Cruise from sydney to Melb, Tassie and Adelaide via Bass Straight

Hi, I’m looking at going on the Norwegian Jewel in December2017, Sydney to Eden, Tassie, Melbourne, kangaroo Island and Adelaide. I love the itinerary but am a bit nervous because the Cruise crosses Bass strait, twice (ie both ways)

I would value any thoughts

Thanks

Hi, I’m looking at going on the Norwegian Jewel in December2017, Sydney to Eden, Tassie, Melbourne, kangaroo Island and Adelaide. I love the itinerary but am a bit nervous because the Cruise crosses Bass strait, twice(ie both ways)

Thanks

have you cruised to NZ before because that can be just as bad but i wouldnt worry about a thing if you go prepared with sea sick pills and if its rough the captain will slow down to give you a smooth ride

Hi, I’m looking at going on the Norwegian Jewel in December2017, Sydney to Eden, Tassie, Melbourne, kangaroo Island and Adelaide. I love the itinerary but am a bit nervous because the Cruise crosses Bass strait, twice(ie both ways)

Thanks

Don't go that way then :D

Hi, thanks for reply, I did Sydney to Hobart with RCL's Ovation earlier this year, where the boat when down the side of Tassie and I was fine (with tablets).

However I am not sure whether this cruise from Sydney to Adelaide would feel the same as in this case the boat is actually passing through Bass Straight, in between Vic and Tassie, rather than just going down the side

Also the Norwegian Jewel is somewhat smaller than the Ovation!

I have however reserved a mid-ship Balcony cabin

Thanks

I'm doing it, but then Tassie ismy go to cruise, last crossing, this month, was as smooth as, in fact December was pretty good too.

Have you seen that the itinerary has changed?

When we went to Tassie from Sydney in January it was really rough one way (but not unpleasant) and smooth on the return, however at that time we just cruised beside Tassie going down from Sydney, whereas for this cruise it goes in between Tassie and the mainland horizontally across to Adelaide, then back again. I don't know enough about cruising to know if that would be rockier than going straight down or not? I did ring Norwegian Line and the girl told me that December is the first time Norwegian Jewel has done this voyage

Realistically the seas will be what the seas will be. If you really want to do that cruise just make sure you have seasickness meds and take it as it comes. You've coped with one rough passage so you're not a novice. Also the Captain will endeavour to make the trip as comfortable as possible for passengers. Don't overthing the potential sea conditions, just look forward to an interesting cruise.

When we went to Tassie from Sydney in January it was really rough one way (but not unpleasant) and smooth on the return, however at that time we just cruised beside Tassie going down from Sydney, whereas for this cruise it goes in between Tassie and the mainland horizontally across to Adelaide, then back again. I don't know enough about cruising to know if that would be rockier than going straight down or not? I did ring Norwegian Line and the girl told me that December is the first time Norwegian Jewel has done this voyage

I've done more crossings than I can count, big cruise ships (Emerald Princess probably the biggest) small cruise ships (Pacific Princess the smallest) ocean Liner, Spirit of Tasmania, I've transversed it a few times, similar range of sizes, I havemates who sail Sydney to Hobart Yacht race nearly every year, the one thing. Can tell you is there is no way to predict what you'll get when.

Most of our crossings have been in the week or two leading up to Christmas.

We've had it about as flat as possible and so rough they've had to cancel all the floor shows.

It really is the luck of the draw.

Been through Bass Strait to or from Melbourne, Adelaide, Fremantle as well as along the east coast of Tas many times. From Volendam size to Ovation.

Last time in February on Ovation we cruised quite smoothly down the east coast. We were to go up the west coast to Adelaide. But because of the predicted 8m or so swells the Captain changed the itinerary to make the cruise more comfortable for all aboard. We returned up the east coast and through the Bass St. Still a bit rough overnight but ok.

A few times we've had a bit of chop and swell but only lasting a few hours.

The Captain will always choose the safest way and most of these cruiseships are very stable in a bit of rough seas.

Be prepared just in case with some sea sick remedy.

Looking to go again next year.

By the way we loved Kangaroo Island a few years ago.