Calling all wrist band wearers, will I need them?

Kaboochi

1st time in a forward cabin. We are on Victory Lido Deck (9) 2/1/09. How rocky can the forward cabins get on eastern Carib cruises in winter? I always wear wrist bands until I get my sea legs, but we are usually midship or aft. Will I need them the entire cruise being at this location on the ship? Thanks, Kaboochi

The cloth covered bands are elastic and have a hard plastic button that press on a pressure point in the middle of your wrist, right where your wrist meets your palm. They have saved every cruise for me.

The only time I ever need them are in the lounge, front mid bottom. I seem to feel it much more there. Not sure about the cabins.

Ohhhh.... the LOUNGE!!

The problem is the open air seating.... three decks open... and you can feel EVERY INCH OF WAVES!!

After 8 cruises, I have finally begun to recognize the warning signs... feeling Hot, uncomfortable, .... no show is worth holding out... once I start, I know I better leave NOW!!

Catrin

My husband bought a set on board for $10 and swears by them. I like them better than the sea band brand listed below because they are a simple grey velcro strap and not as big as the others. They can also get wet and dry faster than the sea bands that are made out of a stretch material much like the cuffs of a jacket.

we used them on our cruise, and the one night we took them off we both had to put them back on in the middle of the night. then my wife took hers off another day and had to put it back on. even when we got home we had to keep them on for about a week to help with Mal De Debarkment

I got all the remedies before our cruise. Wore the patch, bought the wristband, dramine & ginger gum.

The ginger gum (from Rite Aid) saved my life (almost) on the excursion we took to St. John. I knew immediately I was in trouble - patch did nothing - chewed the ginger gum & relief was immediate.

I was headed for the railing - was very thankful I didn't have to do that in front of 50 people!

Long story short -the wristbands did nothing for me.

I love those wrist bands! They work great but you must have them on before the ship starts to move. I keep mine on any time the ship is moving. It doesn't seem to matter where I am on the ship, without the bands I would be sick. If you feel really bad you can press the button harder and it makes you feel better. They sure beat pills that make you drowsy and don't allow you to have a drink.

I asked this sort of question in the "front of ship" thread, but I'll put it here again, too: Fore and "high-up", how bad can it get? We're 6-7 staterooms back from the bridge on Victory's verandah deck this week. I liked the rolling on my last cruise, but we were mid and mid, no real problems. I'm curious to see if anyone knows what it's like way up there and way up front. :)

My husband bought a set on board for $10 and swears by them. I like them better than the sea band brand listed below because they are a simple grey velcro strap and not as big as the others. They can also get wet and dry faster than the sea bands that are made out of a stretch material much like the cuffs of a jacket.

The type I use are cloth covered elastize bands with the pressure point buttons. They sometimes become annoying but the minute the boat rocks I pop them on and I continue enjoying the cruise. I LOVE THEM - Drug free so I can drink Froo Froo drinks without worry - that's what crusing is all about!

I should have been more specific with my original question. This is the first time we are in a forward cabin, plus we are high up, deck 9. Will I really feel the motion that far forward on the Victory cruise? Except for sailing from San Juan east to St Thomas, then from St Kitts back to San Juan, we will not be in very open seas like the runs from Aruba back to San Juan. My wrist bands work well but I am sightly apprehensive about spending every night in a forward cabin. If the seas are clam we should be ok? Thanks, Kaboochi

I should have been more specific with my original question. This is the first time we are in a forward cabin, plus we are high up, deck 9. Will I really feel the motion that far forward on the Victory cruise? Except for sailing from San Juan east to St Thomas, then from St Kitts back to San Juan, we will not be in very open seas like the runs from Aruba back to San Juan. My wrist bands work well but I am sightly apprehensive about spending every night in a forward cabin. If the seas are clam we should be ok? Thanks, Kaboochi

Sorry Kaboochi - I can't help you with your questions about a forward cabin. I have always shied away from them due to my fear of seasickness. I have worn those wrist bands on a few cruises and they did work great for me. What I hated was that in every picture, there I was wearing these goofy gray bands. On my last cruise I opted not to go with the bands and I took ginger root capsules instead, from the health food store. They worked great. I would take one every morning and evening and on sea days I would take one in the afternoon as well. I had NO problems!! plus I could eat and drink all and whatever I wanted.:D

Annette

Sorry Kaboochi - I can't help you with your questions about a forward cabin. I have always shied away from them due to my fear of seasickness. I have worn those wrist bands on a few cruises and they did work great for me. What I hated was that in every picture, there I was wearing these goofy gray bands. On my last cruise I opted not to go with the bands and I took ginger root capsules instead, from the health food store. They worked great. I would take one every morning and evening and on sea days I would take one in the afternoon as well. I had NO problems!! plus I could eat and drink all and whatever I wanted.:D

Annette

Anjoliza,

What do the ginger pills do and do you need to start taking them before the cruise? I would like to try them; anything to make the trip seasickness free. Do the pills come in just one dosage size or does the dosage vary? I too have pics with those awful grey bands - my firends and I call them our cruise jewelry. Thanks for the help and happy cruising. Kaboochi

Archived