Venice-How to get to San Basilio Dock from hotel with large luggage?

DrivesLikeMario

I think we want to take some kind of public water transport from the San Zaccaria stop to the San Basilio Dock stop. We're taking a private water taxi to the hotel and it's pricey so I'd like to save a few bucks with this transfer.

- What kind of boat do we take? ACTV?

- We won't be using vaporetto passes while we're there so I guess we just go up to the ticket booth (or is it a machine?) and get a one-way ticket that way?

- Will we be in everyone's way if we have 3 pieces of large luggage?

Thanks for the help.

You have three (3) ways of accessing the Cruise Terminal and smaller piers at San Basilio :

1. Public Vaporetto to San Basilio stop, then short walk over one pedestrian bridge.

2. Private water taxi to San Basilio .

3. Take public vaporetto to Piazzale de Roma, then standard road taxi to San Basilio cruise terminal .

Okay. I appreciate the help. It's just a huge price difference between the vaporetto (3 Euros) vs.120Euros with the water taxi. I guess I can hope to share a water taxi with others on the roll call (if others ever join it). Thanks again.

I took a vaporetto from San Basilio dock to the train station with one piece of luggage and one carry-on and it was easy.

The pedestrian bridge mentioned above is a small one and easy to cross with luggage.

If you are talking about 3 pieces of luggage for two people, it should not cause any fuss on the vaporetto. There is a small-ish central place to store luggage but quite a few people just stand in a corner (in the central open area) with their bags. I just got back from 4 days in Venice and saw it many times....

I would recommend that if you plan to use the vaporetto, you try to arrange your schedule so that you aren't in the middle of the morning or evening "rush hours" when the vaporettos tend to run really full.

I think we want to take some kind of public water transport from the San Zaccaria stop to the San Basilio Dock stop. We're taking a private water taxi to the hotel and it's pricey so I'd like to save a few bucks with this transfer.

- What kind of boat do we take? ACTV?

- We won't be using vaporetto passes while we're there so I guess we just go up to the ticket booth (or is it a machine?) and get a one-way ticket that way?

- Will we be in everyone's way if we have 3 pieces of large luggage?

Thanks for the help.

We took Alilaguna boat to port not crowded and worked perfect. You can buy ticket day before in kiosk.

I thought Alilaguna boats were mainly used for the airport to city center and back? I think it's either a vaporetto (ACTV) or a water taxi, right?

You can use Alilaguna from point to point in Venice as well, but they do not have as many stops as the vaporetto lines.

Here's a map of their routes: https://www.alilaguna.it/en/lines/lines-map

Do you need all 3 suitcases at your hotel?

Are you going to the hotel from the airport? If so, take the ATVO express bus to Piazzale Roma, store your suitcases at Left Luggage, then take an overnight bag on a water taxi for a private tour down the Grand Canal to your hotel. When its time for the cruise, ride a vaporetto back to PRoma to get your luggage, then take a cab to the pier.

When we took the vaporetto from San Basilio to the train station - we drug our suitcases on and just kept them with us and stood outside. You paid on board - a guy came around to collect money. However, when we did it from the airport to the hotel, we did purchase the ticket at the ticket booth. I bet your hotel can tell you exactly what to do. You may have to change boats to get to San Basilio.

Sent from my iPad using Forums