Florence from Livorno

sandian

I wonder if I can ask for some advice please, we will be a party of three adults and are concerned about doing Florence on our own because of the time involved in travelling by train.

We will be on independence of the seas and there are a few excursions we can take, Florence on your own, or a part guided tour and part on your own or fully guided. My question is what would you do? We have not been to Florence before.

Thanks in advance for any guidance, We will be doing Rome on our own as it seems fairly straightforward.

If you are going to have "concerns" and ruminate about taking the train (which actually takes no longer then the cruise line bus) then you can either book the cruise line transfer or hire a taxi. Of course all the options except for the train are going to be quite expensive.

Hank

I'm not sure why you would think Florence is more complicated by public transit than Rome. The train ride time is about the same: the regional trains to Rome take between 70 - 90 minutes, while the regional trains to Florence take 80 mintes.

Getting to the train station in Livorno can be a little more complicated than Civitavecchia, but at Livorno you have the option of a cab that you can get right at the ship.

Florence itself is more compact than Rome, and lends itself easily to DIY touring.

I don't understand about the time a train requires. Trains don't stop at lights or get caught in traffic. Generally (except for the very slow trains) travel by train is quicker than travel by bus. It's easy to get to Florence from Livorno by train, and you can catch a cab to the train station long before the tours get organized to leave.

Whatever option you choose, to do either Rome or Florence on your own you need to have a plan-including a good map and of course good walking shoes. Rome is, as you say, straightforward and very visual, but do no underestimate how large and spread out it is. It requires alot of walking or use of the subway or taxi (or a tour) if you want to see most of the sights. You need a plan for Florence too-it is smaller and alot of pedestrian areas, and advance museum tickets if you want to see the Uffizi or David. Make the best use of your time so you can see as much as possible.

Hi..

We did Florence as a DIY last year and had a wonderful time..We shared a cab from the ship to station..4€ per person..Caught the 8:10am train..arrived Florence @ 9:30 and returned to Livorno on the 3:27pm train..

We are returning to Florence in September and will take the train again with a stop in Pisa to see the leaning tower..

Carol

I'm terribly conscious of the fact this question may have previously been asked somewhere on the forum before but...

With regards to getting the train from Livorno... does it depend on which cruise company you are with as to whether or not there will be buses tansfering you to the station?

And if you are going to get a taxi... is it something that needs to be pre ordered or do you pick it up at the cruise port? Any idea of the cost of a taxi?

There will always be a shuttle bus because the port does not allow pedestrians to walk in the area. What varies is how much is charged for the shuttle bus, that seems to vary by cruise line.

The shuttle buses do not take you all the way to the train station, they drop off at Piazza Municipio in town, from there you can walk (about a mile and a half), take a cab, or take the public bus.

Taxis are generally available at the ship, the trip to the train station last summer was 20 Euro per cab, regardless of the number of passengers.

I'm terribly conscious of the fact this question may have previously been asked somewhere on the forum before but...

With regards to getting the train from Livorno... does it depend on which cruise company you are with as to whether or not there will be buses tansfering you to the station?

And if you are going to get a taxi... is it something that needs to be pre ordered or do you pick it up at the cruise port? Any idea of the cost of a taxi?

I was there last summer, cabs were on the dock, it was a short walk, from off the ship, to a cab.

IF you get off early with the "crowd", just hook up with others, for a cab to the train station. The Shuttle, still had a walk from it's drop off and it is well worth the cost of cab for a direct transit. We had 5 people for 20 euros cab fare, each way. VERY cheap day, compared to the ship "do your own" tour, which was over $100pp on NCL.

Not to hijack - but to make sure you are back on the ship by 6:30 pm for both Florence and Rome which train time should you be working for? We did the train from Florence last year, but I can't remember if it was 3:30 or 4:30. I think I read from Hank that you don't want the last train as it is more difficult to get a Taxi at the train station.

A half hour is as close as I'd be willing to cut it, and even that's a tad risky.

So, looking at 6 PM as the latest you'd want get back to Livorno Centrale, your options are a 4:27 that arrives at 5:50, or the one just prior to that, the 3:27 that arrives at 4:50.

If you take a taxi to the station in the morning, you could try arranging with that driver to be there to get you at the end of the day, by agreeing to pay more than the typical fare (say, 30 Euro vs. 20, or even 40). It's still a lot less than your other options, but provides some assurance and can lessen the anxiety associated with taking the later train.

