• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

I just found this thread --I am interested in a visit to the Princes Rd Synagogue.

Any information on how to arrange would be helpful.

arl_nocaps

http://www.princesroad.org/

Any help to you? :)

There's more information on their Facebook page.https://www.facebook.com/PrincesRoadSynagogue

Edited by turnip eater

There's more than one Synagogue in Liverpool. The oldest, and the one which attracts most visitors is the Princes Road Synagogue which is in the Toxteth area of Liverpool. It's not near St George's Hall and I would suggest taking a taxi if you want to visit there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Let me know if anyone is still reading this thread. I't's been very quiet this year. Maybe it's run its course now? :)

Just looked at this thread today, as we'll have a stop in Liverpool on our Azamara cruise in July. My husband will be spending the day at the British Open, so I'll be on my own.

I'm assuming the recommendations from the first post are still good, but boy, I just don't have the time to read through all the pages! I've looked at the last few to see if anything new has popped up in terms of suggested tour companies, etc.

Just looked at this thread today, as we'll have a stop in Liverpool on our Azamara cruise in July. My husband will be spending the day at the British Open, so I'll be on my own.

I'm assuming the recommendations from the first post are still good, but boy, I just don't have the time to read through all the pages! I've looked at the last few to see if anything new has popped up in terms of suggested tour companies, etc.

If you need to know anything ask away as I'm in Liverpool x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you need to know anything ask away as I'm in Liverpool x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In terms of taking in the major tourist attractions I would aim for the Albert Dock and perhaps the ho-ho bus.

But as a lady on her own you might be tempted by the shopping opportunities in the City Centre.

You could also take a return trip on the "Ferry Cross the Mersey"

• 1 month later...

Good to see some activity on the thread and some new faces posting replies. Visiting Liverpool from our cruise terminal is only going to get better, especially when the turnaround cruise terminal opens. Hope you all enjoy your visits.

The British Open? I guess you mean The Open Championship at Royal Birkdale. How will your husband be getting there? On a ship's excursion or making his own way?

• 1 month later...

TownCarT: I was just directed to your post here by someone who really enjoyed your tips. I realize this was posted a while ago and we will be in your beautiful town in August. Any special tips or new items that we should consider. Myself, my husband (60s) and my son and his girlfriend (30s) will be travelling together.

From what I read here, this is an easy walking town but I'd love to have your input if anything has changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Looking forward to our visit in June. I use a mobility scooter on the ship and am hoping to use it in Liverpool. I'm hoping I can get to the Albert Dock and the Museums there as well as a river cruise. Are there any other places nearby that you can suggest? It's wonderful how much help and advice you share. Thank you.

Hi! Looking forward to our visit in June. I use a mobility scooter on the ship and am hoping to use it in Liverpool. I'm hoping I can get to the Albert Dock and the Museums there as well as a river cruise. Are there any other places nearby that you can suggest? It's wonderful how much help and advice you share. Thank you.

Much depends on your interests but the Albert Dick is a good starting Point.

Liverpool has two Cathedrals Anglican and Roman Catholic both of which are within walking (or Scootering) distance of Albert Dock, each being at an opposite end of Hope Street.

If you are a fan of the Beatles the Beatles trail starts from the Albert Dock. http://www.gpsmycity.com/tours/the-beatles-trail-tour-in-liverpool--part-i-4917.html

The whole trail is 5.6 kilometres which is probably too far but as you can see from the map there are a cluster of interest points fairly near to the Albert Dock.

You are also within easy distance of the City shopping Centre should you need any retail therapy .

The British Open? I guess you mean The Open Championship at Royal Birkdale. How will your husband be getting there? On a ship's excursion or making his own way?

We are also in town that weekend on Celebrity and going to the course either on Saturday or Sunday ( or both if get the urge).

Celebrity offers an excursion that is ridiculously expensive. We are going to task the train!

There is also fireworks on Sunday night at the docks.

