First Luxury Cruise - What Cruise line?

HappySailing3

My husband and I want to plan a vacation for my 50th b-day and we are ready to venture out and try the luxury market after sailing many times on mass market ships. I would love some suggestions and experiences that you may offer. I would really like to have this cruise be all inclusive (at least tips and alcohol - maybe some shore excursions). I feel I can choose the destination after I can narrow down a cruise line, although we want it to be 7-10 days in the Med, South America or Tahiti (which would probably mean the Paul Gauguin).

Thanks for any help you can offer!

There are a lot of components to choosing a luxury cruise depending on your unique desires and expectations. The Paul Gaugin is leaving Regent soon so we're not sure if it will still be at a luxury level after that. If you want all inclusive you choices are Seabourn, Silversea, Regent and Sea Dream. Sea Dream does mostly 7 day cruises in the Med and Caribbean and is more casual than the other lines, though Regent recently changed its dress code to elegant casual for cruises under 15 days. Regent's ships are larger and carry more passengers though. If you want a smaller more intimate cruise where you really feel connected to your fellow passengers and the crew than Seabourn and Silversea are your best bets. They both sail the Med and South America each year. Personally, my favorite is Seabourn with either its three triplets carrying 200 passengers or the new Odyssey carrying 450. Food, service, ambience are all great.

You might want to consider Crystal as well. They have larger ships than the ones mentioned above (800-950) and have tremendous service. While not technically all inclusive, they are including a "Spend as you wish" on board credit of up to $1000. And you can find TAs that will include gratuitees with your fare. The larger ships make for some excellent entertainment, and my favorite is excellent enrichment programs. And the have a restaurant by Nobu who is the hotest chef in the culinary world.

If smoking on board is a consideration, Regent has the most strict non-smoking policy (no smoking in suites or balconies).

Three of Seabourn's ships are quite small with no balconies. The newest ship carries 450 passengers. The ship is so new that they are still working out the bugs. It will go into drydock sometime next year after which it should be a great ship. It is all-inclusive.

Silversea and Regent are quite similiar with the exception of ship size. Silversea and Regent include airfare on most 2010 itineraries. Regent includes most excursions for 2010. Both include alcohol, tips and most anything that you can think of.

Crystal is almost 4 times larger than Seabourn's three small ships -- twice as large as their new ship. It is also larger than Silversea and Regent. It is also not all-inclusive and has set seating in the main dining room. This is an award winning cruise line -- just quite different than the rest. During recent difficult economic times, they have offered OBC (on board credits) that can be used for tips and alcohol and probably for excursions. This does not make them all-inclusive -- you will need to sign for drinks.

All these cruise lines offer wonderful Med. itineraries.

You mentioned the Paul Gauguin. The PG has been managed by Regent for the past several years but will change hands in January, 2010. You can find out more about them on their website pgcruises.com. From what we have read and heard, it will remain a luxury all-inclusive ship. Actually, this would be my recommendation for a 50th birthday. French Polynesia is absolutely incredible. And, the PG is the best entry level luxury cruise ship (it was our first -- perhaps I'm a bit prejudice).:)

I would also recommend the Paul Gauguin, assuming that the new owners maintain the ambience and standards that have been in place. It's hard to beat French Polynesia for a special birthday or anniversary! You might want to wait and see the reviews coming back this winter.

All my experience is with Regent so far. I'll be experiencing their included excursions in less than six weeks. All-inclusive on shipboard is really great, everything but the spa, internet, drycleaning/laundry service and giftshop. We always feel very pampered.

Happysailing3,

My advice to you is contact a TA who is very experienced in the different luxury cruise lines and get an objective opinion on the plusses and minuses of each. Much of the information you will receive here (including mine) will come from partisan posters who favor one line over another.

• 1 month later...
My husband and I want to plan a vacation for my 50th b-day and we are ready to venture out and try the luxury market after sailing many times on mass market ships. I would love some suggestions and experiences that you may offer. I would really like to have this cruise be all inclusive (at least tips and alcohol - maybe some shore excursions). I feel I can choose the destination after I can narrow down a cruise line, although we want it to be 7-10 days in the Med, South America or Tahiti (which would probably mean the Paul Gauguin).

