Experience with motion on Escape

cubsfan2008

Gonna be boarding the escape in a couple weeks and was wondering what everyone's experience was with the motion on this boat. I have heard you feel it more on this shop. I have sailed on the Carnival Liberty and Splendor and did OK without any meds.

Did you take anything to help with any motion sickness? What is the best to take if you plan on consuming alcohol in the evenings? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Edited by cubsfan2008

I was on the TA with pretty rough seas and high winds, so at the time I chalked the excessive motion up to that. We definitely felt like a cork bobbing all over the place until we got about 2 or 3 days from Miami. Thankfully, I've never had motion sickness issues, and found the rocking to be kinda relaxing lol, but I know there were a lot of issues with seasickness on board.

Now, reading some of the recent reviews, it does look like the Escape has a bit of an issue with motion even around the Caribbean, which is unusual. I would say, if you are worried about getting sick and want to drink and not fall asleep on the bar at night, go with sea bands. Unlike a lot of the meds, they won't make you drowsy...I obviously can't speak personally to their efficacy, but from those I've known that have used them, they seem to work....

Gonna be boarding the escape in a couple weeks and was wondering what everyone's experience was with the motion on this boat. I have heard you feel it more on this shop. I have sailed on the Carnival Liberty and Splendor and did OK without any meds.

Did you take anything to help with any motion sickness? What is the best to take if you plan on consuming alcohol in the evenings? Thanks in advance for any replies.

We were on the Escape last December and my daughter and I are prone to motion sickness/sea sickness. We came prepared with Dramamine and Sea bands for my daughter. I never took the medicine and I was fine.

We can feel the motion but never felt seasick. I think the location of the room helps. Our room was on Deck 10.

My daughter actually got very seasick during out ferry ride to The Baths! She needed the barf bag!

Just got off saturday. The ship movement can be felt a lot. None of our party got sick sick from that, but quite a few of us had uneasy stomach's. Let me tell you drunk spins on a moving boat though is like a nightmare that won't end, so until you get your sea legs after a day or two don't burn the candle too brightly that first night or two (I know from experience man).

We went with scopolamine patches which worked well (dry mouth side effect is a good excuse to have a drink), and these chewable meclizine tablets. Both worked fine.

What is the general consensus about movement at the AFT balcony rooms? We have a deck 14 AFT room book and I'm not concerned about myself but the Mrs. has the tendency to get motion sickness. We've cruised on the Epic a few times when it was sailing in the Caribbean without any problems. We were deck 10 mid ship which was fine and deck 14 fwd where we did feel a little movement in comparison to deck 10; although it was subtle and kind of soothing in a way.

I was nervous and had the choice to book an aft balcony or mid ship mini suite, and I went with the mid ship mini as I did not want to risk it. We normally sailed aft on the past 2 cruises, but I was worried about the reports of motion, coupled with the fact the aft balcony didn't appear top much larger like on other ships.

We just got off on Saturday and yes you can really feel movement a lot. We had an inside and an Aft balcony on deck 12. I can say our balcony was a nice size (had 2 chairs, a small table and 2 loungers) but definitely smaller than the Aft balcony on deck 9 of the Getaway.

Thank you everyone.

I look forward to the continued feedback on this, especially those who have had AFT rooms on the Escape and other ships like the Epic and the Aways.

I know there are many other contributors that can cause added motion but with all the similar reports, it sounds like the Escape may be more susceptible to added motion than other ships close to its size.

What aft did you have on 12? I have 12308 in a couple of months - would love to see any pics?? Bed near balcony or closet? Soot? Noise?

We actually had 12308 lol!! The bed was near the balcony. I have a few pics so let me see if I can attach them. No problems with soot or noise so that was good.

ImageUploadedByForums1452560159.815543.jpg.bb204f7c6145b0f4aeb9a1e47e76b4f6.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1452560141.543623.jpg.6a2449b86aa1c08d4c874d3cad98eda4.jpg

I get motion sickness on every ship. I have tried Bonine, ginger pills but they didn't work for me. The Gravol did but I kept falling a sleep especially after a drink. I found Cocculine at the health food store and it works great. Have taken it for our last two cruises and boating during the summer and it works everytime.

we just returned saturday.

deck 11 stern 11318

there was motion port to starboard the entire trip.

light seas 1 to 4 ft waves , wind 19 to 25 knots

I was told the ship is 40 ft narrower and higher than there other ships so there was a lot of movement. You could feel it every night and during the day as well.

It made for some interesting walking late into the evening.

Just got off yesterday (1/16) and we had 12292 angled balcony as far back as you can get towards the aft and boy did you feel the motion. My inlaws had an inside midship and you could feel it there too. Honestly, you could feel the motion everywhere. My husband isn't usually bothered by it, but this trip even he got queasy one evening. We felt the "motion of the ocean" much more on this ship than the Jewel class ships or even Getaway.