Yeah, guess we have posted that info a few times :). Getting from Civitavecchia to the port is easy since its a short 10 min walk to the port entrance where there are free shuttle buses to the various ships. But Livorno is a constant problem since you will need a taxi to get back to the port from train station (much to far to walk). There are only a few taxis that service the train station so it is necessary to be one of the first off the train and then you need to hurry through the station and out the front doors so you can be one of the first at the taxi queue. If you fail to get one of those few taxis you are going to get quite nervous as you wait (and pray) that a taxi will soon return to the station. This is the main reason we strongly suggest not taking the last train to Livorno. As to making prior arrangements with a taxi in the morning, this is also risky since the taxi may or may not show-up depending on whether he gets a better fare.

Hank

Thanks - they have already changed our departure times for both Livorno and Civitavecchia a few times. I expect if we are back on board by 6 or 6:30 we will be fine either way. I would hope that if we get back at 5:50 we should be able to hop into a taxi (even if we have to share with others heading back to the cruise terminal) and be back in time for the 7pm departure. If I remember correctly the taxi ride to the ship is not that long a trip. But to be safe we will look at the 3:27 - I think that is the one we took the last time. We did RIL for Rome last year, so this will be our first train to Rome for DYI. I am not sure about following the herd since I am usually off the ship as soon as she docks:) But we are up for an adventure, will have our passports and if we miss the ship, there is always the night train:D Always got to have a positive attitude with travel:)

Yowza! I would NOT take my passport off the ship! Take a color copy but leave the original in your safe. Passports are the #1 target for pickpockets, and believe me there are many in Rome (and Florence) in the summertime. If you plan appropriately you will be just fine. We always plan to take the train BEFORE the last one and have never had a problem.

Cathy - DH will NOT get off the ship without our passports - after 32 years I let him have this one. In fact, on our Alaska cruise for an excursion that went into Canada, they wouldn't let you on the excursion without your passport. Needless to say, he was thrilled;) But in Europe he does keep them in a moneybelt under his clothes, and he never takes anything out of the moneybelt in public while traveling. We are pretty seasoned travelers and have never had a problem. We have been approached by scam artists, of course, but no worries. In fact, they make up some of our best stories:) We have never missed a plane or a train, but we always plan for contingencies.

Hi..

We did Florence as a DIY last year and had a wonderful time..We shared a cab from the ship to station..4€ per person..Caught the 8:10am train..arrived Florence @ 9:30 and returned to Livorno on the 3:27pm train..

We are returning to Florence in September and will take the train again with a stop in Pisa to see the leaning tower..

Carol

I had heard it was difficult to get a taxi at the port and was worried about waiting on the shuttle then finding our way to the station. But if we can get a taxi to the station then we wont have a problem doing Florence on our own. Thanks for that info.

Another option, if you have a cell phone with you that works in Italy, is to write down the phone numbers for the radio taxis that service the train station (you will find it posted there) when you are there in the morning, then call to order a taxi as your train approaches Livorno on the way back. Again, this will cost more than simply grabbing a taxi at the station (because you pay for the time it takes for them to drive to the station), but you'll have the assurance of a ride.

I admit that there is some risk that a cab driver you make an arrangement with in the morning won't be there, but if your plan is to wait and just grab a cab anyway, what harm is there in making the arrangement? If it falls through, you're back to where you would have been anyway.

As long as I have a reasonable fallback plan, I'm willing to look for the best in people and assume they'll keep their word. (Although I guess having a fallback plan at all already assumes there's a chance that they won't ...)

Thanks - they have already changed our departure times for both Livorno and Civitavecchia a few times. I expect if we are back on board by 6 or 6:30 we will be fine either way. I would hope that if we get back at 5:50 we should be able to hop into a taxi (even if we have to share with others heading back to the cruise terminal) and be back in time for the 7pm departure. If I remember correctly the taxi ride to the ship is not that long a trip. But to be safe we will look at the 3:27 - I think that is the one we took the last time. We did RIL for Rome last year, so this will be our first train to Rome for DYI. I am not sure about following the herd since I am usually off the ship as soon as she docks:) But we are up for an adventure, will have our passports and if we miss the ship, there is always the night train:D Always got to have a positive attitude with travel:)

Dalgirl, you certainly are a bigger risk taker then moi. First you are assuming that a train due to arrive at 5:50 will actually be on time...and this is not always the case. You are correct that it takes about 10 - 15 min to get from the station to the port (depending on the traffic). But, if you are sitting at the station at 6pm without a taxi in sight it will be a real test of your nerves. We know because it has happened to us. As to passports, after more then 40 years of European travel we have learned to never carry our passports. We always leave them locked securely in a safe be it on the ship or in a hotel. We do carry photo copies of our main passport page. If you would miss the ship you still do not need a passport as long as your are within the EU. By the way, there is a protocol for missing the ship (besides crying). Always have the name and phone number of the ships' agent so you can call them if you are going to miss the ship. They will notify the ship so that they understand the situation. In fact, if you really did need a passport that is locked in your room safe the agent can arrange to get the passport and get it to you at an agreed meeting point.

