Hundreds missing on Chinese River Cruise

rockfsh

BEIJING — Most of the 458 people aboard a chartered cruise ship in China were still missing on Tuesday morning, more than a dozen hours after the vessel sank during a torrential rainstorm along the central Yangtze River, according to a report by Xinhua, the state news agency.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/world/asia/ship-reported-sunk-in-chinas-yangtze.html?_r=0

We'll be taking the Yangtze cruise in October. Thankfully this wasn't our ship that sank today, and we're hoping we won't have any tornadoes when we sail!:eek: Our heart goes out to all the families involved in this tragedy, and hopefully more passengers will be rescued.

...and we're hoping we won't have any tornadoes when we sail!:eek:

I believe that the word the Chinese use that is translated as 'tornado' is not as tightly defined as we would understand it and an actual tornado was most likely not involved in this accident.

Very sad.

As someone who has been on two Yangtze cruises, I can certainly see how this could happen. The river is crowded and a lot of the ships/boats look as if they are barely sea worthy.

Boarding night on the second Yantgze cruise with the ship docked in Chongquing, I was outside watching all the river traffic. I was astounded at the haphazard way Captains were running the CHINESE boats-not to be confused with the joint venture Western/Chinese boats Western tourists use to cruise the Yantgze. The boat in the article that capsized was definitely CHINESE. And was having financial problems. In addition, that night in Chongquing, one of the CHINESE boats pulled alongside our boat. What a piece of crap. Looked like a lot of those junks cruising the Mekong in Vietnam which are neither safe from a structural standpoint nor mechanically worthy.

Very few safety rules and very lax oversight in Asia. Boats capsized/run aground/out of commission on the Yangtze are just a fact of life in China. If you take the cruise, you will see at least a couple between Chongqing and Three Gorges and there are a couple more between Three Gorges and Wuhan.

I believe that the word the Chinese use that is translated as 'tornado' is not as tightly defined as we would understand it and an actual tornado was most likely not involved in this accident.

OMG....what a terrible tragedy....it might have been a waterspout...they have been known to form on rivers in China and while they don't do the extensive damage land tornadoes do, they can be very dangerous to ships and can come ashore, like the one in Ft. Lauderdale last week. My hearts go out to all who were on board or knew people who were. Very sad.

Here is the latest account:

BEIJING, June 2 (Xinhua) -- Meteorologists on Tuesday confirmed that a sudden, strong and violent storm did occur at a section of China's Yangtze River where a cruise ship carrying 456 people sank on Monday night.

The tornado-like wind, measuring more than 12 on the Beaufort scale, lasted about 15 to 20 minutes, and centered on the Yangtze River, when the ship was struck and capsized at around 9:28 p.m. Monday near Jianli, Hubei Province, according to experts with the China Meteorological Administration (CMA).

The experts arrived at the scene on Tuesday morning. They analyzed meteorological data and conducted on-site investigations.

As of 6 p.m. Tuesday, 14 people had been rescued from the capsized vessel, with five others confirmed dead, according to Yang Chuantang, minister of transport.

Here is the latest account:

BEIJING, June 2 (Xinhua) -- Meteorologists on Tuesday confirmed that a sudden, strong and violent storm did occur at a section of China's Yangtze River where a cruise ship carrying 456 people sank on Monday night.

The tornado-like wind, measuring more than 12 on the Beaufort scale, lasted about 15 to 20 minutes, and centered on the Yangtze River, when the ship was struck and capsized at around 9:28 p.m. Monday near Jianli, Hubei Province, according to experts with the China Meteorological Administration (CMA).

The experts arrived at the scene on Tuesday morning. They analyzed meteorological data and conducted on-site investigations.

As of 6 p.m. Tuesday, 14 people had been rescued from the capsized vessel, with five others confirmed dead, according to Yang Chuantang, minister of transport.

That's hurricane strength wind! For 15-20 minutes, these poor people never had a chance.

Current as of 2 hours ago. The link contains a video. Very sad indeed!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-32969861

"Officials say at least 15 people survived, with some found alive inside the submerged hull of the Eastern Star.

