Wrinkled clothes

karolm

I have cruised with both Princess and Carnival in the past. On both of my ships I had laundry facilities.

I understand the Oosterdam has no facilities (esp iron).

Is that true?

Does anyone take a travel iron with them?

(like forbidden alcohol)

Thanks,

I hate for my dockers to be wrinkled........

Carol M

You are correct, no self-service laundry facilities onboard the Oosterdam and no iron or ironing boards either. Irons are forbidden on any ship, more so than alcohol. I never travel with any type of iron, but others have used a steamer, which is ok and also the Downey Wrinkle Release sprays they say work well also.

Please, please, do not bring an iron onboard with you, its a big fire hazard.

On 7-10 day cruises there is a package....unlimited pressing, $35. I think that price is reasonable and much better than bringing an iron on board. Stewards are instucted to remove irons if they see them........jean:cool:

I will buy a big bottle of the Downy wrinkle release and also will probably sign up for the week for pressing.

A big THANKS, This forum has such useful info.

Don`t worry I will not bring an iron with my liquor...........

25 days left,

Carol M

:) :cool:

Please tell me where you get "Downey Wrinkle Release Spray" I've looked everywhere in the Ft.Myers, Cape Coral Fl. area & can't find it anymore.. My old one is almost empty..

Thanks & Happy New Year everyone...Betty

P.S. Laugh of the Day: My DH saw the empty spray can & thought It was for me to get rid of MY Wrinkles:( .. Oh do I wish!

Many wrinkles will fall out with just hanging ... especially if you had them hanging in dry-cleaner bags in transit. IF, however, you discover that some wrinkles are not falling out with simple time, try hanging them in your bathroom. Then, when you shower, the steam generated will help the wrinkles fall out.

Note to nit-pickers ... I said "when you shower" ... I didn't tell anyone to waste water by steaming clothing. ;)

use 'space bags'. simply put your items in and use a vaccuum to suck out the air. not only are your clothes wrinkle free, you get an extra 50% in your suitcase. i tried them on my last trip and i was amazed...fine silks and linens came out of the sucked up bag without one wrinkle. spacebag.com.

use 'space bags'. simply put your items in and use a vaccuum to suck out the air. not only are your clothes wrinkle free, you get an extra 50% in your suitcase. i tried them on my last trip and i was amazed...fine silks and linens came out of the sucked up bag without one wrinkle. spacebag.com.

Space Bags are problematic where suits and Tuxedos are concerned. :)

how do you get them re-packed when you are leaving though? If you fill a suitcase from home, all that stuff won't fit without the vacuum bags going home, right? Do you borrow the vacuum from the room steward? inquiring minds want to know. :>

QUOTE:

how do you get them re-packed when you are leaving though? If you fill a suitcase from home, all that stuff won't fit without the vacuum bags going home, right? Do you borrow the vacuum from the room steward? inquiring minds want to know. :>

kitty

Kitty: I use the very large Hefty Ziploc bags, 2 gallon I think, for everything except what would hang in my garment bag. Fold and lay items in a bag such as 4-5 T-shirts/several sweaters/or a lot of underwear, close the zip within a couple inches so that air can escape, sit on the bag, flip it over and sit on it again and all air will be out of the bag, just like creating a vacuum with the space bags. Then zip it all the way. You have nice flat packets which can be easily unpacked directly into the drawer or shelf where you will have them in your cabin.

Clothes are wrinkle-free, you can pack and then repack twice as much with no need for a vacuum cleaner, all like-items are together for easy unpacking, the roll of bags is cheap and are in a box like the regular smaller Hefty Ziplocs and I re-use from cruise to cruise, storing them in my luggage. I found these large Ziplocs at Super Target and still am using the original box I bought many cruises ago, but they may be found in many stores in your area. Best advice I ever read on CC.

Kitty- I too have used ziploc or hefty bags for years. I loved when they got them up to the 2 gallon size. I agree with your total statement. We started using the bags when security started going through the suitcases. I didn't want them messing up our packed bags. So we too put everything in them when we pack the bags. If security spot checks us, they can see through at the contents and you just slip all the bags back in the suitcase and go. Nothing embarassing or out of place. :D

I also have been using the large Hefty bags for years...love them! Did you know they now have 5 gallon size with handles? These are good if you use duffle type of bags which, if set out on a runway could get wet, the bags protect from this. Also great for storing blankets and quilts at home. They come 4-5 to a box and cost around $4.95.....jean:cool:

I've used them, and while they truly save space they thus enable you to easily exceed airline luggage weight requirements (sinice you can place more items in your bags.) Just be careful of that.

Sigh....I used space bags on my way home from the Oosterdam...my carry-ons totaled 60 pounds and my 2 suitcases were 90 pounds each :(

They should allow crew a higher baggage allowance! LOL

Kitty- I too have used ziploc or hefty bags for years. I loved when they got them up to the 2 gallon size. I agree with your total statement. We started using the bags when security started going through the suitcases. I didn't want them messing up our packed bags. So we too put everything in them when we pack the bags. If security spot checks us, they can see through at the contents and you just slip all the bags back in the suitcase and go. Nothing embarassing or out of place. :D

Thanks peaches and liz. I was thinking of using the space bags, but wasn't sure how it would work going home. I'm going to try the sitting on the zip locks trick. Great idea!

Thanks peaches and liz. I was thinking of using the space bags, but wasn't sure how it would work going home. I'm going to try the sitting on the zip locks trick. Great idea!

And you know your bottom won't get any smaller or lighter during the cruise, so there is never a problem repacking those zip bags! :D

I looked for the Downy Wrinkle Release Spray where I live and couldn't find it either. Then I Googled it and you can easily order it online and get a small travel bottle plus very good prices from Downy.com. There is even a $1 coupon they offer. Since we are from a small town I buy mostly from the Internet anyway. Works great and saves gas looking or driving to 'Vegas to shop.

Archived