used to live in Long Island, and NYC is visited by my 2-3 times per year, since 1977. :)

The list is ENDLESS. So I suggest, you determine- what you wish to see and do, then repost, so specifics on routings can be offered.

In August I did the Crown climb of the Statue of Liberty, which I had not done for 30 years. :) I booked the tickets in Feb, and right now, all are sold out until mid Jan. At the very least, I wouldn't consider anything less than the Pedestal pass. It is very worthwhile.

I agree that more info regarding your interests is definitely needed.

Meanwhile, here are some sites to visit:

http://gonyc.about.com/od/bestofnewyorkcity/tp/topattractions.htm

http://www.nyctourist.com/topten_alltime.htm

http://www.iloveny.com/

http://nymag.com/visitorsguide/sightseeing/citytours.htm

Thanks for your reply megr1125.

This will be our first visit to New York , which we are really looking forward to.

Staying at the New Yorker hotel on 8th ave for 3 days June 2011.

Places we would be interested in visiting ( not in any particular order ) are :- Central Park (John Lennon memorial ), Empire State Building, Rockerfellow Centre, Statue of Liberty, Pay our respect at Ground Zero,Grand Central Station and would welcome any other ideas.

As for for eateries I`m with you on the little places and also 50s /60s Diners. We are meat eaters and enjoy steak.

As for transport we are happy with all modes. What`s the best (as in most economical )way of getting around NYC and from JFK Airport into the City.

Deal us out of the Museums, the only shopping we are likely to do is a souvenier or two.

Kind Regards, Goldfi8h.

Individual subway or bus rides are $2.25 or the MTA offers a 1 day pass for $8.25 or 7 day pass for $27. You can find the maps on their website. There is also info on the MTAs "airtrain" from JFK.

Cabs are also an option, they are very easy to get in NYC, but would be the more expensive option if you were to take a few trips a day. I believe there is a $45 flat fare from JFK to Manhattan.

It's a real "touristy" thing to do but, you could consider one of the double decker bus tours (City Sights or Gray Line.) I really enjoyed it when we had friend visiting and we did it for the first time. I've lived somewhat north of the city all my life and we visit at least monthly but I had never done it before. They have packages for different numbers of days, you can get on and off when you want and you can combine that with some sights if you want. The stops are near the major sights but if you want to go "off the beaten path" you might have a walk. However, it is not cheap transportation. You are paying for the tour. I think it's about $50 for 48 hours.

Thanks for your reply megr1125.

This will be our first visit to New York , which we are really looking forward to.

Staying at the New Yorker hotel on 8th ave for 3 days June 2011.

Places we would be interested in visiting ( not in any particular order ) are :- Central Park (John Lennon memorial ), Empire State Building, Rockerfellow Centre, Statue of Liberty, Pay our respect at Ground Zero,Grand Central Station and would welcome any other ideas.

As for for eateries I`m with you on the little places and also 50s /60s Diners. We are meat eaters and enjoy steak.

As for transport we are happy with all modes. What`s the best (as in most economical )way of getting around NYC and from JFK Airport into the City.

Deal us out of the Museums, the only shopping we are likely to do is a souvenier or two.

Kind Regards, Goldfi8h.

Decide now, if you are interested in the Crown access, of the Statue of Liberty, and if it is open when you are going- it's scheduled to be closed again. If open, get this booked now. I suggest the first morning slot, and getting on the first ferry. you then have the option of Ellis Island, if of interest, since it's the second ferry stop. There is no Lennon memorial, just a mosaic with Imagine in it. You can get a look at the Dakota building and do a very nice walk through central Park. Get the details on their web site, and print out maps. Also some free walking tours available some days.

I like going up the Empire State buildling late at night. Wonderful with the city lights, and less lines. But, going up the Top of the Rock, has timed access, and usually less line waits. Bonus is you get an amazing view of the Empire State Building, that you just do not get going up that building. You can do Rockerfeller Center, Grand Central as fill ins, between the other attractions- I would suggest you add the NYC Library, a couple blocks from Grand Central, and the Chrysler Buildling Lobby.

My favorite couple of tips are to definitely walk the Brooklyn Bridge then take the free Staten Island Ferry at dusk to see the Statue of Liberty.

While it is worth the trouble, unless you are spending a week in New York City, the trip to the Statue of Liberty will take up a lot of time.

