Post-cruise hotel close to Marco Polo Airport in Venice

tyson

We will be on the Rhapsody in November. We are staying a day after the cruise in Venice and want to find a hotel near the airport since we will probably book a morning flight (on Sunday). Do you have any suggestions and/or experiences with hotels near the airport? Also, what transportation did you take to the airport early in the morning? I'm assuming you have to be at the airport at least 2-3 hours before the flight.

This link provides the names of several hotels by Marco Polo Airport. Some have shuttle service to the airport; check if there's a fee, and the hours.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-airport-hotels.htm

Another option to consider is Mestre which is on the mainland, just across the causeway from venice.....about a 15-20 minute cab ride to the airport, 45E fare. You could disembark the ship, check your luggage at the hotel, then take the bus or train to venice about 10 minutes away for a day of sightseeing.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-hotels-train-station.htm

My flights have been noon or later and i arrive 3 hrs prior based on previous experience; marco polo is a mess. Dont have experience with earlier times.

WE booked the Crowne Plaza Venice East for our post cruise on the NCL star this October. If you book the cruise package they will pick you up at the cruise terminal after your cruise, includes breakfast the next mornibg and then shuttle service to the airport. Our cruise ends the same day as the Venice Marathon so we decided to stay an extra day and fly out the next late morning. enjoy your cruise

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked a 7:00 morning flight on Sunday, so having a short trip to the airport would be good. The Best Western Titan Inn seems close and reasonably priced. Anyone stayed there? Also, we're trying to come up with a plan for after the cruise. We don't want to go to the hotel until later in the day, but we will have our luggage.

We have booked a 7:00 morning flight on Sunday, so having a short trip to the airport would be good. The Best Western Titan Inn seems close and reasonably priced. Anyone stayed there? Also, we're trying to come up with a plan for after the cruise. We don't want to go to the hotel until later in the day, but we will have our luggage.

I found the following information on another thread and saved it. You might find it useful

Disembarkation:

If you have late flights, there are a few options for leaving your luggage at port and visiting Venice for the day.

1. there is an excursion to Padua before airport transfer - that excursion was cancelled on my sailing (May 7 - 14).

2. Airport Transfer - $30 pp They will store your bags until you come back for bus transfer to the airport. Our flight wasn't until 5pm and we purchased the airport transfers. We left the ship before 9am and explored Venice and then came back to the port for a 2:15 transfer to the airport. They brought the bags out from their storage area to the bus area and we just transferred them over to the bus to the airport. It took about 20 minutes for the bus ride and we were met by a Norwegian rep who walked us from the bus lot into the airport and pointed us to the check in area.

3. Bag Storage at the port (not thru Norwegian). 5 euro per bag stored. available between 8 am and 5 pm. They also had options to transfer bags to the train station (8 euro) or to a Venice hotel (10euro) or to the airport (12.50 euro) so you wouldn't have to come back to the port.

4. Bag Storage at the train station or the bus terminal. We didn't check into the prices, but were told about the option.

airport is only about 30 mins from cruise port

however Marco Polo airport is notorious for being congested

some low cost airlines only open up check in desks 2 hours prior and as there is no seating in pre check in area it's a nightmare

you may as well chill out night before in an area to want to be in ie Venice but probably near P Roma

Thanks, Rsparis, for the information. Storing our luggage may be a good option before going to the hotel by the airport for the night. We are flying British Airways out of Venice, so I'm hoping they open the check-in desks early. I have only read negative experiences about Marco Polo Airport. I'm not much of a morning person, so I'm hoping it all works out for us.

The airport is a 20 minute drive from the port, or 15 minutes from Mestre.

There is a luggage storage company at the Piazzale Roma. 7E per bag for 24 hrs. Info is in the VeniceforVisitors site I posted earlier.

https://trasbagagli.it/en/pg/view/53/luggage-storage-venice-piazzale-roma-airport

Can you can easily handle your luggage for the equivalent of a few blocks walk? If so, walk from your ship to the People Mover (a monorail that runs from the port to Piazzale Roma; a 3 minute ride for 1.5E) When you exit the People Mover you're next door to the storage facility.

If you can't manage your luggage, take a cab to your hotel, 40E and check your luggage at their desk. Then you can either take a cab back to venice or take the hotel shuttle to the airport and catch the ATVO express bus for 7or8E pp each way. ( you might be able to get a cab from the port to Piazzale Roma, but the drivers don't want to be bothered with a 5 minute ride)

The airport ticket counters may not be open but there will hundreds of people in lines, waiting. They usually only have 1 or 2 people working at a counter, so it seems like the lines don't move. At the last minute they add a few more workers and then the lines move. It's pretty nerve wracking. That's why you don't want to be the last person in line!

Stayed at Annia Park 2 years ago. They were very nice and the shuttle to the airport worked very well. Nice hotel too.

We disembarked in Venice and took a taxi to the hotel. We arrived early- maybe by 9 or so. They had us wait a very short time and then checked us in very early.

Left the luggage and took the shuttle to the airport. Got the bus back to Venice and spent the day. Took the bus back to the airport in the evening and then the shuttle back to the hotel.

We had a 7 am flight so took a very early shuttle to the airport. Everything went great.

The airport was busy at that early hour but everything was fine.

Enjoy your trip! We are heading back to Venice next month. Can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

WE booked the Crowne Plaza Venice East for our post cruise on the NCL star this October. If you book the cruise package they will pick you up at the cruise terminal after your cruise, includes breakfast the next mornibg and then shuttle service to the airport. Our cruise ends the same day as the Venice Marathon so we decided to stay an extra day and fly out the next late morning. enjoy your cruise

This crowne plaza is a 20 minute train ride from the train station to Quarto D Altino . The hotel is behind the train station (50yards) and is very convenient. The Bestwestern Airvenice also offers the same package but is a 10 minute walk from the Quarto D Altino train station.