Thanks for any help you can offer!

My wife and I have cruised on SeaDream and Regent SS Mariner. If you enjoy bit of entertainment onboard, I would suggest Regent over SeaDream. The service is excellent on SeaDream(staffing is 1=1) for total of 100 passengers, but very little entertainment to speak of. Regent does a nice job all around.

• 5 months later...

After looking at the pictures and diagrams of veranda cabins, I assumed all staterooms are too small except the suites so I need to sail on Silversea or Crystal for a good-size stateroom. It also is important to let the steward or butler do my laundry for me. Travel, after all, is partly for taking a break from house chores such as doing the laundry. But I can't get many details about what Silversea offers on its website. Which cruise line has better enrichment programs, shore excursions, food, entertainment, passenger service, swimming pools, shops, furniture, and dress code rules? I don't want to compare ships right now - that comes after I pick a cruise line. FYI, I do like to see people dressed up, but also want to be casual on port days without changing clothes just to eat in a dining room or restaurant. I also want to know which cruise line spends more time in port on a Mediterranean or Western Europe itinerary.

I've been on all the luxury lines, and if cabin size is very important, I recommend Regent. They have, without a doubt, the best cabins at sea. They are huge, even their lowest category cabins, and their verandas are wonderful. Just a hint, Crystal's room diagrams are a bit of a miscue. They don't tell you that when they say the square footage of their cabins, that number includes the square footage of the balcony, so in all honesty, when they say the cabins are 260 sqft, you can say your cabin is actually around 210sqft. To be honest, Crystal's non-suite cabins are basically the same size as the other cruise line's cabins including Silversea and Seabourn. I also think Regent would suit you in terms of dress code. Crystal is the most formal and you really cannot go to the main dining room or their alternate restaurants dressed in what you wore for a full day in port. Crystal doesn't really have a casual alternative for dining at night and their dress code applies to all public areas after 6pm. You don't find Crystal passengers changing into casual clothes (shorts and such) after dinner. Plus, they have three types of clothing codes at night, formal, informal and smart casual. The other lines have gone to just formal and smart casual.

While we all understand the desire to be pampered and not do chores on a cruise, you really cannot ask your butler or room stewardess to do your laundry---sorry, it's just not something that anyone does, not even on a luxury line. Your choices are to do your own if the ship has a laundry or you pay to have the ship's laundry service.

If you're doing a port intensive cruise, I really don't think enrichment plays a big part, as you're in a port nearly every day. If you were doing a cruise with lots of sea days, then Crystal would be the best choice because they do have the best in terms of guest speakers and the like. But if you're on a cruise with just one or two sea days, enrichment is not something you'll really need, even on Crystal. Evening entertainment is better on Crystal, just because they're larger ships and can do bigger shows. Regent also does production shows, but Silversea does not.

From my experience, Seabourn has the best shore excursions I've ever taken, with Silversea and Crystal a close second. Seabourn and Silversea greatly limit the number of passengers on every bus, so you're not herded in huge groups through tour sites. I know you said you crossed Seabourn off the list, but if you look at their two new ships, they are beautiful and have larger cabins and balconies. And, you said you're cruising solo, and like you I wanted the best experience as a solo woman and I found that Seabourn did a fantastic job with solo women passengers. Crystal is also very good for solos. FYI, Crystal attracts quite a few kids in summer, and they have a promotion of kids sail free this summer, so that will bring in even more kids. You'll find very few kids on Seabourn or Silversea.

Every luxury line spends similar amounts of time in ports, with very few overnights. In seven European cruises, the only ports where I have done overnights are Venice, Istanbul and St Petersburg. Cruise ships tend not to do overnights due to cost and increased port charges. You'll probably stay later in ports for Florence and Rome, but not overnight.

None of the luxury lines have a lot of shops, definitely not like a mass market ship. You'll be lucky to find one shop that sells your basics and a jewelry shop---that's about it. And, for the record, I've been on 64 cruises, if that means anything, and most of those have been done as a solo cruiser. We solos have to stick together.

