Mattress topper request?

LHARTWICK

What is the topper difference when one books a Star or Sky Class, or otherwise books a GS or higher room. Indications are that it includes a special mattress topper. Is this the same thing? Are the beds different for Star, Sky, or GS or higher guests??

I would like to hear the answer to this question as well. :)

Is it possible to submit a mattress topper request for our cabin prior to our cruise? I've done it with other lines before. If so, what is the process? Or do I need to request ASAP after boarding? We are on LOS in October and I've read countless posts that say the mattresses are terrible. Thanks!

I e-mailed the special needs dept. as Bob suggested and they said that the toppers would be on the beds when we boarded. Seems to be THE most popular request at Royal....

I would love to know how this works out. I am planning on taking my own padding in April...i can't stand the thought of another cruise in a bed that makes sleeping so uncomfortable.

Thanks

Patti

I'll likely be reporting LIVE, so you will get pictures (of the topper on the bed) and commentary about the quality of sleep! It should be noted, that the poster who has already used this mattress topper raved about it and said she slept like a baby the whole week while her husband had a sore hip [emoji15]. This topper is available in 3 sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll likely be reporting LIVE, so you will get pictures (of the topper on the bed) and commentary about the quality of sleep! It should be noted, that the poster who has already used this mattress topper raved about it and said she slept like a baby the whole week while her husband had a sore hip [emoji15]. This topper is available in 3 sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already have it on my Amazon wish list. I was thinking of taking a foam one & leaving it there but with this I could keep for future travel which is good considering the cost. I was looking at the slightly wider one (I am a bit wider) and since I am not back packing the couple of extra pounds weren't that big of a deal.

I guess they are also available at Atmosphere stores so next time I see one, I may check them out.

Happy sleeping

Not sure if it will work, but I'd try [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse].

I sent a request a week or so ago to this email for our November cruise (after reading the posts on CC about the beds). The next day I got a response saying that they have notated my reservation and there would be a topper placed on my bed upon my arrival.

It's definitely worth a shot to request one now, that way you don't run into "we are out of them" once you are on the ship.

Another poster beat me to it but I also bought an air mattress. The one I bought was a Thermarest self inflating air mattress.

I bought mine here in Canada at Bass Pro Shoppe but have seen the same one and similar at Cabela's and Dick's sporting goods.

It is lightweight, you just roll it out and open the air nozzle, it fills itself with air. You can add a few puffs of air if you need it or push a bit out. To deflate it you open the nozzle and roll the mattress to force the air out. Very easy, I have chronic pain issues and it is not hard for me to do.

We just bought a pop up trailer. If you aren't familiar with the beds they are thin foam over a wood base. Killer if you have pain issues. My husband insisted I get my mattress pad before our cruise and try it in the trailer. It worked great!!!!

We are sailing on the Anthem in November and I was very worried about reports on how firm the beds are. I have requested a mattress topper but can't take a chance on it not being there. I highly recommend one of these air pads. They are small and will fit in carry on. The one I bought is a bit bigger so will go in checked luggage. My husband said it comes first and then clothes, I can't have 10 nights of agony.

A representative already emailed me saying will provide me with a mattress topper. I gave them my reservation number so they can notate my reservation with my request.

I received the automated response, but haven't received anything else yet. Fingers crossed!!

I'm definitely going to check out these air mattress options that others have posted. We are driving to the embarkation port, so I don't have to worry as much about packing. Would be easier to take one of these along than when we fly. I've also been told on past cruises that our steward would have one available for us, but then upon boarding, the steward knows nothing about it. Miserable to sleep on a concrete bed during your cruise! Thanks for all of these tips - you guys rock!

Edited by LHARTWICK

I just emailed my request to RC, let's see how they reply.

good luck! I have had a good response in the past and i got the mattress pad but i have now emailed RCCL for the fourth time in three weeks and still no response. I just get this automated email back saying they are taking the emails in the order received and will respond back as soon as possible. I dont think three weeks and still waiting is good customer service AT ALL!

Just got off the Anthem and OMG the mattresses are harder than the floor. I asked for an egg crate topper and were told they didn't have any. Our room steward said he would work on it. What they did was but one of the top comforters under the bottom sheet. So now I not only had my sciatic acting up the whole cruise but I was so hot to boot. Bad enough to have that hot comforter on top of you but when you lay on one it just adds to your body heat.:eek: It took me 4 days to get a feather pillow :mad: I have nothing good to say about the Anthem of the Seas.

I emailed Special Needs at RCCL today to ask for the mattress topper for our upcoming cruise. I received the automated reply - but within an hour got another reply saying they'd put a note on the reservation to put a mattress topper on our bed.

I scrolled down, and discovered a change in my previous request. I had asked for an extension cord (if no outlet by the bed) and distilled water for my husband's CPAP. Somehow, they changed the "distilled water" in the previous request to "8 oz cans of Ensure"!!! LOL

I emailed them again to ask that the Ensure be removed - and distilled water be put back on!

I too have received the exact same response on two occasions from special needs. Here is what I was told. There are no more "foam" or "egg crate" mattress toppers on the ships - they were removed for hygienic reasons and are not being replaced. Those who have reported having them on their beds should consider themselves lucky as they are probably gone by now. Unfortunately I found out the hard way (pardon the pun!) that the egg crates were gone, because I was promised one "on embarkation day" on my February AOS cruise and of course it was nowhere to be seen. The special needs agent told me that the cabin attendant's have been told to use folded up comforters (same as what you have ON your bed, UNDER the bottom sheet to add more padding. This is what was done on my AOS cruise and I can assure you it did absolutely nothing to soften the mattress. If you have made a recent request through special needs, you should be aware of what you will get and not believe you will have an egg crate topper, or you will be in for a sad surprise once onboard.

I was actually relieved that I finally got a straight answer from special needs s that I could make alternate arrangements for myself. I posted the picture of the mattress pad I am taking with me on my November Freedom cruise. At least this way I am assured that it will 1. Be there and 2. Be very comfortable. I am just not willing to take my chances and wind up with a back ache every day.

Ckrobyn: Even though RCCL has assured me a "topper" will be on my bed, I'm seriously considering taking one of the air mattresses that you linked in your above post. Looks like it rolls up to a very small package, and wouldn't be hard to inflate. Thank you!! And thanks to others on here for their input. :)

With all these removals of the egg crate toppers, what has happened to beds in the Suites? A couple of us would like to know. Are the beds softer in Suites than any other cabin?

I can speak from past experience in the RS, RFS, OS and GS that each of those cabins had egg crate toppers on the beds. I am not sure what they are doing now?