Bringing wine onboard in Venice

Marcus305

It is my understanding that Celebrity generally allows you to bring 2 (750 ml) bottles of wine onboard per cabin at the time of embarkation.

(1) Am I likely to encounter any difficulty bringing wine onboard (to consume in my cabin) when embarking in Venice? (I wasn't sure if the rules differ when cruising from Italy)

(2) Do I need to have the wine with me when I am getting onboard for the first time, or can I check-in, drop off my luggage, have lunch, etc. and then get back off the ship to purchase wine in Venice to bring back on the ship?

Thanks!!

After going through port security with my one bottle of wine, I asked a Celebrity crew member, if there was a wine store nearby. He informed me that it was against Celebrity policy to bring wine on board. I wish I had printed off their policy from their website to tell him he was wrong.

I had no problems going through the ship security with my bottle of wine.

I recently sent this email to Celebrity:

Hello,

Since Celebrity is introducing new cruises: http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/searchResultsVacationItinerary.do?packageid=CS12M307&dest=EUROP&shipCode=CS

Will they be lifting the strict ban on bringing wine onboard for immediate consumption at port calls? The one thing I like about visiting ports of call is sampling regional wines often from the vineyard itself…it would be nice if I could bring a bottle of something I liked onboard with me to enjoy while cruising. Afterall, Celebrity has tailored the cruise around the wine regions.

Thank you,

We were 2 couples boarding and we had bought 4 bottles of wine....2 for each cabin as Celebrity said is allowed. My DH happened to be the one carring all 4 bottles when we boarded. He put the bottles thru the xray machine, picked them up at the other end...no one paid any attention. When he was handed his glass of champane, he had to shift the 4 bottles in order to accept the glass. After we settled in, we then went back into Venice and bought 4 more bottles of wine and did the same thing. So I think it depends on the ship, perhaps on the day...and if the 'moon is in the 7th house'.

A little more!

Host Andy contacted Celebrity, and posted this reply:

-- Will the Guest policy concerning bringing Wine onboard, be relaxed for these sailings ?

Yes. We recognize that guests may be eager to purchase wine while visiting these wonderful wine producing regions. In fact, we have made a change that considers all the wine cruise sailings we offer. The modification to the policy for those specific sailings on Millennium, Constellation, and Century is:

Guests who book a company sponsored shore excursion are permitted to bring back 2 bottles of wine per stateroom on the day of the excursion. When consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle will be subject to a $25 corkage fee. This amendment to the policy will be available on our website and communicated to Travel Agents.

As I read it, you can't just buy a couple of bottles from a nearby outlet whilst onshore.

Richard

We were on the Solstice last November departing from Barcelona. I noticed that they did not have a "Naughty Table" like they do in the Caribbean. We went back down a second time and got wine and no questions were asked. We bought wine in all of our ports and put them through the X-ray machine without any problems. Our last port was Dubrovnik and we were in a nice little wine shop tasting some of the wines. A very nice British couple from the ship entered and bemoaned the fact that they would not be able to take any onboard. I told them we had no difficulties and they happily purchased some wine and wishing they had known before the last port. I think it is unfair of Celebrity to cause such confusion for people. My son sails on Holland America and they can bring on all the wine they want. We are booked on a British Isles cruise with Celebrity next year and I will be looking for the "Naughty Table." if it is there I will want to why. Our cabin steward told us Europeans get very upset if you take their wine away. interesting.....

We were on the Solstice last November departing from Barcelona. I noticed that they did not have a "Naughty Table" like they do in the Caribbean. We went back down a second time and got wine and no questions were asked. We bought wine in all of our ports and put them through the X-ray machine without any problems. Our last port was Dubrovnik and we were in a nice little wine shop tasting some of the wines. A very nice British couple from the ship entered and bemoaned the fact that they would not be able to take any onboard. I told them we had no difficulties and they happily purchased some wine and wishing they had known before the last port. I think it is unfair of Celebrity to cause such confusion for people. My son sails on Holland America and they can bring on all the wine they want. We are booked on a British Isles cruise with Celebrity next year and I will be looking for the "Naughty Table." if it is there I will want to why. Our cabin steward told us Europeans get very upset if you take their wine away. interesting.....

Like you we were allowed to bring 2 bottles, too. Went right through X-ray boarding ship in Barcelona.

Archived