July/August weather on Baltic cruise?

We are looking at booking a Baltic cruise for next year in either July or August. My husband is reluctant to commit as he believes it will be cold. Can anyone give me an idea of what temps to expect, whether rain is likely and if July or August is a more favourable weather month.

I appreciate weather can be very variable but I would just like to hear of any personal experiences.

I have also posted this on ask a cruise question but was re directed here.:D

We are looking at booking a Baltic cruise for next year in either July or August. My husband is reluctant to commit as he believes it will be cold. Can anyone give me an idea of what temps to expect, whether rain is likely and if July or August is a more favourable weather month. I appreciate weather can be very variable but I would just like to hear of any personal experiences. I have also posted this on ask a cruise question but was re directed here.

You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

Here are a few weather averages/details for these three key cities in the Baltics by looking at the 7th, 15th, 23rd days of each month from http://www.wunderground.com:

Copenhagen: High/low averages,

May, early: 61 high/47 low °F

May, mid: 63/48 °F

May, late: 65/50 °F

June, early: 67/53 °F

June, mid: 68/54 °F

June, late: 69/54 °F

July, early: 69/55 °F

July, mid: 69/54 °F

July, late: 69/54 °F

August, early: 67/53 °F

August, mid: 66/52 °F

August, late: 64/51 °F

Sept., early: 60/49 °F

Sept., mid: 58/47 °F

Sept., late: 56/45 °F

St. Petersburg:

May, early: 60 high/41 low °F

May, mid: 62/44 °F

May, late: 65/46 °F

June, early: 68/49 °F

June, mid: 70/51 °F

June, late: 72/53 °F

July, early: 72/53 °F

July, mid: 71/52 °F

July, late: 70/51 °F

August, early: 66/48 °F

August, mid: 64/46 °F

August, late: 61/45 °F

Sept., early: 55/41 °F

Sept., mid: 52/38 °F

Sept., late: 48/36 °F

Stockholm:

May, early: 60 high/44 low °F

May, mid: 62/46 °F

May, late: 63/49 °F

June, early: 66/52 °F

June, mid: 68/54 °F

June, late: 70/55 °F

July, early: 71/56 °F

July, mid: 70/55 °F

July, late: 69/54 °F

August, early: 67/52 °F

August, mid: 65/50 °F

August, late: 63/48 °F

Sept., early: 58/44 °F

Sept., mid: 54/42 °F

Sept., late: 51/40 °F

Added questions and needs? What ports are you planning to visit? Which cruise line?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 114,955 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

As I posted on your other thread, we were just there, and experienced near record temps. We planned based on info like TLCOhio shows, however, with the exception of one day (cool, windy, a couple of brief showers), we had upper 80s every day.

It has been said here so many times, I have lost count, the weather in the Baltics is so unpredictable, you have to prepare for everything, from heat to cold.

Now, we cruised the Baltics, mid to late August, and you could most definitely feel the autumn chill in the evenings and early mornings. We always left the ship with a light jacket which usually came off around 11-12:00.

Others have said they were there at the same time in different years, and they had a heat wave.

If you decide to cruise in mid August or beyond, as Terry noted, the usual temps will be a bit on the chilly side. Depending on where you are from, chilly should not mean cold. But I have always told fellow cruisers to dress in light layers, and bring a windbreaker and even a sweatshirt. On the ship itself, while cruising, it will not be pool weather.

July should be warmer though, but remember, you aren't going to the Caribbean.

Cheers

Len

As it has been said already expect anything in nay possible combination from +14 degrees Celsius and rain to +30 Celsius and a sun that is shining from a clear blue sky.

This summer have unusually warm and sunny.

With a few exception days, there have been very warm and sunny weather for the past 4-5-6 weeks.

Last summer was the opposite, quite rainy and colder.

It is impossible to know what the weather will be like next summer, the meteorologists struggle with even making reliable forecasts for the rest of the week.

We did a Baltic cruise over the 4th of July last year. We had two days while out to sea where the weather reached the high 70s, and the entire ship enjoyed being able to get sun. I ended up with a slight sunburn from falling asleep on a deck chair. But the weather several days later in Copenhagen was gray, chilly, and rainy, and we required a light jacket to feel comfortable walking around the city.

It completely depends on the luck of the weather, but it was much more enjoyable being in Northern Europe in July than it was in Italy the summer prior. We loved being able to walk around Talinn and Stockholm without feeling too hot or too cold. Remember that most of Europe doesn't have air conditioning, so you might feel slightly better with cooler temps than you would consider for America or the Caribbean.

As others have said, it is totally variable. Our cruise was the second half of June and we happened to have many warm days including two in the 90s when we were in St Petersburg. Luckily I was prepared with a couple sleeveless tops that take no room in the suitcase. Others were dying of the heat. Expect the unexpected!

We cruised July 19-30, 2013. The week before, weather had been hot and sunny in the whole region, so I removed a sweater from my suitcase. Big mistake. I did take two pairs of jeans, and was wishing I'd left one behind... until I suddenly wished I had three pair!

