Gibralter Excursions.

slhw

There are the ship's excursions of course, but you might find it better, and cheaper to do your own thing.

There will be plenty of local taxis either as you leave the cruise terminal, or walk along to the main square.

For a fixed fee, about £70 they will take you and your party up the rock where you can pay to enter the Caves. Very interesting and worthwhile. You taxi will wait and even take you further up the rock if you so wish. Larger tour buses are not permitted further up, so a taxi is actually the best option.

Good luck.

Stewart

Hi!

There a are a lot of great tips left from other passengers and placed under the "Destinations", which you can find when you click on on the research button (right next to the CruiseCritic logo). Look for 'Gribraltar' and info will be provided. Depending on your budget, interest and time frame, there are plenty of choices. :):)Enjoy!

here is a link as well:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=144

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/shore-excursions/excursion/953/

Hi

In March I emailed Carl Mesilio (Gibraltar Inside Out Rock Tours) as this company has a Certificate of excellence on Trip Advisor. At the time he did have availability that day.

He advised that The Standard Tour consisting of four stops takes 1.5 hours which include Pillars of Hercules, St Michaels Cave, Top of the Rock with Interaction with the Apes and Great Siege Tunnels. However, the price goes from £85.00 each for 2 people down to £25.00 if there is 8 people. He also gave prices for 7,6,5,4 and 3 people.

He also does The Extended tour which takes approximately 2.30 hours this consists of 6 stops which include Europa Point, 100 Tonne Gun, St Michaels Cave, top of the Rock with interaction with the apes, Great Siege Tunnels and Moorish Castle as we drive down towards the old Town of Gibraltar. This starts at £145.00 per person if there are only 2 people, but reduced to £40.00 per person if there are 8.

Finally there is theThe intermediate tour takes approximately 3.30 hours this consists of 7 stops which includes 100 Tonne Gun, Europa Point, The Pillars of Hercules, St Michaels Cave, Interaction with our Rock Apes, the Great Siege tunnels and The Moorish Castle. After visiting sights I would then drive down through the old town and would also drive over the airport runway towards the Spanish border just meters away from Spain you will even see Spanish Customs at work, on this excursion we get to drive 360 degrees (east/south side) around Gibraltar so you don’t get to miss out on anything. This starts at £205 per person for 2 people down to £55.00 for 8

I did not book anything as I did not know anyone else on the cruise and felt that it was not cost effective booking for just the 2 of us and I was also advised that there would be plenty of local taxis. This does give you an idea of possible trips on offer though and i would be willing to do this trip if others were interested.

Thank you that is really useful to know

The only slightly bad part of these taxis is that they want to fill up their vehicle so you might be sitting there for awhile. Also, at least in the ones I saw, they had bench style seating, not the best for someone who might have difficulty getting into a small van. But I agree they can be a tremendous value as long as you don't mind waiting a bit for them to get a full load.