Oasis of the seas April 22 2018 "livish"

Let's talk chair hogs. Oh yeah, they exist. At the main pools however it appears the staff is policing this. I saw several clipboards of the layout with writing on it. I assume they do rounds to monitor unoccupied seats.

The solarium had a majority of the seats occupied. A few loungers had stuff in them, but that hasn't been the norm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ok, let's pick up where I left off last night.

We went to vintages to get a glass of wine before dinner. We were hoping to get seated for dinner a few minutes before 7 as we were seeing the 9pm Cats. Things were a little hectic when we arrived and we were told to wait at the trellis bar until a table opened up. We were seated about 715. Our server greeted us promptly and brought our bread and then seemingly abandoned us, no water, no drink orders. Unfortunately our server was also serving the large table which had a star class group at it. Us lowly gold level members didn't stand a chance.

Needless to say it started out a little rough. Fortunately it did get better. I was planning in getting the lamb, however our server advised against it. She said that it was very tough tonight. I decided to heed her warning and we went with the beef tenderloin for two. We ordered it medium but it came closer to medium rare, which is actually the way I prefer it, DW ate the ends which were a little more done. The appetizers I shared photos of above were all very good. I also tried the fennel salad, it was not good. The flavors did not go well together.

Both DW and I commented on how dinner at 150CP felt like what the main dining room used to be like, even as little as a decade ago.

We had the bourbon tart and donuts for dessert, both were good.

The service started out very rough, but once the star class people were served it got better. I would suggest avoiding a table near the big table if you can. The meal was a success.

We made it out just in time to get to Cats. We walked into the theatre just as the lights went down, there were still plenty of seats.

At intermission we decided to leave, the plan is to 2nd act it on the last sea day. We did a little bar hoping. The live band at Boleros is great and there were many people dancing.

I wanted to check out Blaze, the night club. We are not dancers, but we do like watching the crowd. There was quite a few people and the DJ seemed to have a good feel for the crowd. There were a lot of songs that us thirty somethings listened to in high school and college. There was one woman in particular who seemed quite inebriated and was sort of dancing to her own beat and dancing with the pole. At own point she lifted her dress and flashed the bar, it was all quite assuming. Fortunately it seemed she had a friend there who took her out, hopefully to bed.

We ended the night around midnight which I think is the latest we've stayed up in years.

One thing I forgot to mention was how many dressed up people I saw last night. There were a lot of suits and fancy dresses. At the last minute I threw a sport coat in the bag and I am glad I did. I haven't gotten that dressed up on a cruise ship in a long time. People seem to take formal night pretty seriously on this ship.

Another item, this morning I checked the tv and we were doing over 21 knots, but later we were down to 18. I am wondering if they slow us down a bit during the day to reduce wind on the upper decks.

I am guessing seas are 2-4 with a light chop. The ship barely has any movement.

When we were on Oasis 2 weeks ago I bought my wife one of the pineapple drinks. It was $12 w/o the drink package and either $8 or $9 with the drink package.

Bill

That's one expensive pineapple!

That's one expensive pineapple!
You aren't kidding. We didn't have the drink package but my son did and when he saw that price said it was ridiculous.

I bought the drink for my wife in the pineapple and one beer while we were docked in San Juan cost me $24

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

So I'm not sure if I'll keep up with this at all, but I thought I'd share my experience. I'm doing this from my phone so we'll let that be my excuse for bad spelling, grammar, or just about any other mistakes.

Short background. DW and I live in the Orlando Suburbs we are in our mid 30s and have two young boys. We are lucky to have family local so my SIL is watching the boys for us this week. We really needed a couples vacation. I work long hours out of town so my DW is home with the kids by herself a lot. We have taken a few cruises but this is our first in a big ship. Our last cruise was on the Empress so this is a good contrast.

We booked in January because we can't commit to anything too far out. We have a deck 12 starboard aft ocean view balcony. It is about twice the size of the interior cabin we had on Empress. We got what I felt was a very good deal. We have the deluxe beverage package, DW isn't a huge drinker but takes advantage of all of the other options such as coffee and smoothies in addition to a few alcoholic drinks throughout the day.