The first few days we had hot sunny weather. Then we had a cold blustery winter day in Stockholm, so windy we were diverted to another port. St. Petersburg was a bit chilly one day, then started out cool and ended up hot the second day. Helsinki was cool, Tallinn was perfect, Copenhagen was warm.

Do check the history at wunderground.com, but as you can see from my experience, anything can happen. My advice is to take mostly capris for women, light weight pants for men, 1-2 pair shorts and 1-2 pair jeans each, and lots of layers for up top -- short sleeved, long sleeved, sweater, and jacket (preferably a light waterproof shell with a warmer zip-out lining). Be prepared for anything!

Personally, we eliminated all shorts from our case and stuck with good old Levi's. A bit bulkier, but they serve all purposes. If you are going for a light weight windbreaker, bring a warm sweatshirt along. Unless you are going the light packing route, it's better to have it and not need it, then the other way around.

Cheers

Len

We sailed 20th July this year- the weather was as follows:

Bruges: 24c sunny

Warnemunde:26c sunny

Stockholm: 28c sunny

Helsinki: 23c sunny in the morning, thunderstorms in the afternoon

St Petersburg: 24c+ sunny both days

Tallinn: 26c

Copenhagen: 21c sunny in the morning but turned a bit colder and blustery in the afternoon.

The sea days tended to be overcast but warm, with the exception of 1 colder day.

We also just returned from a Baltic cruise, and I asked alot of people before

we left about what to expect concerning the weather. I will tell you, we decided to go in July because we met a woman who was from Russia,

her advice was it rains more in August, so that made us decide to leave for the Baltics in mid July.

I had been advised to bring a coat that would be light weight, but with fleece lining, because of the wind, possibly in Sweden. So I brought a non bulky coat, as advised, and actually never even wore it!

Do bring an umbrella for sure, and I would say, do bring some kind of

coat with a hood. All in all we had fantastic weather, most of the time the

average temps were in the low 70's for all the countries we visited, and we

had very little rain. I didn't really think it got very cold during the evening

either. But do check the weather forecasts a week or so before you head

over there, I know it was helpful for us, and dress in layers, also helpful.

It was our most favorite trip ever! Go and enjoy!

We cruised July 19-30, 2013. The week before, weather had been hot and sunny in the whole region, so I removed a sweater from my suitcase. Big mistake. I did take two pairs of jeans, and was wishing I'd left one behind... until I suddenly wished I had three pair!

The first few days we had hot sunny weather. Then we had a cold blustery winter day in Stockholm, so windy we were diverted to another port. St. Petersburg was a bit chilly one day, then started out cool and ended up hot the second day. Helsinki was cool, Tallinn was perfect, Copenhagen was warm.

Do check the history at wunderground.com, but as you can see from my experience, anything can happen. My advice is to take mostly capris for women, light weight pants for men, 1-2 pair shorts and 1-2 pair jeans each, and lots of layers for up top -- short sleeved, long sleeved, sweater, and jacket (preferably a light waterproof shell with a warmer zip-out lining). Be prepared for anything!

Yes we sailed on the 7-19th and had almost perfect weather everywear with warm temps -that the boys needed shorts and I took my sweater off my sleeveless dress. In St Petersburg it was very sunny and hot - mids 80s I think both days. It was so hot and crowded in the Hermitage - even with early admission we did not stay there more than 2 hours (no AC in many parts of the museum). The coolest day was our last stop in Copenhagen and that was actually comfortable weather as we spent the most time in Tivoli Gardens. I do not wear jeans so packed none and generally prefer dresses and wore a dress ever day we were in port and always had a sweater/shrug and also a sweat jacket as it was cooler in the AM. A couple of the evenings it was a bit cooler, but still ok to sit on the balconey (AFT) in a sweatjacket.

But I do know the sailing before and the one after the weatehr was a bit cooler and lots of rain. We did bring umbrellas. I think it is hit or miss. Luckily for use the weather was a hit

sharon

We are looking at booking a Baltic cruise for next year in either July or August. My husband is reluctant to commit as he believes it will be cold. Can anyone give me an idea of what temps to expect, whether rain is likely and if July or August is a more favourable weather month.

I appreciate weather can be very variable but I would just like to hear of any personal experiences.

Just returned from The Baltic Cruise 7/28-8/8. The weather was fabulous! One rainy day then sunshine in Aarhaus, but all in all, great weather, 80 degrees. Hot!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We just returned and had very warm, sunny weather 8 of the 9 days. It rained in Copenhagen the day we returned but cleared up by noon. It showered a bit in St Petersburg for about 10 minutes one day and we had a brief shower in Stockholm just as we were boarding at the end of the day. The only day we needed jackets or sweaters was Stockholm.

Returned home 4 days ago, weather was great; couple of showers but otherwise warm. My advice is pack for layers that you can to, including lightweight waterproofs. I was really glad I packed shorts, t-shirts and a bathing costume! Even on overcast days the cossie came in handy for use in the hot tub to soak away aches and pains from tired legs!:)

Archived