"Rock the Boat"

Jersey1974

Hey!!! I just came back from my first family cruise! We were on the Norwegian Breakaway and it was AWESOME!!!! One of our excursions was cancelled due to rough waters and high winds. We had beautiful weather in the Bahamas. The next day, we had a day and a half of 10 foot swells. I was scared to death! Has anyone else been through rough and rocky seas??? Is it "normal" to have rough seas around the Carolinas? One day the pool wasn't even open because the seas were so rough. The kids can't wait to go on another cruise next year, but I'm a little nervous now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Years ago on Radiance ofthe Seas we had 40 foot swells .the sea was white not blue ..the crew called it the washing machine .No one was allowed out on deck ..it was that windy .A wave hit our window on the 4 th floor ..it was a mountain of water .Lots of people were very seasick .My kids and I took Gravol and it helped .Barf bags were everywhere on rails, near elevators etc .....we arrived in SJU 12 hours late ...yes we rocked and rolled but it was fine ...we were in a wicked wind storm .....it happens ...

Last Jan we had 2 storms leaving and coming back to New York on Breakaway ...seas were rough but ship hanled it well and our captin kept us informed

All part of cruising ..not to worry

Hey!!! I just came back from my first family cruise! We were on the Norwegian Breakaway and it was AWESOME!!!! One of our excursions was cancelled due to rough waters and high winds. We had beautiful weather in the Bahamas. The next day, we had a day and a half of 10 foot swells. I was scared to death! Has anyone else been through rough and rocky seas??? Is it "normal" to have rough seas around the Carolinas? One day the pool wasn't even open because the seas were so rough. The kids can't wait to go on another cruise next year, but I'm a little nervous now.

yes, if you haven't experienced this before I can imagine you were bit scared. We were on the BA the first week of April, had crappy weather most of the time except in the Bahamas and swells as high as 15 to 18ft were reported next to the last day. Having been on many cruises with rough seas we were ok, many were not calm at all. If you think it was bad, you would have gone nuts on the older, smaller ships. If it was GSC that was cancelled this isn't unusual either. WE have been on 3 other lines with private islands, rarely have we been able to visit the private islands due to the rough seas. Don't let this stop yo from enjoying the cruise experience. It doesn't happen on all cruises by any means. .

We have been in some rocky waters on our cruises. However on our NY's eve cruise out of NY this past December It was the worst I've ever experienced.Going down it was a bit rough , we hit a thunderstorm out a sea. THe boat listed at one point. Coming back (early Jan) we hit the winter storms that were in the carolinas and we had 70 mile winds which is hurricane force, THat was an experience. Sea swells -- well you could just image the height of them. We did not get sick , but it was real difficult to stand up in our cabin and try to pack your suitcase.

The crew said that late Jan and Feb the seas get worse. Due to the winter storms. Would this stop me from going on another cruise --No. You just go with the flow and if prone to sea sickness take meds to treat the symptoms.

If your new to boating 10ft swells in nothing on a large cruse ship. On my 22ft center console 10 if pretty big. We had 40-50 coming back from Bermuda once, that was a lot of fun!!!

We were in rough seas, but they were only like 20 ft. I remember a poor crew member in the Pinnacle dining room, on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We're eating dinner and busboy was clearing another table. He forgot to lock down the cart. It went flying all the way across the dining room and hit a wall. His supervisor was none to happy.