Shopping, Eating and Drinking

SirRedman

Liberty of the Seas (Royal Caribbean)

You will dock at Coxen Hole. Man made port area - not a lot to do outside the port- a few rustic bars.

It has been a few years since we were there but we gave up staying at the port and usually take an excursion, although transport in Roatan is expensive and unregulated in my opinion. We will be on Liberty in a a few weeks and still trying to decide what to do this time.

You will dock at Coxen Hole. Man made port area - not a lot to do outside the port- a few rustic bars.

It has been a few years since we were there but we gave up staying at the port and usually take an excursion, although transport in Roatan is expensive and unregulated in my opinion. We will be on Liberty in a a few weeks and still trying to decide what to do this time.

Thank you~

Take an excursion to the West End or West Bay. Several companies as well as your cruise line with have transportation there and back. Roatan is a very poor island, but a very beautiful tropical jungle surrounded by beautiful beaches and coral reefs. If all you want to do is walk around, shop, and eat, you are missing a wonderful island.

Just my opinion...but I have gone to Roatan 2 times on week-long vacations, and also 3 cruise stops. Love the island.

robin

Take an excursion to the West End or West Bay. Several companies as well as your cruise line with have transportation there and back. Roatan is a very poor island, but a very beautiful tropical jungle surrounded by beautiful beaches and coral reefs. If all you want to do is walk around, shop, and eat, you are missing a wonderful island.

Just my opinion...but I have gone to Roatan 2 times on week-long vacations, and also 3 cruise stops. Love the island.

robin

Only one of us can swim and none of us are very "active". Best safe place to get island-made souvineers?

Rusty Fish in West End and the Made in Roatan shop, apologies I no longer know where it is, are the only two places I know selling local crafts. There are heaps of shops in West End but most of those items come from else where.

Made in Roatan has a website at one point, perhaps you can contact them for info.

If you hire a driver, he know as well.

Rusty Fish in West End and the Made in Roatan shop, apologies I no longer know where it is, are the only two places I know selling local crafts. There are heaps of shops in West End but most of those items come from else where.

Made in Roatan has a website at one point, perhaps you can contact them for info.

If you hire a driver, he know as well.

Thank you very much!

• 6 months later...

We will not be taking an excursion in Roatan but are interested in gong to the West End for shopping and lunch. That way we will be able to see some of the island.

A few questions; is it OK to take a taxi to the West End or should we pre-arrange transportation? Are there shuttles that run at all?

Secondly, can anyone recommend some restaurants there to have lunch; would like one with a Caribbean vibe etc., but any suggestions would be appreciated?

We have not been there before so so not really know what to expect as every place in the Caribbean is different.

Thanks!

Safe sailing!! :cool:

I'd contact Bodden Tours. You can get a personal driver for all day and he will take you anywhere you want to go. For 3 of us it was $30/pp and he will wait for you while you shop. Very reputable company and they will make sure you're back to the ship on time!

We spent a lot of time sightseeing, went to lunch, shopped at the West End and still had time to see the monkeys, parrots and sloths at Boddens.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!