The captain and the chief engineer, who both survived, have been detained. They say the boat, which sent no emergency signal, was caught in a cyclone.

The rescue is continuing into the night but is being hampered by bad weather.

Chinese media quoted the captain as saying the vessel sank within minutes, while many people were asleep. BBC weather forecaster Peter Gibbs says there were severe thunderstorms in the area.

Most of those on board were tourists aged between 50 and 80 travelling from the eastern city of Nanjing to Chongqing in the south-west - a journey of at least 1,500km (930 miles).

The ship sank in the Damazhou waterway section of the Yangtze, where the world's third longest river reaches depths of about 15m (50ft)."

Edited by JimAOk1945

We've also been following the tragic capsizing of the Yangtze river ship and our hearts go out to all affected. Appreciate your insights into your own experiences as well.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

How did both the Captain and Chief Engineer survive?

I would imagine because they were awake, on duty and very close to an exit from the bridge.

With everyone else below decks and a rapid sinking it wouldn't be hard to imagine the sort of losses that seem to be being reported.

Yes, good question.

Also, curious how other river cruise lines, like Uniworld, AMA, handled the evening of bad weather?

All the ships are Chinese, none of the western companies have their own ships on the Yangtze. They either charter an entire ship or part of the better ships with balcony cabins. We saw some passengers ships that I would not have liked. We were docked next to them and saw extremely tight quarters through the windows. I don't think any of the western companies would put their passengers on such a ship.

I would imagine because they were awake, on duty and very close to an exit from the bridge.

With everyone else below decks and a rapid sinking it wouldn't be hard to imagine the sort of losses that seem to be being reported.

Thanks for responding....I was about to say the same thing when I saw your post. Probably whomever was on duty when it happened had a fair chance of surviving by virtue of their being awake, alert and more than likely able to swim and/or don life jackets. The people in their cabins, mostly elderly from what I read, were probably asleep and had very little warning. Cyclones usually give very little warning and nothing anyone could have done prior to capsize would have helped. Sometimes it's just nobody's fault and we have to accept that as hard as that is.

On Viking Imperial Jewels of China starting 6/14. Have any of the Western cruise lines that sail on the Yangtze made a statement about the disaster? What is the policy on sailing during bad weather? Do they even GET weather reports? Statistically, it is unlikely to happen again so soon, but still...

Any word from passengers on the river now? Based on the Costa sinking, and how long it was there (2 yrs.???) I fear we are going to actually see the wreckage. So incredibly sad for those people and their families....

Remembering that none of the 'Western' cruise lines own any ships in China and don't as far as I know, use any ships from the line involved in this, I don't think you are going to see very much of a statement from them regarding this particular incident.

It is going to be a little while before anything much is known about exactly what happened and even when it is known there is no guarantee that all details will be made public.

One of the options you will have when onboard is a chance to visit the bridge and meet with the Captain and bridge crew.

I'd suggest you do that as it certainly appeared to me that the officers and crew were professional, experienced on the river and had a well equipped bridge. They have no reason to take unnecessary risks and so I'd still happily rely on their judgement when it came to weather impacting on sailing.

Mark, thanks for your reply. I'm aware that all the ships are Chinese (gov't?) owned. I'm just not sure if they all have the same safety policies about sailing when there are dangerous weather conditions.

Do they stick to a strict schedule, or take the safe option and put up with the complaints later? (Thinking about all the European river whiners when water levels are too high/low.)

My TA e-mailed us and said Viking was going to have a statement "soon". I think everyone is going to pay attention during the safety drills this time!

Mark, thanks for your reply. I'm aware that all the ships are Chinese (gov't?) owned. I'm just not sure if they all have the same safety policies about sailing when there are dangerous weather conditions.

Do they stick to a strict schedule, or take the safe option and put up with the complaints later? (Thinking about all the European river whiners when water levels are too high/low.)

My TA e-mailed us and said Viking was going to have a statement "soon". I think everyone is going to pay attention during the safety drills this time!

