Carnival No More "Formal" Night?

liz000

Amen!!! I just dont understand how some people find it offensive if you "dress down" on formal nights. I paid to be there just like everybody else and I should have the right to dress how I feel comfortable. Yes, in nice dress pants and a dressy shirt but how can it ruin someone elses night or experience if Im not in an elegant evening gown??!! We're on vacation and as long as your happy with the way your dressed, then let everyone else be happy with the way they're dressed.

The majority of people like to dress up. If only 10% of cruisers choose to wear t-shirts instead of tuxes, designating a an entire dining room to them would be a waste. All the dressed up people wouldnt be able to fit in one dining room so you would still have formal and casuals mixed together in the "casual" dining room.

And in not so many words, Carnival did designate a dining room for the casuals on formal night... It's called the Lido Deck! :D

Amen!!! I just dont understand how some people find it offensive if you "dress down" on formal nights. I paid to be there just like everybody else and I should have the right to dress how I feel comfortable. Yes, in nice dress pants and a dressy shirt but how can it ruin someone elses night or experience if Im not in an elegant evening gown??!! We're on vacation and as long as your happy with the way your dressed, then let everyone else be happy with the way they're dressed.

You absolutely do have the right to dress how you like. Now, using that same logic, we paid for the cruise as well so seeing others not following the theme of the evening throws off the point of having a theme in the first place. If ya follow me. It's like going to a costume party without a costume. Why bother showing up? You walk into the room and make everyone else think they waisted their time and money trying to look good.

I imagine MOST of us will probably choose to dress as we always have for an 'elegant evening' - from cocktail party to dinner to production show.:) ....no matter what they call it now, it's still the same thing.

(There are duplicate posts on this....Liz, perhaps you could ask a host to remove the other one?)

Well than its an easy choice don't book Carnival if dressing up is that important to you. There are cruise lines that put more emphasis on dressing up so there should be no complaints on Carnival now that it is in black and white.

You absolutely do have the right to dress how you like. Now, using that same logic, we paid for the cruise as well so seeing others not following the theme of the evening throws off the point of having a theme in the first place. If ya follow me. It's like going to a costume party without a costume. Why bother showing up? You walk into the room and make everyone else think they waisted their time and money trying to look good.

See, I understand that...but I would like to have the experience of eating in the dining room on formal/elegant night just like everyone else and I dont think that I should have to feel like everyone is looking down on me for not being in a gown. I mean Im not gonna show up in a bathing suit :eek: I plan to dress nicely. I just dont see why me not feeling comfortable in an evening gown would make anyone else uncomfortable.

See, I understand that...but I would like to have the experience of eating in the dining room on formal/elegant night just like everyone else and I dont think that I should have to feel like everyone is looking down on me for not being in a gown. I mean Im not gonna show up in a bathing suit :eek: I plan to dress nicely. I just dont see why me not feeling comfortable in an evening gown would make anyone else uncomfortable.

Just follow the dress code and you'll be fine - please don't let what people here say - change your mind. Don't worryt what others think.

Me and my Partner will not be wearing full suits as it's no longer required. I'm glad not to pack them. I don't want to see sloppy dress either when I am in the dining room - but if there are folks who do not follow the rules, and get in - it will in no way ruin my experience.

Just follow the dress code and you'll be fine - please don't let what people here say - change your mind. Don't worryt what others think.

Me and my Partner will not be wearing full suits as it's no longer required. I'm glad not to pack them. I don't want to see sloppy dress either when I am in the dining room - but if there are folks who do not follow the rules, and get in - it will in no way ruin my experience.

Thank you! I have the same outlook.

I fully understand that not everyone wants to dress up to the same level as everyone else. I accept that. What I was referring to was the people, often entire families, who insist on wearing their flipflops and sleeveless shirts to dinner on formal night. There is a difference between dressed down and just being inconsiderate of everyone elses evening by showing up ready for a rodeo. Generally speaking, most everyone is aware of a formal night on board before they arrive, if this is the type of attire you wish to wear on that night then you should excuse yourself to the lido deck or other venues of dining for that night. I'm sure not everyone agrees with me, but there's my 2 cents

Since the update on the website in the past few days, I've reread the FAQs and was surprised to see the the word Formal has been removed from what are now called Cruise Casual and Cruise Elegant Dining nights. The Mens dress code now only lists dress slacks and a dress shirt.

