Naples Question

brandba

We are going to dock in Naples in July and will be there 7 AM-7PM. I am thinking about the following, on my own or with another couple. Take the hydrofoil from Naples to Capri first, then somehow getting to Sorrento (ferry?) at lunch and wandering, followed by a return to Naples (how?) and the Archeological Museum. Is this doable and does anyone have suggestions as to getting the details squared away before the cruise to eliminate wasting time figuring out transportation?

This is doable, but you would be pretty busy! Personally, I would feel rushed, but that is just my personal opinion based uupon my preferred method of "seeing" things... I prefer to spend lots of time in museums, etc. However, if you want to see all of the places that you mentioned, it is definitely doable. (Make sure you factor in your travel time)

Info on accomplishing your itinerary

Hydrofoil from Naples to Capri

Hydrofoil or Ferry from Capri to Sorrento (hydrofoil would be faster...if you took the 11:20 hydofoil, your would be in Sorrento around lunchtime) - Link to Sorrento/Capri Ferry & Hydrofoil schedules: http://www.capri.net/en/ferry-schedule

Circumvesuviana commuter train from Sorrento to Naples (check their website for train times at: http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en/homepage )

Metro to National Archaeological Museum

Many thanks. I might try it. In Capri I would want to see the Villa San Michel and the gardens of Alex Munthee. I will need to check out to see how long I would need to do that I guess.

Many thanks. I might try it. In Capri I would want to see the Villa San Michel and the gardens of Alex Munthee. I will need to check out to see how long I would need to do that I guess.

If you want to see these, I don't think you'll be able to fit in both Sorrento AND the museum. Capri is larger than you think and you need to factor in the amount of time all the transportation to and from will take. We are planning to spend a full day on Capri seeing Villa Jovis and the Villa San Michele, for example.

Personally, if it were me, I would go to Capri and enjoy it as long as I wanted to. Then I would return directly to Naples and, time permitting, go enjoy the Archealogical Museum. Personally, I don't think adding Sorrento into the mix adds much. I would do lunch in Capri or a later lunch back in Naples. Using this approach, there should be time to do the Museum unless you were totally enjoying things on Capri and decided to spend extra time there.

Yes, I would definitely check the times.

If you have your heart set on visiting Villa San Michel & the gardens, I would think you would need to drop one of your other stops (like a previous poster mentioned, I would drop Sorrento. Lovely town, but not, IMHO, a "must see" during your short time in port). If you want to see all that you originally mentioned (not including touring San Michel), you will get only a glimpse of each stop (including the museum, which is, IMO, awesome and merits more than a "run by") Travel times to/from Naples/Capri, Capri/Sorrento & Sorrento/Naples will eat us a fair chunk of time. Also, you need to factor in the time to get from the museum back to port in time for your sailing.

Looks like Sorrento would have to be dropped in favor of lunch in Capri... leaving time for the museum. Is the Blue Grotto worth doing?

Yes, Blue Grotto is definitely worth doing. BUT, again, what else are you willing to cut out to do the grotto? We spent 2 days on Capri & did the grotto. You need to get out to the grotto landing, transfer to little row boats & then enter the grotto (and there may quite a wait to enter during the peak season). Again, more travel time eaten-up. Just too much to see in too little time with short timeframes ala cruise port stops. If you opt for the grotto, I would forget about the villa & gardens (you might also not get back to Naples in time to enjoy the museum). AND, entering the grotto is dependent on the weather. If the water is too choppy, you cannot enter the grotto. For the afore mentioned reasons, I would save the grotto for a future visit when you have the time to devote a day to Capri.

http://www.mediterranean-cruise-ports-easy.com/capri-blue-grotto.html

So many decisions.... :rolleyes:

So many of these things can only be decided by the individual, in terms of what is important to him or her. Of course, the Blue Grotto is worth doing; thousands of people take the time to see it every year.

But would I personally choose to do it over the Archaeological Museum in Naples? No way! :)

So many of these things can only be decided by the individual, in terms of what is important to him or her. Of course, the Blue Grotto is worth doing; thousands of people take the time to see it every year.

But would I personally choose to do it over the Archaeological Museum in Naples? No way! :)

I agree!

If you prefer beautiful natural sites (definitely fits Capri & the Blue Grotto), then go for these options!

If you are more "into" the history/archaeology/culture of the area, I would not miss the museum.

There is no way I would miss the museum, but that is just me....others would love the natural beauty, shopping, food, etc.

Exactly what I was looking for-- thanks! Now, once I get back to Naples on the hydrofoil, can anyone out there tell me how to get to the Archelogical Museum?

From the cruise port the fastest way to the Archeology Museum would be a taxi. You should be able to get one at the taxi stand at Molo Beverello, where the boat from Capri will land.

If you'd prefer mass transit, you'd need to walk a few blocks to the Via Medina bus stop, where you can get one of three buses that go to the museum, #201, R1 or R4.

The Via Medina bus stop is on Via Medina, just past Calata San Marco.

You can see a simplified map that shows these bus routes here: http://www.unicocampania.it/files/mappe/principali_collegamenti.pdf

IMO - Capri is miserable if more than one cruise ship is in port. I kid you not. You need to check on that first and not just the Naples port, but smaller ships can dock in Sorrento and Capri that day. you would need to do Capri/Sorrento/Naples all by hydrofoil though, so yes, you need to check times. I love Sorrento, and would pass up the museum for there. But I have been to both, so it's what you want to see most. lunch would be a lot cheaper in Sorrento than Capri. or even cheaper back in Naples.

Archived