We also booked a 3 night speciality dining package.

More to follow....

Hey! Looks like we are on the same ship.

When we were on Oasis 2 weeks ago I bought my wife one of the pineapple drinks. It was $12 w/o the drink package and either $8 or $9 with the drink package.

Bill

Now that I've had a chance to think about it........ $8 or $9 for a PINEAPPLE!!! Sheesh...I'll think about that one for a while!

Will be on my first RC at the end of the year so just wanted to glean some Oasis insights/tips, and have to say surprisingly, I'm lovin' your review - and I don't even know if you're Eastern/Western! For some weird reason the voice I'm hearing this read in is Channing Tatum (tho with better marital outcome)...LOL! Appreciate the frankness & menu/food scans/pics!

cheers,

:)

So today thus far has been a bit of a bust. I don't normally eat and drink like I have been and my stomach has been unsettled. Before anyone gets worried I have no noro symptoms, just bloated. I've basically just lounged around all day. DW laid out on the top deck, she said it was very crowded and difficult to find a lounger. The weather has been gorgeous apart from a quick rain shower after breakfast.

We had reservations for giovannis this evening but decided to reschedule when I have more of an appetite.

We are scheduled for the ice show this evening, I am looking forward to that.

Tomorrow we are taking a boat/snorkel/beach excursion. Golden eagle sailaway. It had very good reviews on trip advisor. I booked it a week or so ahead of the cruise when they were having a sale, it cost 67. On board the price is 99.

Will be on my first RC at the end of the year so just wanted to glean some Oasis insights/tips, and have to say surprisingly, I'm lovin' your review - and I don't even know if you're Eastern/Western! For some weird reason the voice I'm hearing this read in is Channing Tatum (tho with better marital outcome)...LOL! Appreciate the frankness & menu/food scans/pics!

cheers,

This is an eastern route, first stop is st. Maarten tomorrow.

Think opposite of channing Tatum, I'm a nerdy engineer.

Glad you are enjoying it!

Nerdy engineer?!! Well I know you're a good guy cuz you're taking care of your wife and want to stay happily married! :D (I'm happily married to my geek too ;))

Great tip to split the Cats acts - I <3 Broadway and DH enjoys it but given the loose Cats storyline, I was concerned that he'd be squirmy. From the reviews I've read, I'm pretty sure we won't have any issues getting seats without reservations for Act 2 later in the cruise. (y) First time I'd read this strategy.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

cheers,

We made it out just in time to get to Cats. We walked into the theatre just as the lights went down, there were still plenty of seats.

At intermission we decided to leave, the plan is to 2nd act it on the last sea day.

We are on the same cruise. We went to the 9:00 pm showing of cats and it definitely emptied out at intermission. I think they are used to that but my recommendation is for you to go back to see the second half. I liked it much more than the first.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on the same cruise. We went to the 9:00 pm showing of cats and it definitely emptied out at intermission. I think they are used to that but my recommendation is for you to go back to see the second half. I liked it much more than the first.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah, I have heard the same thing. I knew we wouldn't make it through all of it, DW probably would have fallen asleep if we stayed. Unless something changes I'll definitely be going back on Saturday. Once we changed out of our formal clothes we got a second wind.

We are going to try to go to the solarium bistro without a reservation for dinner tonight. DW enjoyed it a lot the first night and since we changed our plans we thought we'll give it a shot.

I forgot to post the ridiculous wine menu from vintages. I think even if I hit the lottery there is no way I could justify the price. I know I can taste the difference between winking owl and stuff that costs 12 bottle but beyond that I'd be lost.f4ca62497e2628bcf7fc374945de5a9f.jpg

Are there USB outlets in the cabin or only the regular power sockets? I assume 2 US sockets and 1 EU socket?

Actually, our experience on Oasis was 3 US sockets and 1 EU socket at the desk.

Are there USB outlets in the cabin or only the regular power sockets? I assume 2 US sockets and 1 EU socket?
No USB, only 3 closely spaced outlets in the desk. Nothing by the bedside.