The Star - Panama Canal Cruise

Oakman58

Don, no worries about your promised review. You have a long list from many of us wanting to know certain things. Don't worry about the pictures..just have a fantastic time! You day is almost here:D

Oakman, I took Don's idea and posted your review on our meet and greet in case anyone missed it. I can't believe your fabulous photos came from a point and shoot!

don't-use-real-name, I agree it would be nice to have "what is happening inside" pictures similar to ones we see when a ship is being built. I was surprised at the price increase and wondered if it was becasue of the special running right now and the prices might drop a little later.

What time do they start disembarking? We are on the LA to Miami cruise on the 19th. We are looking to see if we can make a 1120 flight.

Alisha....

Are you already booked for 11:20 flight or are you thinking of changing it from a later flight.

I would try to get a later flight if possible to avoid the stress.

I did not want to take any chances and booked a 12:40 flight.

Don

Alisha....

Are you already booked for 11:20 flight or are you thinking of changing it from a later flight.

I would try to get a later flight if possible to avoid the stress.

I did not want to take any chances and booked a 12:40 flight.

Don

We haven't booked a flight home yet, so we are going to book a later time. We just won't get home until ten at night. We still have to book a room for when we get to Long Beach. We're slightly behind!

Does anyone know if there was a chocolate buffet during the cruise or a "lobster" night in the main dining rooms? I thought I read something about lobster in the Market Cafe but was wondering about the usual lobster nights in main dining rooms.

Thanks!

Emi

No lobster night in the MDR or buffet. The Le Bistro French restaurant did have a lobster tail dinner.

I can't help with the chocolate buffet since we always ate dinner in the MDR or specialty restaurants.

Oh how I wish I could join you folks on the PC cruise leaving on the 4th. I hope all of you have as much fun as my wife and I did.

Does anyone know if there was a chocolate buffet during the cruise or a "lobster" night in the main dining rooms? I thought I read something about lobster in the Market Cafe but was wondering about the usual lobster nights in main dining rooms.

Thanks!

Emi

In November, there was no lobster night in the MDR aboard the Star. On the second night, they had the Seafood Dinner in the Market Cafe which included the pasta concoction with lobster chunks plus other dishes.

The chocolate buffet is also a thing from the past. It was replaced with the Chocoholics Unite on day 12 in all dining venues. The Freestyle Daily tell guests to enjoy dinner and then indulge in an all chocolate dessert menu featuring an array of decadent treats. We ate in Cagney's that night and I do not recall seeing anything different. But, I already knew I wanted Cagney's hot brownie with ice cream, so I do not think I paid attention to the menu.

Edited by calex

I’m glad you reminded me of the chocolate desserts calex. I was kinda disappointed in the desserts that were offered in the Aqua Dining room that night. Our Chocoholics Unite was on Day 13.

From the Freestyle Daily: “Join us in any Main Dining Room for dinner & indulge in an all chocolate dessert menu featuring an array of decadent treats. Or visit the Market Café or our Specialty Restaurants for dinner, which will be offering special chocolate desserts. Come for dinner tonight and leave room for dessert. Tonight only!”

Here’s a picture of what was on the menu that night under desserts. Certainly more chocolate desserts than normal but I was expecting a bit more decadent desserts.

IMG_6134-Copy1_zps551b46ff.jpg

Oh, that's a bummer about the chocolate buffet! I loved walking through and looking at all the wonderful concoctions they made and the sculptures. I didn't usually eat much of it but the last few times found one particular dessert that I really liked. I couldn't tell you what it is called though of course. :)

The chocolate desserts calex does not sound like a fitting replacement to me. I even loved having to wait until midnight to indulge. I didn't like it as much when they started doing it in the middle of the day.

Oh well...Thank you though for letting me know not to get my hopes up.

Emi

I have experienced both the chocolate buffet and the new chocolate night and I must say that the change is a vast improvement in quality. I have a big sweet tooth... Especially for chocolate and the new menu is so much better! So happy with the improvements NCL is making.

We were on the Star last year and the embarkation was a nightmare for us too. We went on the Getaway this year and embarkation was 120% better. Don't let the Star scare you away from NCL. From my experience it's better on other ships.

I have experienced both the chocolate buffet and the new chocolate night and I must say that the change is a vast improvement in quality. I have a big sweet tooth... Especially for chocolate and the new menu is so much better! So happy with the improvements NCL is making.

It would be kind of fun to order one of every item on the Chocoholics Unite menu and have a little buffet setup on the dining table in the MDR. Good way to find the HITS and limit exposure to the MISSES on the menu. Just watching the wait staff react to the request would be a kick.

Now we can root out the real Chocoholics...

I haven't booked any cruise yet, still lurking and waiting for the DD's vacation schedule for this December. I want to know about Cagney's, La Cucina, Moderno and Le Bitro. What's the Cagney's and La Cucina similar to chain restaurant in US?

Is Cagney's is like Longhorn Steak House and La Cucina is like Macaroni Grill or Olive Garden?

Thanks.

I haven't booked any cruise yet, still lurking and waiting for the DD's vacation schedule for this December. I want to know about Cagney's, La Cucina, Moderno and Le Bitro. What's the Cagney's and La Cucina similar to chain restaurant in US?

Is Cagney's is like Longhorn Steak House and La Cucina is like Macaroni Grill or Olive Garden?

Thanks.

There are many threads that detail the specialty restaurants most of which is subjective based on personal taste and preferance. You should search for those. This thread is centering on Panama Canal cruises.

It would be kind of fun to order one of every item on the Chocoholics Unite menu and have a little buffet setup on the dining table in the MDR. Good way to find the HITS and limit exposure to the MISSES on the menu. Just watching the wait staff react to the request would be a kick.

Now we can root out the real Chocoholics...

I am totally in for that idea! Ha...this probably wouldn't be the first time they had that request though...and knowing NCL, they would be happy to oblige! :)

Is it a Panama Canal cruise question? This thread is centering on Panama Canal cruises.

We are leaving on the Star Panama Canal cruise in 2 weeks and this question was specific to this ship and cruise.

Edited by mein18

Don, I got it on my android device, using the search feature in the Play Store. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but as you know, I just have a few more days to wait!

Hi Julie...

What name/description should I be looking for in the "Play Store?"

Don

Hi Julie...

What name/description should I be looking for in the "Play Store?"

Don

Do a search on google play for "NCL iconcierge" and it should show up. Will not be able to do anything with it until you are on a ship that has it active. Still trying to find out if Star is one of them. I have searched CC and one list shows the Star and a couple others do not. Hoping the OP can tell is.

http://www.ncl.com/downloads/iconcierge

I downloaded along with a cute NCL puzzle ap when I had an iPhone (I am an android person now) and never used after finding out there was a fee to use onboard. Silly me thinking something would be gratis...LOL When I travel with my DD we go the old school way and get an extra daily and decide what we are going to do. Most of the time we are together but it helped us when we planned different activities so we knew where the other would be.

2 days Don!:D