No excursion, just walking around the port/town area near the ship. Whats there?

lucywestie

If you're docked away from downtown, you can easily take a taxi for roughly $8 to downtown. There are numerous shops and restaurants downtown. This is often what we do, our favorite restaurant Casa Denis is located off the main square. We then wander in and out of the shops for awhile. Highly recommend getting off the main road as there are lots of little neat markets in the streets even 2-3 blocks in.

Each of the port areas will also contain numerous shops and bars/restaurants as well.

There are three cruise ship ports on Cozumel, so it sort of depends upon what ship and what day. 2 of the ports are large complexes a short taxi from downtown, but offer shopping plus bars and restaurants while the other is very close to downtown. I agree with the above advice to taxi to downtown if needed instead of just hanging around the port shops.

The port we've been to the most (via Royal Caribbean) is a distance from town--we've walked there, but I wouldn't recommend it because it is quite far.

That being said, the port area has a ton of fun shopping, restaurants and bars. In fact, the last few times we've been to Cozumel, we stayed in the port area and had a blast. - Musing About Cruising

So we just plan on getting off and going for a wander around the port and town area in Cozumel. So whats in the nearby area? Any restaurants, bars, local shops etc?

First time visiting the area

If this is for your Norwegian Cruise you will more than likely dock at Punta Langosta in the middle of town.

Here is a link to a walking tour of San Miguel, which is a little dated now but covers main points.

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/ThingstoDoWalkingTour.htm

Lots of shops, restaurants, bars, town square within walking distance - better bargains a street or two inland from the main ocean front road.

Thanks for the responses. We will be in Cozumel on Rhapsody of the Seas with RCI so maybe we will be a distance from the town. No worries though. Will see what the day brings when we get there I guess.

Rhapsody will most likely be at International pier, south of town and $10 taxi ride each way.

Much better to do San Miguel on you Norwegian day.

Is it hard to get taxi back from Cozumel to ship from downtown

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cozumel is an island. San Miguel is the main town.

There are three piers for cruise ships, one in town and two south of town, approx $10 taxi ride away. Which Pier depends on which cruise line you are on.

It is easy to get taxis anywhere within the main tourist areas.

• 2 weeks later...
If you're docked away from downtown, you can easily take a taxi for roughly $8 to downtown. There are numerous shops and restaurants downtown. This is often what we do, our favorite restaurant Casa Denis is located off the main square. We then wander in and out of the shops for awhile. Highly recommend getting off the main road as there are lots of little neat markets in the streets even 2-3 blocks in.

Each of the port areas will also contain numerous shops and bars/restaurants as well.

We’re from Iowa and love Casa Denis also

Edited by plutospal
misspelled word

I would recommend for you to go to the town. It is quite far from the port, so you should plan ahead. In regards to things to do - options are endless. I would suggest you check the KnowYourPros . com website - it refers to different local businesses in each of the islands and you can see the list and choose what is most appealing for you. Enjoy it to the fullest!