Just want to add that Silversea's new ship, the Spirit, and Seabourn's Odyssey and soon to be launched Sojourn, have suites just about equal to Regent. The older Seabourn ships have very small suites and are very small ships.

Hate to correct you Travelcat2 but the older Seabourn ships do not have very small suites. They are 277 sq. ft., larger than the Mariner and only slightly smaller than Voyager (I'm talking just interior space) In fact, because they do not waste a lot of space on a corridor when entering you have much more usable space and the suites are wider. The ships are, however, as you say, small.

Activetraveler,

Why don't you ask all these questions of a qualified, knowledgeable TA?

Happysailing3,

My advice to you is contact a TA who is very experienced in the different luxury cruise lines and get an objective opinion on the plusses and minuses of each. Much of the information you will receive here (including mine) will come from partisan posters who favor one line over another.

I am curious why you repeatedly suggest that people contact TA's for information. Most of them don't cruise nearly as often as the cruisers they represent, and then most of them do fams, not long, luxurious cruises. Yes, there are exceptions, but that's true for most TA's.

I contact TA's when it is time to book (for one line) or when it is time to transfer a booking (most lines) and sometimes I don't use a TA at all (short, last minute cruises with deep discounts.

But I don't go to TA's to get information.

Most TA's get in the way of experienced cruisers.

Sorry if you are a TA. Are you?

Hate to correct you Travelcat2 but the older Seabourn ships do not have very small suites. They are 277 sq. ft., larger than the Mariner and only slightly smaller than Voyager (I'm talking just interior space) In fact, because they do not waste a lot of space on a corridor when entering you have much more usable space and the suites are wider. The ships are, however, as you say, small.

Activetraveler,

Why don't you ask all these questions of a qualified, knowledgeable TA?

I stand by my original statement -- Seabourn suites are not only smaller than Regent, they do not have a balcony.

Gillianrose: Completely agree with you!

I've been on all the luxury lines, and if cabin size is very important, I recommend Regent. They have, without a doubt, the best cabins at sea. They are huge, even their lowest category cabins, and their verandas are wonderful. Just a hint, Crystal's room diagrams are a bit of a miscue. They don't tell you that when they say the square footage of their cabins, that number includes the square footage of the balcony, so in all honesty, when they say the cabins are 260 sqft, you can say your cabin is actually around 210sqft. To be honest, Crystal's non-suite cabins are basically the same size as the other cruise line's cabins including Silversea and Seabourn. I also think Regent would suit you in terms of dress code. Crystal is the most formal and you really cannot go to the main dining room or their alternate restaurants dressed in what you wore for a full day in port. Crystal doesn't really have a casual alternative for dining at night and their dress code applies to all public areas after 6pm. You don't find Crystal passengers changing into casual clothes (shorts and such) after dinner. Plus, they have three types of clothing codes at night, formal, informal and smart casual. The other lines have gone to just formal and smart casual.

While we all understand the desire to be pampered and not do chores on a cruise, you really cannot ask your butler or room stewardess to do your laundry---sorry, it's just not something that anyone does, not even on a luxury line. Your choices are to do your own if the ship has a laundry or you pay to have the ship's laundry service.

If you're doing a port intensive cruise, I really don't think enrichment plays a big part, as you're in a port nearly every day. If you were doing a cruise with lots of sea days, then Crystal would be the best choice because they do have the best in terms of guest speakers and the like. But if you're on a cruise with just one or two sea days, enrichment is not something you'll really need, even on Crystal. Evening entertainment is better on Crystal, just because they're larger ships and can do bigger shows. Regent also does production shows, but Silversea does not.

From my experience, Seabourn has the best shore excursions I've ever taken, with Silversea and Crystal a close second. Seabourn and Silversea greatly limit the number of passengers on every bus, so you're not herded in huge groups through tour sites. I know you said you crossed Seabourn off the list, but if you look at their two new ships, they are beautiful and have larger cabins and balconies. And, you said you're cruising solo, and like you I wanted the best experience as a solo woman and I found that Seabourn did a fantastic job with solo women passengers. Crystal is also very good for solos. FYI, Crystal attracts quite a few kids in summer, and they have a promotion of kids sail free this summer, so that will bring in even more kids. You'll find very few kids on Seabourn or Silversea.

