Pics of Amsterdam Drydocked in SF

tbears

I wouldn't bet on it.

Zaandam was in drydock here in SF last January, and two weeks post-drydock she looked like nothing had been done at all.

no kidding? well go figure ... oh well we are still looking forward to being on the HAL "flagship" for a couple weeks.

Gary: There will be visible results: new carpeting is being laid and furnishings are being replaced or recovered as part of this dry-dock. They were already crating some of the old furniture the last night of our cruise, which ended 12/14. Enjoy your adventure on a great ship with a great crew.

From the photos one can see that the lifeboats must be getting spruced up as well.

I spoke with one contractor last week who was in charge of repairing and/or replacing leather seats onboard. Apparently the chemicals used to combat Norovirus are very harmful to leather.

David

Having seen the ship in October 2009 and again in May 2010 I saw quite a bit that had been done. So sorry your experience was not the same

Then she must have been a real fright before the drydock...

Yes, there were new chairs in the MDR and new (very poorly laid) carpets in certain corridors, but there was also major rust all over the hull and superstructure, frayed fabrics on chairs in several public rooms, broken and damaged artwork (the marble sculptures outside the Sports Bar were held together w/ rope) burnt out lightbulbs in the MDR and Lido, malfunctioning clocks all over the ship, torn upholstery and scuffed floors in the Lido, the decorative appliques on the bulkheads surrounding the Magrodome opening were peeling away, the round wooden tables near the Lido Bar had chipped and peeling varnish, etc.

When I asked the HM about the poor condition of the ship, the response was something along the lines of "Environmental Prohibitions"

:confused:

Archived