I would bet that all of the companies marketing China to the US and Europe are leasing ships with more than competent crews and safety records. Not to minimize this tragedy in any way but the passengers on board were mostly Chinese citizens. I think any ship carrying Americans or Europeans has to meet stricter standards than one carrying locals. It' the same with the airlines...all airlines that land in the US have to conform to certain safety regulations which they might not have to meet when flying domestically. I do agree that everyone will show up at attention during the safety drill....and it won't be treated as a form of entertainment.

Thanks Hydro! That's what I'm thinking too... You can't plan for natural disasters. I've NEVER been a worrier about travel until recently. The Paris attack happened a year to the day that we were in Paris. I didn't even give it a second thought when we were running around in El Salvador, until my friend's husband said "You guys can't go out without the driver/bodyguard. I don't want to get that call!"

I guess when your number is up, it is up & enjoy it while you can. Earthquakes, volcanos, tsunamis, terrorists, ad infinitum, MUST STOP FREAKING OUT NOW! Especially since travel is my favorite thing....

Thanks Hydro! That's what I'm thinking too... You can't plan for natural disasters. I've NEVER been a worrier about travel until recently. The Paris attack happened a year to the day that we were in Paris. I didn't even give it a second thought when we were running around in El Salvador, until my friend's husband said "You guys can't go out without the driver/bodyguard. I don't want to get that call!"

I guess when your number is up, it is up & enjoy it while you can. Earthquakes, volcanos, tsunamis, terrorists, ad infinitum, MUST STOP FREAKING OUT NOW! Especially since travel is my favorite thing....

C'mon Cruzersky2...get a grip!!! :D You could cancel all your travel plans today and break your neck going up the stairs to bed tonight!! :eek: As a matter of fact, I'm leaving tomorrow morning and I'm flying out of "drone central" airport in NYC!!! We were in Egypt a year before the Arab Spring. We were in Kiev a year before the Russian annexation. We could see the smoke from the twin towers....but I wouldn't give back Egypt or Ukraine for anything...and I love going into NYC....but I won't ride the subway....nobody's perfect.:D

I know, Hydro... after a good night's sleep, I'll be OK :) As an aside, I have Six Degrees of Separation to the TWO American killed by LIONS! All can say is YOLO!

But I lived in NYC for 15 yrs. and was never afraid. Yes, I was groped, crowded, robbed, but, strangely, never afraid... (Very sad after 9/11 since I knew all those floors - but that is for another website...)

Oh well, I'll keep travelling and enjoy the world!

Thanks for screwing by head back on :) Now I can worry about getting 2 weeks of luggage under 40 lbs., and tipping :)

I know, Hydro... after a good night's sleep, I'll be OK :) As an aside, I have Six Degrees of Separation to the TWO American killed by LIONS! All can say is YOLO!

But I lived in NYC for 15 yrs. and was never afraid. Yes, I was groped, crowded, robbed, but, strangely, never afraid... (Very sad after 9/11 since I knew all those floors - but that is for another website...)

Oh well, I'll keep travelling and enjoy the world!

Thanks for screwing by head back on :) Now I can worry about getting 2 weeks of luggage under 40 lbs., and tipping :)

I feel your pain....just finished packing. DH swears reason I insist on flying business class is so I can bring more stuff without paying for it! :D

What we've been told is that the cruise lines that market globally adhere to rules and restrictions set by the Chinese government -- and also to more advanced policies, same as riverboats that sail in European waters. Another thing is to look at the age of the ship. The government released more stringent regulations in 2002 so any ship built after should be safer. The Eastern Star was built in 1994.

Carolyn

I would bet that all of the companies marketing China to the US and Europe are leasing ships with more than competent crews and safety records. Not to minimize this tragedy in any way but the passengers on board were mostly Chinese citizens. I think any ship carrying Americans or Europeans has to meet stricter standards than one carrying locals. It' the same with the airlines...all airlines that land in the US have to conform to certain safety regulations which they might not have to meet when flying domestically. I do agree that everyone will show up at attention during the safety drill....and it won't be treated as a form of entertainment.