Beach Club for Young Family

projectx

Stopping in Cozumel in March with my wife and three kids, ages 8, 5, and 5. Would like to settle in at a beach club that offers good food, a nice clean beach with soft sand, and an area with good snorkeling that doesn't require a long boat ride or swim to get to. Our 8 year old uses a snorkel well but the twins haven't figured it out. So... if it doesn't work out for them they can play on the beach with a parent.

I'd also like a place with some water obstacle courses and jet skis available, but getting all that under one roof may be difficult. Anyway, it appears that Chankanaab lacks the water toys but is our best bet overall for our main priorities. Any place else I might be missing?

No sandy beach will offer great snorkeling - the sand/waves cloud the water and there are no rocks/reefs for the little fish to thrive in.

Chankanaab offers a small beach and separate snorkel area with good conditions, lots of fish, and some submerged statues, etc., plus sea lion shows, dolphins, etc. Admission fee is about $20 per adult (check for on line coupons) and the cab ride for 4 should be about $11 each way.

Mr Sanchos is only 15 minute cab ride from port. Has everything you want. We go to nacho cocum down the beach but that is really not for kids.

Everything I've read says the snorkeling at Mr Sanchos is weak, unless you take a long tour out to the reef.

No sandy beach will offer great snorkeling - the sand/waves cloud the water and there are no rocks/reefs for the little fish to thrive in.

Chankanaab offers a small beach and separate snorkel area with good conditions, lots of fish, and some submerged statues, etc., plus sea lion shows, dolphins, etc. Admission fee is about $20 per adult (check for on line coupons) and the cab ride for 4 should be about $11 each way.

As I understood it Chankanaab offered both a sandy beach area and a rocky area that's great for snorkeling. Now that I look closer at a map, that sandy beach area that enters the ocean is pretty small; 90% of the beach is right up against a a rock wall of some type and then the ocean.

I'm hoping for an area similar to Coki Beach in St Thomas. Soft sand beach that gradually enters the water, with a bit of a rocky area off to the side that had some good snorkeling. Granted this was in a bay which probably contributed to the calm waters that allow this combination.

We are very fond of Playa Mia. I appreciate that it has a very nice pool, including a cool kids pool area. If the seas aren't great I like knowing that there is a good option. The buffet is not great, but if you don't choose the all inclusive option the food on the a la carte menu is excellent. The beach is a clean and soft as beaches in that area of Mexico get. The cost for a taxi is about $20 each way (that included a couple dollar tip).

We are very fond of Playa Mia. I appreciate that it has a very nice pool, including a cool kids pool area. If the seas aren't great I like knowing that there is a good option. The buffet is not great, but if you don't choose the all inclusive option the food on the a la carte menu is excellent. The beach is a clean and soft as beaches in that area of Mexico get. The cost for a taxi is about $20 each way (that included a couple dollar tip).

Thanks for your input. We had this in our plans but the mixed reviews lately caused me to rethink it. Our young kids prefer rough water so no worries in that front. How's the snorkeling there?

I had booked the all inclusive through RCCL but ended up cancelling it. After looking at all the options it looked like the price was hiked way too high. Plus we're not big drinkers so no benefit there.

Thanks for your input. We had this in our plans but the mixed reviews lately caused me to rethink it. Our young kids prefer rough water so no worries in that front. How's the snorkeling there?

I had booked the all inclusive through RCCL but ended up cancelling it. After looking at all the options it looked like the price was hiked way too high. Plus we're not big drinkers so no benefit there.

No beach club with a sandy beach will offer great snorkeling - the sand/waves cloud the water and there are no rocks/reefs for the little fish to thrive in.

You might look at Paradise Beach - about $17 each way in a taxi (fare covers up to 4 passengers) - $3 admission fee/chair rental, great facilities including lockers, HUGS pool and the food, drinks and service are good. If you are looking for a non-AI option that is family friendly, this is a great choice. :D

Is it easy to get a taxi from Paradise Beach back to the port? Are the taxis waiting at the resort or does the staff call for taxis?

Cabs will be lined up in the afternoon ready to take cruisers back to their ships. If one is not ready, or you need a van taxi for your group, a staff member will call one - never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes.

Have a great cruise! :D

• 1 month later...

Seeing mixed comments about the Paradise Beach. Some say the beach is nice but too rocky once you hit the water, others say there are plenty of areas with sandy entry. Any tips on where to set up camp for the best area of the beach? Kids will want to be on the water toys, but we could care less about the pool... we can swim in a pool anywhere. Although we won't be arriving until around 10:30, so not sure how much choice we'll have.

Do you need water shoes here or is it easy enough to get by without them?