Every luxury line spends similar amounts of time in ports, with very few overnights. In seven European cruises, the only ports where I have done overnights are Venice, Istanbul and St Petersburg. Cruise ships tend not to do overnights due to cost and increased port charges. You'll probably stay later in ports for Florence and Rome, but not overnight.

None of the luxury lines have a lot of shops, definitely not like a mass market ship. You'll be lucky to find one shop that sells your basics and a jewelry shop---that's about it. And, for the record, I've been on 64 cruises, if that means anything, and most of those have been done as a solo cruiser. We solos have to stick together.

kitty9

What a wonderful summery,most helpful to a first timer..... Thank You:)

Gary.

On the subject of laundry, I know that Windstar have a laundry package where you pay $99 for a couple, and I think $49 for solo travellers, and all your laundry is done for you each night and returned the next day, so you can go home with most of your laundry done, and you can also pack less. Don't the other lines do this?

On the subject of laundry, I know that Windstar have a laundry package where you pay $99 for a couple, and I think $49 for solo travellers, and all your laundry is done for you each night and returned the next day, so you can go home with most of your laundry done, and you can also pack less. Don't the other lines do this?

Unfortunately, no:o

Travelcat2,

Exactly how large is the interior of the Mariner suites if they are 300 sq. ft. including balcony? They can't be larger than 250 sq. ft. as opposed to 277 for the Seabourn triplets. On the Voyager the suites are about 290 sq. ft of interior space so thirteen sq. ft. larger. I would hardly then characterize the Seabourn suites as small compared to Regent's. I continue to disagree with you on that.

Gillianrose,

If you read my posts I say contact an "EXPERIENCED" TA. One who is completely familiar with luxury lines. That way you will receive unbiased advice from someone who is indeed familiar with ALL the luxury lines and not biased advice from people who want you to drink their kool-aid and sail with the line they prefer.

Travelcat2,

Exactly how large is the interior of the Mariner suites if they are 300 sq. ft. including balcony? They can't be larger than 250 sq. ft. as opposed to 277 for the Seabourn triplets. On the Voyager the suites are about 290 sq. ft of interior space so thirteen sq. ft. larger. I would hardly then characterize the Seabourn suites as small compared to Regent's. I continue to disagree with you on that.

Gillianrose,

If you read my posts I say contact an "EXPERIENCED" TA. One who is completely familiar with luxury lines. That way you will receive unbiased advice from someone who is indeed familiar with ALL the luxury lines and not biased advice from people who want you to drink their kool-aid and sail with the line they prefer.

Hi again. Sorry, but even some TA's who are in the top five of booking agencies for several luxury lines (including their most experienced agents), often (usually) don't know the answers to questions I have, and I find I can locate specials that they are too overwhelmed to sort out (I am more targeted to my own needs than they are to my needs), and I don't get the absolutely latest news until they have digested it first. That is often too late.

Would you mind answering an earlier question: are YOU a travel agent or have some connection to a travel agency or consortium?

There is no rule that disallows you from admitting that. You just can't advertise it.

You see, I don't think travel agents, regardless of their experiences, are less biased than anyone else and they may be more biased. Also, if they get a special perk for selling, let's say, 10 cabins on a particular line and they are close to that goal and they like the line but maybe it is not the very best one for me, they may steer me towards that cruise. They may have a group cruise they want you to book. There are lots of incentives out there for agencies.

Maybe they want to be in the top ten booking agencies for a particular line and their boss has said, if anyone is on the fence regarding line A or line B, push line B because that is what is best for our agency. They won't push a Carnival booker to Crystal, but they may try to push a Regent or Oceania or Seabourn cruiser there or someone else. Stupid statements like "you get what you pay for" and all that blah, blah, blah...

Sorry, choices are up to me.

