Dubin / Edinburgh November Typical Weather

November is a strange month here in Scotland. It will be cold so bring along warm clothing but also waterproofs.

We have two saying here which give a flavour of the weather,

1.If you don’t like the weather just wait 20 minutes - it will change

2. There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!

Joking aside November can actually be beautiful, cold winter sunshine and frost. It can however also howl with cold wind and pour down with rain.

Lots of indoor things to do in Edinburgh if the weather is not kind to you. Have fun.

Absolutely agree with Eaglesbrech. It's is a mixed month. We often go away for a few days in November and get the crisp sunny Winter weather described. I just love beautiful Scotland at that time of year. Sadly, people who live in the South only see the whole of Scotland as as cold, wet and windy place and it is far from the truth.

As well as the weather ,is this a cruise based trip? The sea at this time of the year, is likely to be much choppier . Also the point about the length of daylight is the worst feature at this time. We holidayed in NZ in their winter and the shortness of the daylight was the main impediment to the trip, not the temperature or possibly rain, which can happen at any time in Ireland or Scotland.

Also bear in mind that the clocks change at the end of October, so there is less daylight - November always seems so dull & grey because it gets dark by 5pm!

As an aside to that it always amuses me how surprised visitors are by our strange daylight hours when in December it is dark by 3.30pm and in June it is still daylight at 11.30 pm. We are very North!

There are benefits, our Christmas light displays show up better against the dark, and they start to near the end of November so if you are in Edinburgh then you will see them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks all. That s what we are doing, 3 nights in each Edinburgh and Dublin.

What did Elsa say? “The cold never bothered me anyway”! Lol. I’m sure we will have fun no matter what.

A couple of more questions:

Afternoon Tea recommendation in Edinburgh?

The underground vaults? Are they worth it? Or mainly a tourist trap?

And where can we go see the Highland cows that is not too far from the city?

Thanks all. That s what we are doing, 3 nights in each Edinburgh and Dublin.

What did Elsa say? “The cold never bothered me anyway”! Lol. I’m sure we will have fun no matter what.

A couple of more questions:

Afternoon Tea recommendation in Edinburgh?

The underground vaults? Are they worth it? Or mainly a tourist trap?

And where can we go see the Highland cows that is not too far from the city?

Lots of places do a nice afternoon tea but these are some of most central. They all need booked up well in advance. You can look at their websites for the details and prices.

The Blamoral at number 1 Princess Street (right above Waverley Station). Iconic hotel, they usually have a harpist at afternoon tea. You can’t miss this hotel and the doormen here are always happy to help tourist with directions etc. This is the poshest place if you want iconic but not actually the best for the food

Harvey Nicols is a top end shop on Multrees Walk (2 minute walk from Princess Street). This whole Street has expensive designer shops.Their afternoon tea is served on the top floor and the views over the city are nice if you get the right table. For me this is just a shop cafe except for the view.

The Dome, George Street (the next big street back from Princes Street) This is a lovely building with doric columns and a massive dome on top. They do a good afternoon tea and if you are late in. November then their Christmas decorations are really lovely to see. There are always question here for people who have not booked and the food is generally good

The Waldorf Astoria the Caledonia is about half way along Princess Street. Their afternoon tea is served in a massive lounge with nice comfortable couches and lots of natural light and again if It is late November the decorations are great. The food and choice of tea is good. I like their house blend of tea.

The National art gallery cafe in Princess Street gardens also does a very nice afternoon tea and you can people watch looking out over the gardens. Large glass fronted cafe.

Yes the underground vaults are well worth seeing but go to the official one Mary Kings Close which runs under the Royal Mile. They are a little dark and creepy but the guides are good and tell the story of old Edinburgh, again you need to book a time slot in advance as they are really popular. https://www.realmarykingsclose.com/

Sorry I don’t know anywhere in or near the city where you would see a Highland cow. They are big creatures that need solid fencing in so generally they are on farms in the countryside. I hope someone else can help with this.

Edinburgh, the city which even has "Heilan' Coos"!

Easiest place to see them is by taking the #11 bus (Lothian buses, see website) to the stop for Klondyke Garden Centre and Mortonhall Caravan and Camping site. Ask the driver to tell you where to get off.

Enter by the roadway. The Garden Centre will be on your left, a field on your right. Continue on the access road towards the caravan site entrance with the field on your right and look for them in there. Sometimes they are close to the roadway, sometimes further over to the right or towards the back of the field nearer the caravan site entrance. When close to the roadway you get to see them really well, otherwise you don't. Just luck really.

Prestonfield House Hotel also has some in the grounds, but it is a long walk to get there (and back) from the closest bus stop on Dalkieth Rd.

And Swanston Farm. See their website.

Lots of places do a nice afternoon tea but these are some of most central. They all need booked up well in advance. You can look at their websites for the details and prices.

The Blamoral at number 1 Princess Street (right above Waverley Station). Iconic hotel, they usually have a harpist at afternoon tea. You can’t miss this hotel and the doormen here are always happy to help tourist with directions etc. This is the poshest place if you want iconic but not actually the best for the food

Harvey Nicols is a top end shop on Multrees Walk (2 minute walk from Princess Street). This whole Street has expensive designer shops.Their afternoon tea is served on the top floor and the views over the city are nice if you get the right table. For me this is just a shop cafe except for the view.

The Dome, George Street (the next big street back from Princes Street) This is a lovely building with doric columns and a massive dome on top. They do a good afternoon tea and if you are late in. November then their Christmas decorations are really lovely to see. There are always question here for people who have not booked and the food is generally good

The Waldorf Astoria the Caledonia is about half way along Princess Street. Their afternoon tea is served in a massive lounge with nice comfortable couches and lots of natural light and again if It is late November the decorations are great. The food and choice of tea is good. I like their house blend of tea.

The National art gallery cafe in Princess Street gardens also does a very nice afternoon tea and you can people watch looking out over the gardens. Large glass fronted cafe.

Yes the underground vaults are well worth seeing but go to the official one Mary Kings Close which runs under the Royal Mile. They are a little dark and creepy but the guides are good and tell the story of old Edinburgh, again you need to book a time slot in advance as they are really popular. https://www.realmarykingsclose.com/

Sorry I don’t know anywhere in or near the city where you would see a Highland cow. They are big creatures that need solid fencing in so generally they are on farms in the countryside. I hope someone else can help with this.

Wow! Thank you so much.

Edinburgh, the city which even has "Heilan' Coos"!

Easiest place to see them is by taking the #11 bus (Lothian buses, see website) to the stop for Klondyke Garden Centre and Mortonhall Caravan and Camping site. Ask the driver to tell you where to get off.

Enter by the roadway. The Garden Centre will be on your left, a field on your right. Continue on the access road towards the caravan site entrance with the field on your right and look for them in there. Sometimes they are close to the roadway, sometimes further over to the right or towards the back of the field nearer the caravan site entrance. When close to the roadway you get to see them really well, otherwise you don't. Just luck really.

Prestonfield House Hotel also has some in the grounds, but it is a long walk to get there (and back) from the closest bus stop on Dalkieth Rd.

And Swanston Farm. See their website.

Really appreciate this info, thank you!