Veendam - South America Cruise

Deep68

We have a 25th Wedding Anniversary and a 50th birthday to celebrate this year and were considering the Veendam South America cruise from San Antonia Chile to Buenos Aires.

The cruise would depart 19th November

Wanted to get opinions on the ship and the itinerary for that time of year.

South America has been on our bucket list for a while.

Appreciate the input.

We did this cruise on the Zaandam a few years ago - one of the best we have ever taken. Go for it. Lovely ship and great, low-key and highly scenic itinerary. Just fabulous. San Diego to Buenos Aires.

I would avoid an inside cabin or ocean view on the Zandam. Otherwise we loved the ship size, dining, crew and had a great trip. We went on an Alaska cruise tour 2 years ago at a bargain price booked at the last minute. We almost always book balconies for the view and fresh air. The ventilation system was horrible. The room was full of dust. Everytime we moved a blanket or changed clothes the smoke detector went off. No one ever came to check on it, I did mention it, so scary if it had been a real fire. I got an eye infection from my allergies flaring. Never inside again on an older ship for me. I've read since the filters aren't always serviced often enough. There were the most colds on that ship than we've ever seen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

We did Vancouver to Rio on the Zaandam last fall and enjoyed it so much we are booked on the Zaandam Fort Lauderdale to Rio via the Panama Canal fall 2019. We're even considering adding the Montreal to Fort Lauderdale leg.The diversity from the Tropics to the cape and round is amazing.

We did this cruise on the Zaandam a few years ago - one of the best we have ever taken. Go for it. Lovely ship and great, low-key and highly scenic itinerary. Just fabulous. San Diego to Buenos Aires.

Agreed. We did Valparaiso to BA in Feb 2015. Going down into Antarctica was a real treat. We enjoyed it so much, that we are going to do it again in a few years.

Agreed. We did Valparaiso to BA in Feb 2015. Going down into Antarctica was a real treat. We enjoyed it so much, that we are going to do it again in a few years.

Thanks for the comments.

I would avoid an inside cabin or ocean view on the Zandam. Otherwise we loved the ship size, dining, crew and had a great trip. We went on an Alaska cruise tour 2 years ago at a bargain price booked at the last minute. We almost always book balconies for the view and fresh air. The ventilation system was horrible. The room was full of dust. Everytime we moved a blanket or changed clothes the smoke detector went off. No one ever came to check on it, I did mention it, so scary if it had been a real fire. I got an eye infection from my allergies flaring. Never inside again on an older ship for me. I've read since the filters aren't always serviced often enough. There were the most colds on that ship than we've ever seen.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately all they have left for that sailing is outside cabin

Interesting recent story about a HAL ship that had an extensive change of carpet in a dry dock and the new carpet caused so many lint balls when they vacuumed it, they had to exchange all 6000 air filters. Good thing this was a one-off experience.

I retrospectively wish I'd complained more and started allergy meds sooner. I now pack them on trips. Even just getting us a new bed cover, pillows and vacuuming our vent might have helped with the dust. We were having such a great time on the trip and paid so little compared to what we usually pay I felt bad complaining. Hopefully on the last dry dock they cleaned out the duct work. It is a great older ship showing her age but still worth trying.

Did Veendam Valpo to BsAs in 2013 and Zaandam BsAs to San Antonio this past March. It’s a great itinerary. Had great inside K cabin with no problems on Zaandam and a C on Veendam.

First trip we missed Falklands, Ush and P. Montt. The inside Passage was spectacular as was Antarctica. This last March we missed P. Montt and had a stormy ride through the inside Passage. Not much to see through the heavy clouds and rain.

I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.