With the addition of the fees most of the airlines just imposed on the 2nd checked bag, it couldn't have come at a better time for those traveling:p

I started wearing tuxedos on formal night. Then I moved to suits. My next cruise is coming up this weekend and I am going to wear a shirt and tie and no jacket.

I agree that with the new fees the airlines are charging it couldn't have come at a better time.

I am trying to keep it to one suit case per person. No garment bag. No more 8 pairs of shoes. :(

Lets see how it turns out.

Most of the people who are so condecending and judgemental of others need the formal wear to make them presentable to others.

I learned a long time ago not to judge people by their dress. I wear a suit everyday....dressing up to me is not such an event as it is to someone who spends their life in sweats and NASCAR t-shirts. I do not need clothes to impress people on vacation nor do I need clothes to show I have class. If you dress up a jerk you still have a jerk.

If your dinner is ruined because the man at the next table does not have on a jacket you have big problems.

Most of the people who are so condecending and judgemental of others need the formal wear to make them presentable to others.

I learned a long time ago not to judge people by their dress. I wear a suit everyday....dressing up to me is not such an event as it is to someone who spends their life in sweats and NASCAR t-shirts. I do not need clothes to impress people on vacation nor do I need clothes to show I have class. If you dress up a jerk you still have a jerk.

If your dinner is ruined because the man at the next table does not have on a jacket you have big problems.

Elitist much? I take it this post was directed at me, though I dont recall being judgemental or condecending toward anyone. I'm sorry if my opinion upsets you, but calling people a jerk because they dont agree with your point of view is out of line.

Nobody ever said their dinner would be ruined over a jacket. The discussion here was formal attire vs "cut-off wear" (for lack of a better term). Just because you wear a suit every day of your life does not make you better than the people who "wear sweats and NASCAR t-shirts". Please come down off your pedistal.

The Dress Code for formal nights is posted at carnival.com and at the top of this web page, my problem is not with people who adhere to this code. My problem is with the people who blatently ignore it, and with carnival for allowing them to enter the dining room in the first place.

Wow,

This is getting good ! Mud slinging at its finest, like a presidental debate. Obama and McCain don't have crap compared to this topic...

Can't we all agree to disagree? Even though im all in favor of dressing up, myself nor anyone else will convince either side. This subject like the whole "civil union" subject is a very taboo subject and is better left for the theologians..lol..

Now before Marlo Thomas jumps on this topic and starts singing "Free To Be", lets all just cruise in harmony..

Wow,

This is getting good ! Mud slinging at its finest, like a presidental debate. Obama and McCain don't have crap compared to this topic...

Can't we all agree to disagree? Even though im all in favor of dressing up, myself nor anyone else will convince either side. This subject like the whole "civil union" subject is a very taboo subject and is better left for the theologians..lol..

Now before Marlo Thomas jumps on this topic and starts singing "Free To Be", lets all just cruise in harmony..

Agreed! thumbsup.gif

Carnival needs to implement something and quick !

They have and based on my August Legend sailing it is working quiet well. Carnival is adopting to accommodate the majority of their passengers.

Carnival has not said that anyone is prohibited from dressing in formal garb, if that is what they want, what they have said is that for the more elegant nights the suggested dress has been deformalized.

We love formal (elegant) nights. When we've cruised with our teens and olders, we have insisted that they pack appropriate attire for those evenings. Those are also the 2 dinners they may not skip. We enjoy seeing our kids dressed up as it is so rare and we get the photos! I don't mind if others are just dressed in slacks and button down shirts, ladies in pantsuits or similar, but I don't think that those 2 nights are the nights when people should come to dinner in shorts, jeans, polos, etc. I would love to have the elegance of a Titanic cruise, without the sinking or icebergs and on a Carnival budget.

Personally, we have never seen anyone turned away from the dining room.

My wife and I always make the effort to bring formal clothes and dress for dinner. We enjoy it. Although I have several modern tuxes (weight gain and loss), I've decided to respond to the change in formal wear rules by trying out vintage tuxes. Our next cruise is in November and I will be wearing a 1930's double breasted tux. May as well have some fun with the new dress standards.

Archived