Wripro, you are correct. The Seabourn triplets do have very nice suites. They start at 270 square feet as you correctly note. While those suites do not have verandahs one can be outside on deck in the matter of one minute given the size of the ship. Yes, the triplets are small and they are not for everyone but they are quite unique and provide a nice luxurious experience.

I agree that many of the good TA's can add a lot of value. I have found that most of the good TA's do not push one luxury cruise line over the other. The good ones do a fair amount of volume with many of the luxury lines and the good ones are a good source of information.

Yes, I found that for mass market lines some agencies push a particular line but in general most of the high end agencies who deal with luxury lines provide good solid information on each of them.

Keith

Once again gillianrose - BRAVO! Thie TOP luxury TA's absolutely have a their preferred luxury line. If you think otherwise, your head may be stuck in the sand.

Wripro: Okay -- I am NOT talking aboiut the Mariner. My point is that the "triplets" are VERY small. How can you compare a ship with 209 total passengers with ships that hoild 490 - 700? Everyone knows that you do not care for Regent. That's fine and is your preference. It isn't like I called Seabourn a poor cruise line. I simply iindicated that the suites on the newer ships are larger. Give me a break. BTW, did you notice that this thread is quite old. Do you really think the OP is still reading this?

Nitpicking on CC should be banned! JMHO!

Once again gillianrose - BRAVO! Thie TOP luxury TA's absolutely have a their preferred luxury line. If you think otherwise, your head may be stuck in the sand.

Wripro: Okay -- I am NOT talking aboiut the Mariner. My point is that the "triplets" are VERY small. How can you compare a ship with 209 total passengers with ships that hoild 490 - 700? Everyone knows that you do not care for Regent. That's fine and is your preference. It isn't like I called Seabourn a poor cruise line. I simply iindicated that the suites on the newer ships are larger. Give me a break. BTW, did you notice that this thread is quite old. Do you really think the OP is still reading this?

Nitpicking on CC should be banned! JMHO!

The TA's that I have spoken with over the years on land and who we have met on the cruise ship have not pushed one line over the other. Sure, like us they may have their favorites but those who I have spoken with who are top sellers of luxury cruise lines sell them equally.

Yes, like any profession there are some who are better than others and some who do not have the best interests of their clients in mind. But, in general, the majority do a nice job. Sorry you feel otherwise.

Keith

The TA's that I have spoken with over the years on land and who we have met on the cruise ship have not pushed one line over the other. Sure, like us they may have their favorites but those who I have spoken with who are top sellers of luxury cruise lines sell them equally.

Yes, like any profession there are some who are better than others and some who do not have the best interests of their clients in mind. But, in general, the majority do a nice job. Sorry you feel otherwise.

Keith

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I feel that I have the greatest TA on earth (and have had others). They would never push a particular cruise line and always have the best interest of the client in mind. When I booked a cruise while on board a Regent ship, the Cruise Consultant told us that this company booked more on Regent than any other TA. It was fairly easy to tell that Regent was a favored line. Another TA goes on cruise boards and advertises himself as a specialist of some type on Seabourn. IMO, preferring a particular cruise line and, perhaps being able to get additional perks through them (OBCs for instance) isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Actually, this thread is getting way off subject. One upon a time the OP was interested in luxury lines. I seriously doubt if they are still around checking this thread.:confused:

Hi Keith,

Good to have you back. I will answer your email in the next day or so.

The suites on the Seabourn triplets are among the most comfortable I have ever sailed on. True, there are no balconies but if we are talking size the measure up to any other ship out there.

The point I was trying to make about TAs is that the right one should know all these answers. If he/she doesn't find one who does. That way you'll get knowledge instead of opinions.

Why don't you ask all these questions to a qualified, knowledgeable TA?

I have two very good reasons for that:

1. A travel agent is not accessible 24/7, but a message board is.

2. I have to pay a travel agent, but the message boards are free.

It also is important to note I do plan to hire a travel agent to book the cruise and ask all kinds of questoins about cruising in general I can't find answers to anywhere else. But I will not ask a travel agent questions that already have been answered on the Internet at no extra cost.

Archived