There is a new Museum of British Music in the Cunard Building. Not cheap (16 pounds per person) but interesting if you are a fan of British music. Next door, you can walk into the Port of Liverpool Building (once the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board) just to see the beautiful lobby and stained glass windows. A little further along is the Museum of Liverpool Life (free). The Panoramic 34 Bar and Restaurant (easy walk from cruise terminal, opposite direction to all the above) has the most spectacular views over the city, and far beyond. They do full table service, bar lunches and a nice afternoon tea. Even WITHOUT a cruise ship in port you would probably NOT get in without reservations so I would not advise just showing up - however, reservations can be made online. As previously mentioned, the two cathedrals are well worth a visit but it is a LONG trek uphill so I would advise getting a taxi to one or the other then walking along Hope Street to the second one.

The Albert Dock is anchored by the Beatles Museum, the Maritime Museum and the Tate Gallery but most of the nice shops are gone. Several places there to eat.

If you are interested in a very traditional pub (no frills) try the Caernarvon Castle in Tarleton Street (just off the main shopping area in Church Street, immediately before you get to Marks and Spencer store). Very small but does good beer and you can get a sandwich for lunch. One poster asked about Boots the Chemist - there is one near the corner of Church Street and Whitechapel that is a little closer to the cruise terminal than the larger branch in Clayton Square.

For a haven of quiet and world class art there is the Walker Art Gallery (walking distance). The Bluecoat Chambers (again, off Church Street) and surrounding small art shops and galleries are good for one of a kind, locally produced pieces.

I'm from Liverpool, and was there just last week visiting family and doing some tourist things, so I know that all these places are open and available for visitors.

We will be visiting for one day 17 August 2017 on the Celebrity Silhouette - we will be in port from 0700 (7 am) to 1800 (6 pm).

What type of climate shall we expect? We are from the Northeast Region of the USA and it is typically hot here this time of year anywhere from 80-100 F ( roughly 32 C)- is the weather about the same there?

I have copied and pasted the earlier walking description by Towncar T an want to say Thank you! How wonderful that a "local" took the time to give tips to fellow cruisers! It looks like most things that we would be interested in are in a walk-able distance from the ship - ie Beatles Story and the Mersey Ferry. Being a teenager when the Beatles "invaded" the USA it would be fun to see their story where it all started!

Thanks for helping all of us tourists!

Cindi

TownCarT: I was just directed to your post here by someone who really enjoyed your tips. I realize this was posted a while ago and we will be in your beautiful town in August. Any special tips or new items that we should consider. Myself, my husband (60s) and my son and his girlfriend (30s) will be travelling together.

From what I read here, this is an easy walking town but I'd love to have your input if anything has changed.

Hi. Sorry I missed your post. CC doesn't notify me now when there's a post. The good news is that everything is still here and you are correct that Liverpool is an easy town to get around on foot. I'll keep an eye on this thread from now on

We are also in town that weekend on Celebrity and going to the course either on Saturday or Sunday ( or both if get the urge).

Celebrity offers an excursion that is ridiculously expensive. We are going to task the train!

There is also fireworks on Sunday night at the docks.

The train is really easy to get. Just a short walk from the ship. I'd definitely suggest going on the dya that your ship is docked overnight, as the crowds coming back into the city will be huge and you could be delayed. No pressure if you're staying overnight. I think I'll be visiting with some friends on the Friday or maybe just the practice days. Not sure yet. It won't be cheap to get in (I think I paid £75 for a day ticket at Hoylake a couple of years ago).

We will be visiting for one day 17 August 2017 on the Celebrity Silhouette - we will be in port from 0700 (7 am) to 1800 (6 pm).

What type of climate shall we expect? We are from the Northeast Region of the USA and it is typically hot here this time of year anywhere from 80-100 F ( roughly 32 C)- is the weather about the same there?

I have copied and pasted the earlier walking description by Towncar T an want to say Thank you! How wonderful that a "local" took the time to give tips to fellow cruisers! It looks like most things that we would be interested in are in a walk-able distance from the ship - ie Beatles Story and the Mersey Ferry. Being a teenager when the Beatles "invaded" the USA it would be fun to see their story where it all started!

Thanks for helping all of us tourists!

Cindi

Hi. Weather is never to be relied upon here. You can get 4 seasons in one day, and we often do! The trick is ALWAYS bring lots of layers, including a thin waterproof coat. Oh yes, and an umbrella! We have friends from New York with us right now and that's exactly what they've done. It's the only way to go with the British weather. :) And you're welcome to the help. Love my city!