Get outside the touristy neighborhoods and walk around.

Go to the rooftop of the Metropolitan Museum of Art after you've done a tour. Get a highlights tour with a docent. Eat lunch with a dirty water dog on the steps and people watch.

If your cruise is leaving from the Manhattan piers, you will pass the Statue of Liberty close by. (So, you might reconsider going there as a separate excursion) June is a wonderful time to visit NYC. If you are going to "Strawberry Fields" in Central Park, you might want to explore the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Just exploring the park, which includes a zoo, with a walk, or rent bicycles. This is where this section of the park is located. Lots of cool shops and sidewalk cafes. Another area you might want to explore is Greenwich Village, SoHo, or Chinatown. If you are arriving JFK it is easy to take the Airtrain to the LIRR which will bring you directly to Penn Station Manhattan. I would divide my time into geographical areas. For example Ground Zero is in lower Manhattan, so you would couple that with visiting the Statue of Liberty or going to Chinatown and/or SoHo. One of those pocket tourist maps will help you greatly. (I use them when visiting Europe:))

As for Ground Zero, the museum near the Burger King is excellent and they do offer tours now. BUT, heading over and walking through the World Financial Center, gives an overlook on the site, along with being an interesting "building", research the marble "trivia".

In the Battery is the Koenig sculpture. I regret now, that I was usually annoyed at having to walk around it, in the WTC concourse, I transited many times.

My husband and I will spend three days in NYC before sailing on the Miracle July 9th for our 15th wedding anniversary. We're staying at Staybridge Suites on 40th and 8th. Any ideas for a nice romantic restaurant? Mostly looking for a fantastic atmosphere where we can enjoy spending time together. He'll be flying in from Iraq and this is our first "Honeymoon" I want it to be special.

Any other ideas would be great. We're hitting Billy Elliot on Broadway on the 6th. Considering the Gray Line and really want to see the Brooklyn Bridge. We love historic buildings and "hidden gems".

Can't wait to hear your ideas!!!

My husband and I will spend three days in NYC before sailing on the Miracle July 9th for our 15th wedding anniversary. We're staying at Staybridge Suites on 40th and 8th. Any ideas for a nice romantic restaurant? Mostly looking for a fantastic atmosphere where we can enjoy spending time together. He'll be flying in from Iraq and this is our first "Honeymoon" I want it to be special.

Any other ideas would be great. We're hitting Billy Elliot on Broadway on the 6th. Considering the Gray Line and really want to see the Brooklyn Bridge. We love historic buildings and "hidden gems".

Can't wait to hear your ideas!!!

I repeatively take out a NYC historic buildings book out of my library. :) See if you can locate one?? NYC is loaded. It's an easy walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, and reading up on the history prior can really enhance your trip. Easy to get to.

We made reservations to go up into the crown and it was the best 3 bucks we spent in NYC last month. As BQ mentioned, it is a good idea to go early and be on the first ferry. It can be 20 degrees warmer in the crown than outside so can get pretty warm, particularly after climbing over 300 stairs. We were a couple of the first up that day and spent quite a bit of time there until others started the climb. There is a park service rep at the top to answer questions and keep people moving.

We also used Big Apple Greeter which is a free service provided by volunteers to provide tours of specific NYC neighborhoods. You can register on their website and request an area of NYC that you’d like to explore with a local. We had a 4 hour tour of Chinatown. Free but donations are accepted on their website. Volunteers to do not accept tips.

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge was really nice and we’d do that again as well as a crown visit. We found the Top of the Rock better than the Empire State Building.

http://picasaweb.google.com/DelRockAlaska/NewYorkCity

I am a huge fan of the Empire State Building, so I would certainly recommend it. Note that there are two observation decks, one on the 86th floor and the other on the 102nd. The one on the 86th is much larger, and you can go outside and walk around all four sides of the building. And, conveniently enough, there's a gift shop right there! :)

You would think that you'd get a better view up on the 102nd floor, but I didn't think so. It's a small, enclosed room, and it really does feel very . . . well, small and enclosed. Being 16 levels higher didn't seem to make any real difference as far as the view was concerned. Personally, I would recommend sticking with the 86th.

You would think that you'd get a better view up on the 102nd floor, but I didn't think so. It's a small, enclosed room, and it really does feel very . . . well, small and enclosed.

The 102nd floor is like being in a submarine; stick to the 86th.

Archived