Dressing for dinner?

rjscott

At the risk of opening a can of worms :rolleyes:, I am seeking input on what my fellow travelers are planning to wear for dinner on the Star, both for regular dinners and for the "special" evenings. I know that some of you have cruised with Viking on the river cruises and that the evening dress on the river ships is casual. At the Captain's farewell dinner, people will dress up more, but very few men wore sport coats and women mostly wore dressy pants with a nice top.

Thoughts?

Becki

The info in the FAQs from Viking on the main restaurant is that it's casual - sounded to me that it could be what you wore that day even. Jeans and nice T-shirts sounded to me. I'm planning on changing out of my walking shoes into flats. The specialty restaurants sounded a bit more dressy - so maybe slacks and a blouse - maybe toss on a scarf. Captain's Dinner, same attire with slacks and a blouse and scarf. My husband has no intention of packing a sports coat. But he will wear a collared shirt to all meals. The only question in:rolleyes: my mind is the "celebration" for the Christening. But I'm still so outraged by Viking I'm considering sweat pants and a picket sign reading "Viking is cheating us!" But I'm sure that feeling will pass...:rolleyes:

Lol, Elizabeth. Although we are only on the first segment, I can certainly understand your frustration with Viking's change of the itinerary due to the christening and expecting the passengers to be happy, let alone "celebrate" it.

My husband has taken a sports coat on a couple of our Viking river cruises, but not the last. He will probably just wear a nice shirt and slacks, what he wears to church, for dinners. Even on the river cruises we like to change out of our touring clothes for dinner, just to give them a rest. :)

Becki

Hi Becki and Elizabeth. My husband absolutely hates dressing up, but on our line of choice (similar to Viking Oceans) he wears a nice collared shirt (nice golf shirt or regular button down shirt) with cotton slacks (khakis, I guess?) I wear either nice pants and top or a nice sundress or sometimes something a little dressier for specialty restaurants. If we just go to the buffet (World Cafe), we might just wear whatever we wore during the day. For my husband that's usually jeans and golf or t-shirt and various stuff for me, depending upon the weather and whether I feel like changing.

We're cruising in the early fall, so at least by then we'll have input on what YOU GUYS wore - although in the end it doesn't make that much difference to us, as long as what we plan to wear isn't likely to bring dirty looks or comments!

I notice that the info for the pool grill implies you can wearing bathing suits. I'm kind of hoping that means with a cover up.... but since I imagine Viking Star will have a fairly older crowd, and I will likely only use the pool grill a few times, I'm sure it will be fine!

Roothy,

Well, I for one wouldn't dream of leaving my cabin in my bathing suit without a cover-up, let alone going to the grill. :p But, I'm sure there are some who would proudly stroll around w/o the cover-up and be perfectly comfortable, dirty looks or no. :D

Becki

Roothy,

Well, I for one wouldn't dream of leaving my cabin in my bathing suit without a cover-up, let alone going to the grill. :p But, I'm sure there are some who would proudly stroll around w/o the cover-up and be perfectly comfortable, dirty looks or no. :D

Becki

I've even been known to go a whole cruise without getting in the pool or spa pool, even in the Caribbean, so you'll definitely not catch me eating there without a cover-up!

I notice the main pool is heated and will be open at night - I MAY have to sneak out there one night, as I've never cruised on a ship with heated pool. Might be nice in the moonlight if they leave that cover off..

Maybe its a Brit thing, but I for one will normally be wearing a jacket for dinner, even in the main restaurant, although it will probably end up on the back of the chair if acridness too warm. As for Mrs P, who am I to suggest what a woman will wear from day to day!

Ok, one problem. On my birthday night I expect, no demand, you all dress in formal wear! There is dry cleaning on board, so no excuses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Glad to comply. And, may I have your cabin # for the dry cleaning bill? :p

Becki

Speaking of birthdays, do we know if Viking will do anything special for that? I remember a birthday cake for my husband on a river cruise. Would you assume the same thing for their ocean cruises? I don't really know why I'm asking, as we'll be 2 weeks past our anniversary, and 3 weeks past my husband's birthday, but maybe we'll cheat a little...

Neil, some of us don't like to dress up, but at least we (I think, anyway) have no problem with others dressing up. And no, don't tell your wife what to wear! I don't tell my husband what to wear and vice versa, and it works just great!

PopsA & Becki, you guys are too much!

Ruth

Glad to comply. And, may I have your cabin # for the dry cleaning bill? :p

Becki

I don't think the Owners Suite has a number. Just reference Torstein and bill what ever you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of Torstein Hagen (or his daughter), are you going to invite them for a cocktail or dinner if they happen to sail one of the legs of the maiden voyage? Would you settle for pleasant chit-chat or have something substantial to say. Just asking.

He's widely quoted as saying he wants thinkers not drinkers on his ocean ships. Be careful what you ask for, Mr. Hagen.

Mr Hagen may prefer thinkers than drinkers but then again....there is nothing worse than a thinking drinker.....just sayin:cool:

Would a muu muu be adequate in the pool without a cover up?? Then could go straight to the dining room:p

We will probably mix it up a little on evening attire. If it has been a really long day, and we are eating in the main dining room, it could be a quick change or not! We generally like to change from our touring clothes - but I must say it might be really nice not to feel like we 'have to' if we don't feel like it.

That said, my husband generally has a collared shirt on for excursions and always for evening.

Specialty restaurants - we kind of enjoy bumping it up a bit on our dress - whether that means a sports coat for my DH or not will tell. I think that we will be in for cooler type of weather, which will mean clothing that will take up more suitcase space!

So in the end....that might be the true deciding factor!!!!