Verandah rooms VA, VB, VC, etc. What's the difference?

goosecat

In the vista line, the "Verandah ouside" rooms come in VA, VB, VC, VD, VE, and VF. There is up to a $250 dollar difference in price between the different types. What is the difference between these rooms?

I will be going to Alaska likely on the Oosterdam.

I understand that the location of the rooms are different, but what is the difference in the locations? Why would 1 room be a different price than another even if they are on the same deck?

Because HAL believes that cabins located on higher decks are more desirable so they can charge more. Apparently they are right because they charge and receive more money for those cabins. There are some of those cabins that have extended balconies which IMHO would justify a little higher price. Otherwise I chose the cabin I want on the lowest deck on which they are located simple because they are cheaper and there is less movement on those decks. Also, the closer to the middle of the ship, the more desirable the cabin is, according to the cruise line, therefore justifying a higher price. For those susceptible to motion sickness, those cabins are definitely more desirable!.

In the vista line, the "Verandah ouside" rooms come in VA, VB, VC, VD, VE, and VF. There is up to a $250 dollar difference in price between the different types. What is the difference between these rooms?

• 2 weeks later...

Location.

I like the forward VA's and take one on the Rotterdam Deck or whereever the PH is located because I figure I will get the best cabin stewards.

JTL513 - Can I ask where you found the balcony measurements? Also do you know if the balconies are smaller (VE 4/5') will the room be smaller too? I'm concerned our VE 5080 cabin will be too small. THX
I personally measured our VA balcony on the Zuiderdam with a small tape measure that I brought along specifically for that purpose, :D because there have been "estimates" posted on this forum ranging from 5' to 7'. I could look down and see that the VD cabins on deck 4 protruded about 1.5 foot judging by the amount of the hinged part of the partitions that I could see. And finally, A friend who has had both a VB and a VE told me that the VE balcony was about 1.5 foot shallower.

Other than the balcony depth, all side VA through VE cabins are the same. I have been in cabins that are a foot or so shorter inside (on the Lower Promenade of S class ships) and after the "first impression" you hardly notice the difference the rest of the cruise. I don't think that 1.5 foot less balcony is going to appreciably change you enjoyment of the 5080!

• 9 years later...

On the Vista class ships, looking at the deck layout, you will see the deck 5 midship cabins have the deck 4 lifeboats immediately below them. If you are in the cabin, looking straight out, you don't see the lifeboats. But if you are out on your balcony, looking down, maybe trying to view a sailaway band on the dock, or a school of dolphins, all you see are the tops of the big orange lifeboats. Also, you will notice that the deck narrows in the midships area. The balconies in that area are less deep than forward and aft balconies.

We had a guarantee VD grade cabin on the Zuiderdam (Vista class), and we got cabin 6006, all the way forward. Our TA, trying to do us a favour, asked HAL to move us to 5098, right next to the glass elevators. When we boarded and saw the very shallow balcony, barely deep enough for a regular chair, and the huge orange lifeboat immediately below, we pitched a fit. The front desk moved us back to 6006, our original cabin, which by sheer luck, was still available. Cabin 6006 is a VD grade, while 5098 was VA, and more expensive. We were much happier in the VD cabin. See pix below of 5091 (similar to 5098) on the Zuiderdam, showing the lifeboats below and the chairs that have to be turned sideways to allow your feet and legs to fit, when seated.

21294.jpg

my room is a category vh, I dont see it on any of the lists, what does that mean?
On the Vista and Signature class ships all four have slightly smaller balconies than the adjacent VFs because the ship tapers in toward the bow. Otherwise, they are the same as the deck 4 VF and VE.

Because HAL believes that cabins located on higher decks are more desirable so they can charge more.
That was true 10 years ago when you made that post, but now they've decided that it's just the reverse, with high and far forward or aft being ranked as VF or VE! Edited by catl331

• 1 year later...

We have been waiting for our guarantee verandah room and have been told we have a VB 10007 cabin, no idea what it means or if its any good, I do hope so. The Minister of Finance and Intimate Relations won't be happy if it isn't. As they say happy wife Happy life.

Edited by DrChip47

I always understood that for HAL the 2nd letter indicates the desirability/price of a cabin. So VA is "better" than VB and VF than VH.  The same for SA, SB and SC of SS SY and SZ.  Of course, it is their opinion and not necessarily of all passengers.

8 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

I always understood that for HAL the 2nd letter indicates the desirability/price of a cabin. So VA is "better" than VB and VF than VH.  The same for SA, SB and SC of SS SY and SZ.  Of course, it is their opinion and not necessarily of all passengers.

While this is generally true, you have to remember that HAL assigns these rating by group - in other words, for example VAs are generally clustered with other VAs, so sometimes not all VAs are "equal" in the eye of the customer.  

On some of the HAL ships, I would rather have certain SY cabins than SS ones, as some have extended bump out balconies or are in better located (IMO) spots.

In selecting your cabin, you really should do some research beforehand.

Edited by DaveOKC

19 hours ago, DrChip47 said:

We have been waiting for our guarantee verandah room and have been told we have a VB 10007 cabin,

I presume you are on a Vista class ship? There the deck 10 have shallow balconies, about 4.5 ft, and you will get more motion than lower and mid-ship.

53 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

While this is generally true, you have to remember that HAL assigns these rating by group - in other words, for example VAs are generally clustered with other VAs, so sometimes not all VAs are "equal" in the eye of the customer.  

On some of the HAL ships, I would rather have certain SY cabins than SS ones, as some have extended bump out balconies or are in better located (IMO) spots.

In selecting your cabin, you really should do some research beforehand.

That is exactly the reason why I wrote:  "Of course, it is their opinion and not necessarily of all passengers".  And still then: doing your research, choosing the right balcony and location and finally during your cruise it rains a lot or the sun is too hot... 😀

It pays to REALLY look carefully at the deck plans available on HAL's site and others to see what is above you, below you, across the hall from you, etc. LOTS of variables in locations that mean something to one person and not to another. I don't want to be across from the laundry or under the Lido area at all. Others may like the convenience of being on the decks closer to the MDR, etc. To each his own. We choose our cabins carefully and have never been unhappy. We sail in all classes of cabins on HAL...inside "J's" in AK for the darkness and large, open cabin; Signature Suites on longer cruises where we want two desks; plain verandahs on the smaller ships (which have larger cabins as basic verandahs than the larger ships).  Lots of research! Also, Google works as a good search engine for specific cabin numbers on any ship.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/28/2019 at 11:15 PM, catl331 said:

I presume you are on a Vista class ship? There the deck 10 have shallow balconies, about 4.5 ft, and you will get more motion than lower and mid-ship.

Sorry I took so long to answer, and yes you were right with sizes but no problem with motion, and we did have a few rough days. All in all we had a great cabin and a wonderful 24 days

• Like 1