Carnival No More "Formal" Night?

liz000

Since the update on the website in the past few days, I've reread the FAQs and was surprised to see the the word Formal has been removed from what are now called Cruise Casual and Cruise Elegant Dining nights. The Mens dress code now only lists dress slacks and a dress shirt.

With the addition of the fees most of the airlines just imposed on the 2nd checked bag, it couldn't have come at a better time for those traveling:p

Yes... "Formal" night is optional now... but at least a minimal dress code exists for "Elequent Dining" nights, and I heard they enforce it, but not sure how accurate this is regarding enforcement.

The same way they enforce all the other "rules"....LOL...Dennis

Those who enjoy the special evenings will continue to dress formally, others won't.

It's been my recent experience (August) that most people are dressed formally for the 2 nights onboard. Those who were in relaxed attire were noticable by their oddity.

I also saw at least 4 people turned away from the dining room. 2 were dressed in "gym" type shorts, 1 couple looked like they'd just crawled out of bed and were in SWEAT pants and t-shirts.

Good grief! Didn't their Mama teach them anything?

If this is indeed true--thank Goodness!! I like to dress up occasionally, not every cruise to be sure. And amen on not having to pack heavy (we already pack very lightly to begin with!) with the option of bringing nice slacks that I can mix and match. I hope this becomes system wide. I disagree with the folks who say, "Don't want to dress up, eat at the buffet." I shouldn't have to "eat at the buffet" if I am dressed well (nice slacks and dressy shirt). But have gotten all gussied up for "formal night" just because those were the rules. It'll be nice to be comfortable at dinner. Could just be me, but I've yet to find a "comfortable" evening dress (long or short) that didn't resemble a tent in order to be so. Those fitted gowns become VERY uncomfortable after a big meal!! I know, I could eat less but on a cruise--never, ever gonna happen!! So here is my hand raised FOR this change!!

[Was on the Sensation last week and noticed that everyone who entered the dining room for dinner followed the specified dress code.

What a shame! Oh, well I guess we will be the "odd ducks" because DH will have on his Tux on "formal/elegnat night and coat and tie the other nights, and I will be dressed to the nines also. Just had his "new tux" steamed and pressed this week and bought several new beautiful dresses. Just 29 days to go!;) :)

Dh and I will still be dressing up.... he'll be in his tux and I'll be in my posh dresses and uncomfortable high heels.... it's the only time we ever get a chance to dress up!!

We live in Georgia.... anything more than shorts and t shirts is considered 'dressed up'!!!

I love dressing up.... I feel like a kid going to a party!!!:D

THIS FROM THE CARNIVAL WEBSITE DIRECTLY...

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

That being said...the "formal" night or "elegant" attire is exactly the same thing. They have not done away with it. as i posted on a post before, there is no reason if you spend the money on a cruise that a sport coat and a plain black dress can't be bought. The option is that for those who wish not to dress up carnival needs to have a ship designated strictly for those who feel compelled to dress down. Much like NCL. Or even have one of the two dining rooms for those who are dressed up to go to and those who aren't aren't relegated to the lido deck. That way the people who aren't dressed up don't look/feel out of place..However On all cruises i have been on carnival, there are always more people that dress up rather than not. Those that don't dress up seem to stick out. I myself, personally don't care, im on vacation and nothing phases me once i get on the airplane.

But this is a topic that seems to be sensitive to those who do dress up and those "folks" that choose not to. But even on NCL there are still formal nights, they just give people the option and several resturants to choose from where dressing up/down is okay.

Carnival needs to implement something and quick !

about 85% every night and fairly formal for that night, and past guest party, on the Holiday.Saw NO bibbers, and no one with out false teeth, No scruffy jeans in the DR.. I made sure I did the 360* every night just to satisfy myself...school is back in, and even the 200 little kids were very dressed up..A grand time had by all. The ladies were lovely, and a lot of tuxs and Suits..My table was very looked great every night, I must say. Of course, we 3 CC ladies all looked smashing! Go, Beth and Michelle!!!me too:D

Archived