NCL Spirit Grand Mediterranean

Luz228

Hello!

We are going to the NCL Spirit cruise from Barcelona to Venice on Sept. 6-18, 2016. Our plane is leaving Venice at 12:15PM. They said the ship will overnight in Venice but then it arrives in Venice at 9:30PM on Sept. 17. This do not give us a chance to see Venice at all.

Need any suggestions what to do in order to see Venice on Sept. 18 before our 12:15 PM flight.

Also need recommendations for tour excursions on the following ports - Barcelona, Toulon, Livorno, Civitavecchia, Naples, Mikonos, Dubrovnik, Kotor and of course VENICE.

We really appreciate all your help.

Thank you so much,

Luz228

The simple solution is to stay another night or two in Venice. Your really don't have time to explore wonderful in an hour or two.

As to your ports, we know nothing about you, your interests, your budget or other limitations. Thus, some research is required on your part. Start with the ship's excursions. What interests you? Then some reading on the Ports board, here (which will also help you with your Venice questions):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

All of these will help you narrow down this tremendously broad question.

Hello!

We are going to the NCL Spirit cruise from Barcelona to Venice on Sept. 6-18, 2016. Our plane is leaving Venice at 12:15PM. They said the ship will overnight in Venice but then it arrives in Venice at 9:30PM on Sept. 17. This do not give us a chance to see Venice at all.

Need any suggestions what to do in order to see Venice on Sept. 18 before our 12:15 PM flight.

Also need recommendations for tour excursions on the following ports - Barcelona, Toulon, Livorno, Civitavecchia, Naples, Mikonos, Dubrovnik, Kotor and of course VENICE.

We really appreciate all your help.

Thank you so much,

Luz228

What a bummer that this is a variation itinerary. Agree that you really should schedule some time post cruise to enjoy the city. I am not sure why there is a deviation from the usual cruise schedule with a 2pm arrival. I can't give you help on this super shortened Venice port but you can read my review from this very similar itinerary last year where I give a detailed review with photos of the majority of your ports.

NCL Spirit - Grand Mediterranean - August 2015 - Review with Photos

Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports and read up on what there is to do in your ports, how much you can expect to do in the time you have, and how to do it without an organized tour. As far as Venice, given the time frame, having to be checked in two hours before your flight, you will see a small sliver of Venice on the way to the airport. EM

Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports and read up on what there is to do in your ports, how much you can expect to do in the time you have, and how to do it without an organized tour. As far as Venice, given the time frame, having to be checked in two hours before your flight, you will see a small sliver of Venice on the way to the airport. EM

With a 9:30pm arrival to the port of Venice and a 12:15pm departure the following day this gives literally no time to see the city. The original poster would need to be at the airport no later than 10:15 which means they would need to be at the bus station or taxi no later than 10:15am. If they decide to use public transport getting to the bus terminal would mean getting there at 9:30ish. Even if the OP decided to get up super early this gives no time to see the city.

Agree you won't have time to see anything in Venice that morning. I'm sad for you that they changed the itinerary. Is there any way you can change your flight for a nominal fee?

I've just finished my review of our Spirit cruise here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2361258

When I was planning everything I read all I could find on the Port of Call boards for the various countries. Read Nolatravelgirls review (she linked it above) and the reviews by TMackel and LovingmyLife. Go to the NCL page and click on Spirit and you will find those reviews. The itinerary is different in those reviews because they still went to Turkey. Mine is based on the current itinerary going to Montenegro and Croatia.

The excursions offered by the cruise line let you know what are the hot things to see in each port and then if you are comfortable doing so you can look in those reviews and CC and Trip Advisor to find private tours. The ports of call boards and Rick Steve's can give you tips on doing each port on your own too.

Have fun! I had a blast planning ours!

If you haven't been to Venice before, I agree with other posters that, if at all possible, you should pay the $75 (or whatever your airline charges) to change your flight to a day or 2 later. Venice was truly one of the highlights of this itinerary for us. There will be no time to see much of anything before heading to the airport. If you are not able to extend your visit, get off the ship as soon as you arrive in Venice and head to St. Mark's Square, then wander your way back to the ship, but be aware that the People Mover will be closed so expect a LONG walk.

As for excursions, look at the shore excursions offered by NCL and read any Rick Steves Europe travel book you can get your hands on to get an idea of what's available in each port. Once you get an idea of what you'd like to see/do, head over to the CC Europe boards to learn about private tours that are so much better (and often cheaper) than cruise line tours. Join the roll call for your sailing to see if there are any tours you can join. Finally, read as many reviews as possible. Mine is linked in my signature.

Have fun!!!