Ukules on Star Princess

Alaskanb

Can anyone remember what songs Dave typically teaches on these cruises? I'd like to talk my wife into a Hawaii cruise some day, and I'm curious.

Jim

Here is a list of songs in the little book we got on the last two cruises with Dave. The songs start easy and progress to become a little more difficult. They are all composed for beginners and Dave doesn't have the class play all of them. For example, on our cruises we didn't play the Christmas songs, to mention two, even though one of the cruises was at the end of November (seemed close enough to the season to me).

Two Cord Medley

Pearly Shells

Tiny Bubbles

You are my Sunshine

Octopus Garden

Bill Bailey

Little Grass Shack

Aloha Oe

Melekalikimaka

Jingle Bells

Aura Lee

Don't Worry be Happy

Pearly Shells V2 (longer version)

This is written by my husband.. the one that has too many ukes!:

I like my Oscar Schmidt (by Washburn) Concert ($80 on Amazon Pineapple shape, reg shape $59.50) size OU2P for travel because it has 12 frets to the body, giving it a shorter overall length. A soft padded gig bag is about 20 bucks and it fits under the seat on an airplane so it won't get crushed in the overhead bin by someone ramming their huge carry on bag into it. I also like the 4 string width spacing. At the neck the spacing is the same as most concert size ukes, about 1 1/8" centerline G to centerline A. But at the saddle it is 1 3/4" versus most other brands like Kala which is 1 3/8" (I just measured both my OU2P and Kala KA-C to compare). This will be a welcome difference when you start fingerpicking style or using a 60mm Dunlop nylon pick on your uke. If you are trying out various ukes in a music shop, go in with these following chord shapes in mind: E7, Fm, Bb, and Dm/Dm7. If those chords are playable without your fingers being crowded, then the neck width and fret spacing are right for you. And I agree as a former student, Tiki Dave is a good teacher. Don't worry about music theory and scales, you'll just be playing chords and doing a sing-along with the lesson books. (C, F, and G/G7 will probably your first chords to practice). Hope this info will help you, Gil.

Edited by DMRick

Aloha Kakou,

Tiki Dave here...I have been reading the thread the last couple of days, and I must say...you guys don’t need me at all! ;) Seriously, lots of good solid info and advice has been given here. I would agree with almost all of it, especially waiting until you you take the first few classes to see if you will buy a uke. I know a lot of people who have come onboard with ukes they purchased and came to maybe two lessons, figured out it wasn;t for them and I never saw them again.

If you do decide to purchase at some point, for my beginners and intermediates, I have some definite ideas about ukes to purchase, but I won’t, (and I don’t think I can) name brands and such on the boards here. If you drop me a line at tikidavemusic@gmail.com I can answer questions in more detail and “ name names”.

The classes themselves are aimed at the beginners, but I do like to say that, no matter your level, I think I can pass on some techniques and tricks/tips that might help out your playing. We try to have fun, and foster an atmosphere where everyone is comfortable and can have fun.

I hope to see many of you for the first time int he future...and many of you as repeat haumana (students)

Malala Pono

Tiki Dave

http://Www.facebook.com/eluamusic

http://Www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

Aloha Kakou,

Tiki Dave here...I have been reading the thread the last couple of days, and I must say...you guys don’t need me at all! ;) Seriously, lots of good solid info and advice has been given here. I would agree with almost all of it, especially waiting until you you take the first few classes to see if you will buy a uke. I know a lot of people who have come onboard with ukes they purchased and came to maybe two lessons, figured out it wasn;t for them and I never saw them again.

If you do decide to purchase at some point, for my beginners and intermediates, I have some definite ideas about ukes to purchase, but I won’t, (and I don’t think I can) name brands and such on the boards here. If you drop me a line at tikidavemusic@gmail.com I can answer questions in more detail and “ name names”.

The classes themselves are aimed at the beginners, but I do like to say that, no matter your level, I think I can pass on some techniques and tricks/tips that might help out your playing. We try to have fun, and foster an atmosphere where everyone is comfortable and can have fun.

I hope to see many of you for the first time int he future...and many of you as repeat haumana (students)

Malala Pono

Tiki Dave

Www.facebook.com/eluamusic

Www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

Thank you so much. See you onboard!

Here is a list of songs in the little book we got on the last two cruises with Dave. The songs start easy and progress to become a little more difficult. They are all composed for beginners and Dave doesn't have the class play all of them. For example, on our cruises we didn't play the Christmas songs, to mention two, even though one of the cruises was at the end of November (seemed close enough to the season to me).

Two Cord Medley

Pearly Shells

Tiny Bubbles

You are my Sunshine

Octopus Garden

Bill Bailey

Little Grass Shack

Aloha Oe

Melekalikimaka

Jingle Bells

Aura Lee

Don't Worry be Happy

Pearly Shells V2 (longer version)

Thanks for the list. I've always loved "You Are My Sunshine." In fact that's what we asked the pianist to play at our wedding way back when.

And thanks to Tiki Dave for joining in the discussion. I hope we get to join you some day.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

• 3 weeks later...
For a fun Christmas gift I'm thinking about getting my husband a ukulele to take on our Hawaiian cruise next March. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to purchase? What do they use on the ship? Anyone taken the onboard classes? Thanks

If doing the 15 day cruise to Hawaii, and you are a uke virgin, and want to have your own uke, look at Kala, Makana, or Flea ukuleles. All around $150 for a real musical, quality ukulele, not a toy. Don’t forget to get a case, and digital tuner.

There are uke lessons offers on the Hawaii cruise. They are IMHO just OK lessons. Geared toward beginners. YMMV. ;)

OTOH, DW and I have done two Princess ukulele cruise with ukulele pros Craig Chee and Sarah Maisel. Really great uke players, and patient uke teachers. One cruise to Alaska, another to the Caribbean...all levels of uke players, fom new uke “virgins” to very good players. It was great, with group and optional individual lessons, jam sessions, individual encores, group dinners, and prize drawings. We were surprised at the variety music from Hawaiian, classical, jazz, rock, to hillbilly of the players in our group. We ended the cruise with a uke performance in the Piazza.

http://www.cheemaisel.com/ukulele-cruise

Check out Craig and Sarah’s You Tube videos for their playing styles and genres.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

OP Maybe for Christmas you can give him a "certificate" for X$ toward a uke of his choice while shopping in Hawaii during your cruise.

In fine print you can say something like if he decides it is not for him he can use the value of the certificate for anything of his choosing.

I have done this for Mr Indy before when I wanted to get him something but not sure his idea and my idea were the same. Sometimes he gets what I thought he wanted, other times he gets something totally different that I did not even think about, but we are both happy.

Just a suggestion

OP Maybe for Christmas you can give him a "certificate" for X$ toward a uke of his choice while shopping in Hawaii during your cruise.

In fine print you can say something like if he decides it is not for him he can use the value of the certificate for anything of his choosing.

I have done this for Mr Indy before when I wanted to get him something but not sure his idea and my idea were the same. Sometimes he gets what I thought he wanted, other times he gets something totally different that I did not even think about, but we are both happy.

Just a suggestion

Lovely idea. Thanks.