Hank

Hi..

Our experience in April 2009:

Taxi at shipside..There appeared to be one man directing people to the taxis..There were a number of taxis waiting and as one filled..8 passengers..they started filling the next cab..Very smooth operation and we arrived at the train station in time to catch the 8:10am train..Oh..the ticket agent spoke excellent English..always a plus...

We returned to Livorno on the 3:27 train..The later train should be saved as an emergency plan..Upon arrival in Livorno..once again, there was a line of taxis waiting and a 'guy' was efficiently filling each one...We literally stepped off the train, walked through the station and crawled into a taxi..I realize this senario might be the exception rather than the norm but we certainly appreciated the quick and easy transfers...Hope for the same when we visit Florence in September..

Whether to carry an original vs copy of your passport is a personal decision..I prefer to leave my original in our safe..I do carry a copy and my driver's license..

Wishing everyone safe journey where ever a ship, bus train may take you..

Carol

Thanks Carol - that is good to know. And Hank, I am totally with you, but DH is adamant - he is usually an easy going traveler, but he will not leave the ship in Europe without his passport:rolleyes: He is fine leaving it locked in the hotel safe on land or on the ship in the Carribbean, but he will not leave it on the ship in Europe. And unless a thief can tackle his 6'2", 190 lb frame (still works out at 52), reached down into is pants, unhook his money belt and run off (now that would be a hilarious scene), they will never get our passports:D And we always take the port contact information. And we always take the 2nd to last train (the last is a true emergency, as in I am being carried on his back and the train doors close just as we reach them....). But we will be leasing a car in Monaco and driving to Nice and maybe beyond (and we always get lost at least once), and taking trains in Florence and Rome, and who knows what can happen... so we try to be as prepared are possible and realize that unless someone dies, it will all come out right in the end... nothing that a little patients and a higher credit card bill can't cure:)

Hi Dalgal..

Preparation is the key to a successful adventure no matter where it takes place..I also understand the unexpected can occur and we have a contingency plan..My sister and I have had wonderful times experiencing local cultures and lifestyles on our DIY Adventures..Our upcoming cruise will have a combination of private and DIY tours..We are looking forward to our 31 day adventure and the memories we will bring home..

Carol

Whether to carry an original vs copy of your passport is a personal decision..I prefer to leave my original in our safe..I do carry a copy and my driver's license..

The Ruby Princess is making passengers surrender their passports in on the first day (before Athens) and did not returns ours until the day before the last port. This may become more commonplace among other cruiselines.

We just got back from our Med cruise and did several private roll call excursions. We did DIY for the original embarcation (Venice) and disembarcation (Barcelona) ports. Now that we are more comfortable with the layouts of these cities and ports (and won't be doing Venice next time), we are bringing our kids next summer and will be doing DIY in Florence and other ports. I will just have to come up with a good enough of an itinerary to keep a 13 year old girl and an 11 year old boy engaged in Florence. I think it is easier in Rome and other ports to do that.

We will be doing the Venice, Athens, Efesus cruise in May and I will start planning that when we return in November - and we are doing the exact same Med Nov. cruise again October 2011 (3 times in 3 years!) But the Oct 2011 cruise will be with my DM, so only florence will be DIY. We should be experts by then....I hope:)

... If you would miss the ship you still do not need a passport as long as your are within the EU. ...

This is not true. The very moment you need to catch a flight you do need your passport.

... Always have the name and phone number of the ships' agent so you can call them if you are going to miss the ship. They will notify the ship so that they understand the situation. ...

Calling the ship's agent can indeed help. A captain who knows in which difficulties you are and when you can be expected is more likely to wait for you for a short time.

... In fact, if you really did need a passport that is locked in your room safe the agent can arrange to get the passport and get it to you at an agreed meeting point. ...

Well, this is something you can believe and trust in, or not ...

dalgirl, I applaude for understanding the importance of a passport. He is probably very well aware of the fact that the only internationally valid proof of identity and entitlement of rights is your passport. Not a photocopy.

Yet, finally, of course it is true:

... Whether to carry an original vs copy of your passport is a personal decision ...

and your personal responsibility to bear the consequences.

Carl, You do have a good point when it comes to flying. But, most of the time somebody is trying to catch a missed ship its a simple matter of grabbing a train. On the other hand, if they miss the ship in Malta then they do have a real problem :)

Hank

Archived