Yep, got off yesterday and with fairly easy seas, there was noticable motion everywhere. Neither of us are that prone to motion sickness, so were okay. However, we had a forward cabin (one of the front facing oceanviews) on deck 11 and woke up many night due to motion.

we just returned saturday.

deck 11 stern 11318

there was motion port to starboard the entire trip.

light seas 1 to 4 ft waves , wind 19 to 25 knots

I was told the ship is 40 ft narrower and higher than there other ships so there was a lot of movement. You could feel it every night and during the day as well.

It made for some interesting walking late into the evening.

Where did you get that incorrect info from??? The Escape is approx 6' wider then her siblings.

Ugh I'm wishing I didn't read this post! We are sailing on July 31 on Escape; staying in the Haven. We had a horrible time on Epic; my husband had said that was because of how tall they built it so I was hoping that Escape would be better. This will be our first cruise over summer months; but it did seem like our Dec/Jan cruises have been more rocky so I'm praying that we will be ok. For the Epic; I used sea bands, scopolamine patches, and Bonine but basically just laying in bed was my only relief. My daughter found an oil to run behind her ears and that was pretty effective as long as she laid down also. We were in bed right after dinner every night. Thanks for the suggestions; I will try anything to feel better! The funny thing, my first ever cruise in Jan 2007 on Jewel, even the captain/crew were sick from the huge waves but haha I did well on that one, maybe because of all the alcohol! This one has a margaritaville so that may not be a problem!

We sailed in a forward penthouse on the 14th floor from 1/9 - 1/16. No problems with seasickness. There were four people in our party, with two prone to motion issues, but no problem on the Escape and no need for pills or patches.

Nice to know, thanks.

Ugh I'm wishing I didn't read this post! We are sailing on July 31 on Escape; staying in the Haven. We had a horrible time on Epic; my husband had said that was because of how tall they built it so I was hoping that Escape would be better. This will be our first cruise over summer months; but it did seem like our Dec/Jan cruises have been more rocky so I'm praying that we will be ok. For the Epic; I used sea bands, scopolamine patches, and Bonine but basically just laying in bed was my only relief. My daughter found an oil to run behind her ears and that was pretty effective as long as she laid down also. We were in bed right after dinner every night. Thanks for the suggestions; I will try anything to feel better! The funny thing, my first ever cruise in Jan 2007 on Jewel, even the captain/crew were sick from the huge waves but haha I did well on that one, maybe because of all the alcohol! This one has a margaritaville so that may not be a problem!

I also wish I hadn't read this post. I was hoping for no rocking. So happens my first cruise was on the Jewel in 2007 :) I don't remember motion the week we went.

Where did you get that incorrect info from??? The Escape is approx 6' wider then her siblings.

It's because some document in the cabin has ship stats and for the Away class they include the lifeboats, whereas for the Escape the figure is at the waterline.

You are correct that the Escape is wider but unfortunately the misinformation is starting to get established and keeps cropping up.

One person got quite upset about it in a thread last year.

Breakaway:

Tonnage: 144,017 GT

Length: 325.7 m (1,069 ft)

Beam:

39.7 m (130.2 ft) - At Waterline

52.67 m (172.8 ft) - Lifeboats/Tenders

Height: 54.5 m (179 ft)

Draft: 8.8 m (29 ft)

Escape:

Tonnage: 164,600 GT[2]

Length: 326 metres (1,069 ft)[2]

Beam: 136 feet (41.5 m)[2]

Draft: 28 feet (8.5 m)[2]

We sailed on the Escape in Dec. There is no denying it - we felt every wave on this cruise. In saying that, I was really concerned about it as my daughter gets motion sickness on cruises. We came prepared with sea bands and motion sickness meds and started her on that the night before and zero issues with her. You could feel the motion but it wasn't "rough" and uncomfortable. My sister in law felt queasy quite a bit but as long as she faced the way the boat was moving while eating, sitting and relaxing etc she was able to really control the sickness.

We sailed in a forward penthouse on the 14th floor from 1/9 - 1/16. No problems with seasickness. There were four people in our party, with two prone to motion issues, but no problem on the Escape and no need for pills or patches.

We were neighbors then! We were in a forward facing ocean-view, 14704. We felt a lot of motion in our room, much more than on any other ship either of us have ever been on. Neither of us are prone to sea-sickness, but alcohol mixed with the motion the day after we left Miami left us both under the weather. There is no reason that NCL couldn't have made a ship that doesn't rock the way this one does. By the third day we got our sea legs though, and it got much easier to move about the ship, but you still feel the motion wherever you go. On the other hand, that room was very nice, had beautiful views and a HUGE amount of storage (especially because of the bump-out bench under the window). Even with the motion, this ship was still the most beautiful and wonderful ship we have ever sailed.